One of the bigwigs from HS2 has just been on NorthWest News on the BBC, visiting a company in Bolton which has won a contract for the pressure doors between the up and down tunnels. He gave it as his opinion that the bill for the Crewe - Manchester leg will be brought forward in two or three years' time. He also rehearsed the point about increased capacity on classic lines. I missed what he said about the Golborne Spur.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Grant Shapps was supposed to be in Durham today to announce Hitachi HS2 rolling stock contract but has not gone due to covid precautions 

Sounds like there is an upside to Covid then.

• Funny 5

Officially announced......

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/hitachi-rail-global/pressreleases/hitachi-and-alstom-win-order-to-build-and-maintain-high-speed-two-trains-in-britain-3149776

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/hs2s-2bn-train-contracts-finally-awarded-after-covid-delays-and-legal-wrangling-09-12-2021/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59597308

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/HS2-hitachi-alstom-jv-rolling-stock-contracts

The first train expected to roll off the production line in 2027.........just over 5 years from now.

This is the Phase 1 order.

54 trains

8-car

200 metres long  (average car length 25 metres)

About the same length of a 9-car Class 390 Pendolino

Will also run on some services in pairs of 2x 200m (16-cars long)

nx1uouaaojwjph4ssiqo.jpg

je1tgxka5paxqunvatcv.jpg

teznetcpj0etboaglaf5.jpg

zylqqjlxyvq4exfrdfss.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

If the trains are built on schedule, but Phase 1 is due for completion in 2029-2033, where will the they be tested while awaiting completion of the railway? Or will the line be built to a stage that some testing can be performed by that date, but not yet ready to open? Or, will the line be fully built, but 2-6 years are needed purely for testing?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

If the trains are built on schedule, but Phase 1 is due for completion in 2029-2033, where will the they be tested while awaiting completion of the railway? Or will the line be built to a stage that some testing can be performed by that date, but not yet ready to open? Or, will the line be fully built, but 2-6 years are needed purely for testing?

They will hopefully be suitable to be tested on HS1....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

Phase one is due to be completed in 2027-2028, with the line open and services due to start between 2029-2033.

That's the 2 - 3 year testing and commissioning gap.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The French LGV's were complete at least a year before services could start. The latest one the SEA to Bordeaux was structurally complete at least 18 months before services started.

On a completely different tack. I've been logging the progress of the Chiltern Tunnels on a spreadsheet and have just gai fully employed wasted some time doing a little analysis.  They are averaging between 11 and 12 metres per day with DFlorence on 11.8 and  Cecelia on 11.2.  The highest output was 15 m per day in October with Florrnce on 15.9 and Cecelia on 14.97.

If I could work out how to show the progress on a graph I would.

Jamie

• Like 2

On the subject of tunnelling, parts of the latest TBM (the 6th to be delivered) have started to arrive at the Bromford Tunnel east portal, Birmingham.

This tunnel is on the Birmingham spur off HS2, located just west of the Delta junction.

The western portal is located alongside the new Washwood Heath HS2 depot.

Map-of-proposed-Bromford-Tunnel-eastern-

1639067212501-png.2475919

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

From the comments in A.N.OTHER thread, some of us will be more interested in who's deciding how little they'll be allowed to spend on the seats.....

John

You want seats?:D

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The French LGV's were complete at least a year before services could start. The latest one the SEA to Bordeaux was structurally complete at least 18 months before services started.

On a completely different tack. I've been logging the progress of the Chiltern Tunnels on a spreadsheet and have just gai fully employed wasted some time doing a little analysis.  They are averaging between 11 and 12 metres per day with DFlorence on 11.8 and  Cecelia on 11.2.  The highest output was 15 m per day in October with Florrnce on 15.9 and Cecelia on 14.97.

If I could work out how to show the progress on a graph I would.

Jamie

Most spreadsheets have a graph option that will do most of the work for you.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Most spreadsheets have a graph option that will do most of the work for you.

That's the problem. I learned graphs on Supercalc 5 when I could specify exactly what I wanted. Now it's all done with wizards specced by spotty yoofs in Silicon Valley and they usually don't have the options that I want.  However I will have a go when I have time to spare  waste.

Somewhere I've got the progress sheet for the channel tunnel where you could ring up each week and listen to a recording of the progress of each of the 11 TBM's. I had a map on my office wall that I had enlarged from Bakers Rail Atlas, and marked the progress off each week.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

bentley-indigo-full-size-ironing-board-c

Although funny, the new seats in the 800 are hard enough to stop us using the train and use the car to get from Cornwall to just about anywhere.

Oh for the HST First Class seats :wub:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That's the problem. I learned graphs on Supercalc 5 when I could specify exactly what I wanted. Now it's all done with wizards specced by spotty yoofs in Silicon Valley and they usually don't have the options that I want.  However I will have a go when I have time to spare  waste.

Which spreadsheet are you using now ?

Adrian

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

To quote Mary Poppins:

"Supercalc is quite simplistic, Excel is atrocious!"

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6