Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

10 hours ago, Legend said:

No . I think Rails have it at £19.75 rrp . Remember compared to the Bachmann one this is a small crane, a bit like the old Tri-ang one in size . 

The two cranes are nothing like the same size - the steam crane is a very different beast, even though the capacity isn't all that different.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MEGair said:

"It is a Mistake from what i have been told it will be more likely to be around  £40.00 "

I think that would be more like it.  Even at that price its good value.

Thanks Mick for the model photos too.

Mark

Yes, its impossible to believe that its that. The RRP is less than what Hornby were asking for the old Triang crane when they last issued it a few years ago!

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

No. Still not on the market. Last time I enquired it had switched from etch to 3D imaging. My D&S is still on the shelf with Brassmasters runner wagon awaiting the GWR conversion.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks for that, will drop them a message expressing interest.  Is there any indication exactly what the conversion kit will include? 

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, mozzer models said:

It is a Mistake from what i have been told it will be more likely to be around  £40.00

Which, lets face it, is still a good price for what you are getting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, 57xx said:

True, but you never know, they might buck past form and pull the rabbit from the hat on this.

Absolutely. But, by a similar token, I'll hold back from any pre-order and wait to see what's delivered (and whether it can be transposed to the SR).

Just now, Black 5 Bear said:

If the steam crane is anything like as good as the railgun, which I have no doubt will be the case this will be another milestone for OR.

I'll happily take your word for that. The railgun was of no interest to me, so I didn't really follow it much.

• Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

If the steam crane is anything like as good as the railgun, which I have no doubt will be the case, this will be another milestone for OR.

The railgun was quite a nice toy, very obviously built down to a price, to meet even the £40 mark, so will the crane be.

Jon

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

The railgun was quite a nice toy, very obviously built down to a price, to meet even the £40 mark, so will the crane be.

Jon

I question your label of a toy because it was quite obviously much more of a scale model than that.

I've seen various products from other well known manufacturers that can't hold a candle to this model.

As for a £40 price you quote, realistically the RRP was somewhere around £60.

This was still very much a bargain in today's market.

The few that I've seen left for sale at some outlets are closer to that mark.

I've got a feeling that we will again be pleasantly surprised both on quality and cost.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Omission.
  • Agree 4

Would my assumption that some of these may have made it into preservation be wide of the mark

Isn't there one at the NRM at York?  Think the miniature railway encircles it, out in the grounds?

Just looked it up on the NRM Collections site- looks similar, but different manufacturer, the Craven.  Apologies, I was busy trying to stop my 6-year old foster-daughter falling off the miniature train whilst she was waving to someone...

Edited by Ben B
Actually researched what I was saying...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

A few cranes from Flickr, none exactly like the picture Oxford have used.  All these pictures were taken in the mid 60s so they lasted well into the BR diesel era.

1964JULxxAHAR261cs

The first photo seems to show one of the second Midland batch of 1899; that's the Midland design of jib match truck. Has it gained a vacuum pipe? (But not vac brakes.)

The Gloucester crane is a different type: 20 tons capacity and with a different style of jib; the LT crane is a different type again.

36 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Certainly one in Ireland.

Is that one ex-Great Northern? In his second article on the Midland cranes, @Dave Hunt says that the crane supplied to the LT&SR, works No. 2933, was the only one supplied to mainland Britain to have the lattice bracing across the top and bottom of the jib; the others had plating with oval holes. He says that the lattice type was supplied to the Great Northern and to overseas customers [D. Hunt, Midland Record Vol. 6, pp 4-17].

Edited by Compound2632

foolishly I haven't got around to purchasing any of he Tatlow volumes on cranes. But I would assume oxford have not covered all variants of this crane - can anyone advise if any of these cranes were present on the southern pre-nationalization?

TIA :)