• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2022 at 09:27, Ron Ron Ron said:

Good question.

No information has been released yet.

There are different types of vehicle used.

There’s a personnel carrier type, which might be the vehicle involved in the fire.

Some of these vehicles can be seen in this video……

I assume those are double ended like airport transfer shuttle buses.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

haul road

temporary road built

Some sloppy reporting there, only moving 30 cubic metres of soil to build a 50 mile long haul road 🤣🤣🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, big jim said:

wonder how many locals would be quite happy for the roads to be left in place once construction is finished? 

Or maybe reduced in width to become a 50 mile walking / cycling and horse riding trail - I guess it depends on the route and how close it is to HS2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or maybe reduced in width to become a 50 mile walking / cycling and horse riding trail - I guess it depends on the route and how close it is to HS2.

i like that idea, it does say some of it will be repurposed 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, big jim said:

i like that idea, it does say some of it will be repurposed 

Agreed. I read somewhere recently that there was going to be a coordinated plan to re-purpose many of the HS2 construction roads into public rights of way, which would seem to be cheaper than restoring the land, provided someone adopts the maintenance and renewal/repair obligations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The new bridge over the Derby lines at Washwood Heath just had a feature on BBC Midlands Today.

First train crossed at 9:37 this morning according to the report, which shows on RTT as a Southampton Docks to Masborough freight (401D)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good evening all, 

I bring news from the front... Finally after lots of "discussions" with a lot of people, early starts and road closures, we've finally started delivering the sections to the Chipping warden Green tunnel site, and today after a very hefty dose of "hurry up and wait" we finally managed to take the first piece down in to the excavation, so here's a brief recap of the last few days of "fun"

So the first pic is 5 central piers going up to site on full road closure for safety reasons, at daft o clock on Sunday morning.

Next pic is a passengers pov driving down the ramp in to the excavation looking down to the end where the A361 crosses the site. 

Then down to the pad, and looking back up in the direction the tunnel will run

And finally the first piece of is clear of the trailer, tomorrow it'll be upended and positioned and the build starts in earnest, this is one of those odd moments where I'm genuinely witnessing and playing apart in something that will be around long after I'm not

IMG_20220522_094200.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0000.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, kryten65 said:

this is one of those odd moments where I'm genuinely witnessing and playing apart in something that will be around long after I'm not

And the only thing recognisable to those who built the last railway from London to Birmingham is the wheelbarrow.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I travelled from Reading to Brum at the weekend and there's been a massive change since the last time I did the journey 11 weeks ago, where the railway crosses the various work sites, the only place that didn't show much difference was Curzon Street.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

And the only thing recognisable to those who built the last railway from London to Birmingham is the wheelbarrow.

The old frontage of the original station from 1838 is still there and being incorporated in the new one:

1024px-Curzon_Street_railway_station-3Ju

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

The old frontage of the original station from 1838 is still there and being incorporated in the new one:

1024px-Curzon_Street_railway_station-3Ju

I was referring to the photos posted by kryten65.

Martin.

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

The old station building is being properly restored, updated and reinforced (it was in a bad way, structurally) and will sit within the new station lands, but it isn’t being incorporated into the new station, or due to fulfil any real useful part of the new HS2 station.

It’ll remain as a separate (listed) building, initially being used as a visitor centre and coffee shop, before ultimately being repurposed.

Probably it’ll be turned into a Nando’s or some such, in due course.

The old station building looks like this at the moment  ( it’s under the white sheeting, left of centre)……...

High Speed Rail 2 (HS2)

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

I was referring to the photos posted by kryten65.

Martin.

Yes I get it now.

I thought there was actually a wheelbarrow left from the original construction, also a spade as commemorative items.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

A pity about the Curzon Street station as the early announcements I saw certainly suggested strongly that it was being incorporated as part of the new station. That is actually the end of the station where many people will want to enter and exit.

Jonathan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

A pity about the Curzon Street station as the early announcements I saw certainly suggested strongly that it was being incorporated as part of the new station. That is actually the end of the station where many people will want to enter and exit.

Jonathan

There will be an entrance to the station at that end, but the alignment means the old building is actually a short distance away from it, so it's difficult to see how it could have been incorporated as part of the operational station.  To do so would probably have required drastic changes in the historic structure in any case.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

I was under that impression, originally, but having seen the work site from a hotel window, the end of station works is a lot closer to Moor Street than I imagined, so transfers to and from Moor Street will be an easy walk and not to bad onto New Street.