On tonights ITV regional news ,film of protesters being evicted at Wenover today  two were given time on camera. Neither were british and did not seem to have much of an argument against the project   said they had been there six months  obviously not working .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 10/10/2021 at 18:55, DK123GWR said:

Good people with good intentions do strange things around power. I've seen it do frightening things to people my own age

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." – CS Lewis

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

On tonights ITV regional news ,film of protesters being evicted at Wenover today  two were given time on camera. Neither were british and did not seem to have much of an argument against the project   said they had been there six months  obviously not working .

The BBC radio news had an item earlier in the day about them saying they had been evicted.

One of the protesters said that "they were going to stay there until the government listens to them"

Exactly what were they going to say?

• Informative/Useful 2

OOC, 3 months ago, back in July....

Crossrail depot just visible on the left.

The big blue building stretching right across the background, is Hitachi's North Pole depot, on the other side of the GWML.

Old Oak Common Lane 27jul21

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/10/2021 at 20:33, lmsforever said:

I wonder how you know about their nationality

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The Woodman pub is sitting pretty for the future right outside the station entrance.

Like the old station building, it's located down towards the far end of the new HS2 station, near one of the side

entrances and just beyond the planned tram station.

3174489_hs2_200114_birminghamcurzonstree

Front / Main  entrance....

HS2_200114_Birmingham-Curzon-Street-stat

Front entrance.

_103786637_ff5ae51a-0d40-4822-be35-6912b

17093_CURZON_Dusk_004.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The former Curzon Street Railway Station main building, undergoing a full restoration  (October 2021).......

HS2   The former Curzon St  Railway Station is having a refurb,

Undergoing a full restoration...    again. I recall it was restored in the 1980s and used for a while by (I might be wrong) The Princes Trust. I wonder how long the current restoration will last, and whether they'll ever find a proper use for the building. Does it have any function for HS2, other than lending its name to the new station?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/10/2021 at 21:33, lmsforever said:

But one of them was "Swampy", aka Dan Hooper, who is most definitely of this parish.

He was boasting that they could be there until Christmas, but said he would be in trouble with his family if he was not home by then......

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

But one of them was "Swampy", aka Dan Hooper, who is most definitely of this parish.

He was boasting that they could be there until Christmas, but said he would be in trouble with his family if he was not home by then......

Swampys english is not very good but definitely one was not of the UK

4 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

Undergoing a full restoration...    again. I recall it was restored in the 1980s and used for a while by (I might be wrong) The Princes Trust. I wonder how long the current restoration will last, and whether they'll ever find a proper use for the building. Does it have any function for HS2, other than lending its name to the new station?

Whatever they did back in the 1980's (that's well over 30 years ago), must have been rather superficial, because the building has been on the "at risk" list for some time and was in danger of partial collapse.

The claim is they'll bring back the Grade 1 listed building to its former glory, restoring original features, employing traditional techniques where appropriate and adding some modern enhancements;

From what I've read, work on the old Station building will include.....

a new steel structural frame to strengthen the building,

roof repairs,

structural repairs to the external façade,

restoring the original windows,

a full clean of the external building masonry,

restoring the historic staircase and adding a new glass balustrade,

internal fit-out,

replacing all internal doors with fire compliant replicas,

a new lift giving access to all four levels,

introducing accessibility facilities.

The plan is to use the old station building as a HS2 visitors centre, with flexible facilities for office space, exhibition purposes and catering.

The Pub is a Grade 2 listed building.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The Pub is a Grade 2 listed building.

And IIRC was going to be knocked down at one point.

The Eagle & Tun will go (or has already gone?)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2021 at 13:17, woodenhead said:

The Woodman pub is sitting pretty for the future right outside the station entrance.

If we we feeling brave that was one of our student haunts in the late 80s / early 90s. Could get a bit lively at times and at others was sedate dominoes and darts.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Kun Darnley, 42, who lives in nearby Chilwell, said she was looking to buy in Toton but wanted to know where exactly the train tracks will go before doing so.  She said: "People who are looking to buy property round here, who have a family, there's concern about safety.  "I'm worried about the train tracks. I'd like to know where exactly they're going to build it and how they're going to keep kids safe."

Does she think they're going to lay the tracks along a road through the existing housing estate?  How are they going to keep kids safe?  I can answer that, the railway will be securely fenced in.  However the biggest contribution to their safety will be when SHE teaches HER children to never play on railway lines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Kun Darnley, 42, who lives in nearby Chilwell, said she was looking to buy in Toton but wanted to know where exactly the train tracks will go before doing so.  She said: "People who are looking to buy property round here, who have a family, there's concern about safety.  "I'm worried about the train tracks. I'd like to know where exactly they're going to build it and how they're going to keep kids safe."

Does she think they're going to lay the tracks along a road through the existing housing estate?  How are they going to keep kids safe?  I can answer that, the railway will be securely fenced in.  However the biggest contribution to their safety will be when SHE teaches HER children to never play on railway lines.

Sums up current day parents - it's always someone else who has to take responsibility, not them. Part of the reason we now seem to have a generation of feral children ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Yesterday i happened to drive through Wendover and came up to the traffic jam caused by the removal of the squaters camp. On a local website people are getting annoyed about being slowed down by the works, most of the comments are rubbish but one suggested backhanders to whom I have no idea. I wonder what these people will do when the bridges are complete and trackbeds formed .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 17/10/2021 at 09:17, ess1uk said:

Whilst a very interesting, alternative, personal perspective, he really does blow his own trumpet rather too much.

For example, the NAO report was nowhere near as glowing in its 2012 findings as he makes out, the project having come in 18% above budget and well late compared to the original ambitions (although they do say the overcost and overrun were not as bad as some other railway projects!!). But this contrasts markedly with the claims he makes in the article - he would have been better to have qualified his claims as within the situation they found themselves.

The use of the HS1 benefits and options, at 300 kph, are not seriously comparable with the choices facing HS2 - 13 different options were studied for HS2, whereas HS1 had basically 3/4 options, albeit with significant variants within them.

The various East-West links were studied by HS2, but almost all of them involved expense and/or demolitions that simply could not be justified given known demand, especially of the advent of cheap flights by then. Things may change in time of course.

The South West link still faces enormous hurdles, due either to road traffic hindrance, or the enormous costs of avoiding them.

So, with the greatest respect to a very able, competent and demonstrably effective ex-CEO, a not particularly useful addition to the debate, certainly at this late stage.

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think we've all seen those projects 'on time and on budget'  but fail to mention it only does 80% of what it was meant to and key elements that would create the most benefit were missing.

But I still got very drunk at the celebratory back slapping meal for the project completion in the solid knowledge it was my neck on the chopping block if I didn't make those in charge realise that I was now running this new 'solution' with not one but both hands tied behind my back.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1