Rebuilt Patriots

My understanding is that Hornby have the latest Rebuilt Patriot offering. Can anyone list for me all the available offerings from Hornby, names/numbers, and in the order that they became available.

I know of a few, such as REME, Bunsen, Sir Frederick Harrison, Planet.

Are they all identical apart from the numbers/names, both internally and externally.?

My plan is to buy one, but I want to see whats on offer first.

Thanks.....................Bob

Hornby have also done Private W Woods V C. The Rebuilt Patriot is not listed in the current Hornby catalogue but you should be able to pick one up at quite a good price, certainly at exhibitions (Derby this weekend).

247 developments (will be at Derby this week end) do plates for Holyhead; Stephenson; Sir Frank Ree; Sir Robert Turnbull and REME - see http://247developments.co.uk/ex_lms_names.html

There may be small detail differences between class members but probably not obvious so renaming/ numbering should not be a problem. The 18 Patriots rebuilt were done over a fairly short period of time: 1946-49.

I have "Bunsen" as the prototype was a regular visitor to Birmingham New Stree during my spotting days there in the late 1950's.

If any one was going to reply to my thread, it was going to be the unknown warrior of course.

Thanks for your reply...sounds like you might be a similar age as you were spotting in the late 50's.

I quite fancy Planet or having one done as Stephenson, as both were as common as muck in my spotting days at Crewe late 50's early 60's, where I was born and bred, my father a 5A fireman / driver all his life.

I shall go and see what I can find in my local model shop.

Thanks..................Bob.

Bob,

Your father may well have driven the original (4)5551 as it was a 5A engine in the 1940's. Spent Wednesday at Peak Rail talking to men who had fired and driven Patriots: original and rebuilt.

The new 45551 Unknown Warrior is making good progress at Llangollan and may even hit the target of steaming into London on 11th November 2018. (the project has been endorsed by The British Legion). The Unknown Warrior is being built in original condition.

I used to drop into New Street on my way home from secondary school 1957-60 in time to see the Glasgow train arrive usually a Rebuilt Scot.

Best wishes,

John.

Hi John

Yep, your probably right about my dad, nowt much he wouldnt have fired or driven in his day off 5A I expect.

He was ultimately a top link driver on Lizzies, moving onto Diesels and then Electrics...until he died prematurely in 1978 at the age of 55.

I had a good few footplate rides with him as a youngster.....most Fridays he would take me into 5A when he went to pick up his wages. I do have a very vivid memory of "Stephenson" inside the shed undergoing some major repairs, I remember it was separated from its tender, I would only be about 7, about 1955.

I particularly like the unrebuilt Patriots.....I think I can say they are my favourite loco class, dont know why....but they just are.

Bob.

Bob,

Just had a look on the Hornby Web site. Most of the Patriots they have produced are still available so you should have no trouble finding one.

Have to say I prefer the Patriots in their unrebuilt form which is why I have become involved in the project to build a new one. When I talk to people about the project it is obvious that there are a lot of people around who have a soft spot for the original Patriot, so much so that they are willing to donate to the project. It is amazing that after only two years we have the frames set up, an original Fowler Tender and one pair of bogie wheels. The appeal by Heritage Railway Magazine to raise the money for the driving wheels is making good progress. A rolling chassis in 18 Months is a realistic prospect.

John.

Archived