• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

They are one of the Big 3 (the others being Otis and Schindler).

I've always been amused by Schindler's lift. But I am a simple soul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

What is a "framework to deliver"? Is it an actual lift?

Martin.

I think it's just a framework contract as suggested, and "to deliver" isn't part of its formal description.  Think of it with a comma between "framework" and "to".  

• Agree 1

Saltley, Birmingham, looking south.

Washwood Heath is behind the camera.

HS2 will come in from the bottom of the photo.

Works are progressing in the foreground, digging foundations for the long viaduct that will take HS2 over the Lawley Street intermodal terminal (upper middle centre) and to Curzon Street (where the red crane is, just to the left of the pink building).

The little River Rea is on the right of the railway, and the Grand Union Canal is on the left.

[Note: Click on the photo to go to Flikr and click on the photo again to zoom, for better detail.]

66719 at Saltley

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Works are progressing in the foreground, digging foundations for the long viaduct that will take HS2 over the Lawley Street intermodal terminal (upper middle centre) and to Curzon Street (where the red crane is, just to the left of the pink building).

The little River Rea is on the right of the railway, and the Grand Union Canal is on the left.

66719 at Saltley

Great view - thanks for posting that. The rather large new depot will be behind the camera at Washwood Heath too, one of my guvnors showed me the plans when I had to go to a safety brief at Lawley Street a few months ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

66719 at Saltley

could someone who knows draw a rough line on that photo to show where the viaduct will go?

just wondering how close the WMSC will be.

cheers

3 hours ago, ess1uk said:

could someone who knows draw a rough line on that photo to show where the viaduct will go?

just wondering how close the WMSC will be.

cheers

In the photo, moving towards Curzon St., the viaduct appears to start crossing the railway tracks roughly opposite the WMSC.

Here's a link to the HS2 interactive map.

It can be zoomed in and out.

https://www.hs2.org.uk/in-your-area/map/#16/52.4863/-1.8673/filter=hs2-stations,hs2-network

Here are the "Property Scheme Maps" covering that area (Curzon St. to Washwood Heath).......

https://assets.hs2.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/1LR02-WSP-LP-MAP-C000-100019.pdf

https://assets.hs2.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/1LR02-WSP-LP-MAP-C000-100018.pdf

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The "pink" building is Selfridges, under a rather fancy cladding while it is being worked on.

The main line from New Street to Euston runs horizontally to the left from near the base of the crane, mainly on an embankment.

You can also see to the left of the crane and further back the tall GWR viaduct over the Rea Valley.

Just to the left of the crane and right in the distance is the Birmingham University clocktower (the world's tallest freestanding clocktower)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

HS2 Manchester terminus mentioned on Radio 4 this evening. Apparently Mancunians think an above-ground station with approach viaducts will be ugly - after all, Manchester is famous for its aesthetics. They want an underground through station that curves north-east and joins onto whatever the Northern Powerhut railway is called.

I have no idea why they think millions of extra money can be found for Manchester, when Birmingham has an equally strong case for a through HS2 station, so that the huge conurbation of the Black Country could be served.

https://www.manchesterworld.uk/news/uproar-at-unsightly-new-train-station-proposed-for-hs2-in-manchester-3534731

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A link to this video appeared on my Youtube feed today.  The guy is a member of the Chilter Society and  produces one of these every 6 months.  He us obviously not a fan but appears to be fascinated by the engineering. I ignore his sometimes cynical comments but do enjoy seeing what us a well laid out record of construction progress.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A link to this video appeared on my Youtube feed today.  The guy is a member of the Chilter Society and  produces one of these every 6 months.  He us obviously not a fan but appears to be fascinated by the engineering. I ignore his sometimes cynical comments but do enjoy seeing what us a well laid out record of construction progress.

Jamie

I gave up after 3 minutes, I was losing the will to live.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Very informative 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The HS2 tunnelling progress was updated to yesterday. Florence is now 2,892 metres in and Cecilia is at 2482. No update on Dorothy yet.  Cecilia has really cracked on at over 18 metres per day.  Why when I'm typing the names of the machines do I want to call Cecilua, Ermintrude. Must be my misspent youth.

Jamie

• Like 8

Here is a link (via a Railway Gazette summary) to the Mott MacDonald report that HMG commissioned to advise the IRP decision on Phase 2B East. Apparently, it was issued in October, before the IRP was issued, but has only been publicly released now.

In case you can't read/see it, MM looked at 4 different options, from minimalist through to the full Monty. They concluded only the original plan delivered the full strategic objectives required by the IRP, but recognised there may not be enough money to fund that. The truncated plan adopted by the govt basically achieves next to nothing for Leeds, and only benefits Nottingham to any significant degree, not even Sheffield. They still recommend continuing with the original plan when funds allow.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/high-speed-2-news/government-told-hs2-eastern-leg-alternatives-struggle-to-meet-strategic-objectives/60799.article

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

By shots TBM Dorothy has moved a long way.  Accordi g to the interactive map it's currently heading out under The North Sea somewhere near Lindifarne.  Perhaps it will meet me on the corner.

Jamie

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

By shots TBM Dorothy has moved a long way.  Accordi g to the interactive map it's currently heading out under The North Sea somewhere near Lindifarne.  Perhaps it will meet me on the corner.

Jamie

Perhaps HS now stands for "Hello, Sweden!"?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

It may well miss you if there is any Fog on the Tyne

• Funny 2