I live just down the road in Aylesbury and when I drive past the works on the way to Thame you dont realise the magnitude of them .The works at  Wendover are progressing fast and you can see very clearly the start of the road bridge over the london Rd .As you come down off the hills down into Wendover the works are very clear with a large cement work  building.

• Like 5

The TBM cutting the first of the Long Itchington Wood tunnel bores, Dorothy, is only 200 metres from breaking out into the open.

That’s only slightly more than the length of the  TBM rig itself.

At the current rate of progress, Dorothy should be arriving at the south portal within a fortnight.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's amazing how the part built arch can stay up with only one end.

It's balanced on the other side of the pierwith strengthening cables threaded the whole length I think.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

At the Long Itchington Wood tunnel.....

HS2 ltd have reported that TBM Dorothy, was within 96m of breaking out into the south portal, on 4th July  (that's already 7 days ago).

At the rate of around 15m per day, Dorothy should be emerging either today, or tomorrow .

If they have slowed down for the final stretch, it could be as late as Wednesday this week.

Expect a PR announcement soon.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Meanwhile down under the Chiltern hills.....

HS2 Ltd reported that on 5th July (6 days ago) .....

Florence had reached 4894m

Cecelia had reached 4619m

Almost one third of these tunnels completed.

Both TBM's have passed Chalfont St. Giles and are way past the River Misbourne, with no sign of that river having disappearing down a hole, as the environmentalists had predicted.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

could someone who knows please educate me as to why the work seems so wide and "wiggly" and not arrow straight?

i'm no civil engineer and appreciate terrain etc plays a part, but why do the haul roads zig zag so much?

i know it will all be cleaned up eventually and in a couple of years you will not even be able to see most of the earth works but it does look incredibly messy to me right now.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

could someone who knows please educate me as to why the work seems so wide and "wiggly" and not arrow straight?

i'm no civil engineer and appreciate terrain etc plays a part, but why do the haul roads zig zag so much?

i know it will all be cleaned up eventually and in a couple of years you will not even be able to see most of the earth works but it does look incredibly messy to me right now.

That’s something that’s puzzled me too.

The  “wiggly” haul roads.

I can understand the variations in the local terrain, but in quite a few places, the roads appear to cross what looks like the line of the future track formation..

Presumably, the earthworks are quite wide in places, for a number of reasons.

Temporary earth and spoil storage, allowing improved construction access, work site bases, regrading of the adjoining landscape to blend in with the new railway, creating visual and sound mitigating barriers, environmental mitigation projects, such as providing or adjusting land drainage and water storage, creating habitats, ponds etc.

• Like 2

I'd guess that it's because the haul roads are slow speed and they want to do the minimum of earthworks for them (to reduce time, cost and impact).  So they may have to zigzag to get a reasonable gradient over even minor undulations in the terrain.  

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

HS2 timeline of major events to 2025, provided by the New Civil Engineer online magazine website.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/hs2-timeline-of-major-events-to-2025-revealed-15-07-2022/

HS2 timeline 2022 – 2025

July - 

Start construction of Old Oak Common’s station for the GWML platforms

Contract award for Birmingham interchange station (Note: just awarded to Laing O’Rourke)

August-

Tunnelling begins on Northolt tunnel (The TBM's are currently being assembled and prepared for testing)

September -

Contract award for Phase 2a design and delivery partner

October -

Concept design completed for HS2 trains

December -

Invitation to tender for HS2 main works (Phase 2a ???)

January -

Long Itchingdon Wood tunnelling completed  (i.e. The 2nd bore completed. The first bore is almost finished)

Contract award for railway track

February -

Construction starts on Curzon Street station

(Current status in July - remaining site clearance underway, removal and/or diversion of utilities completed. Piling and ground work continues)

March -

Tunnelling starts on Bromford tunnel, on the approach into Birmingham. (TBM sections are already being delivered to the site)

May -

Contract award for signalling systems

October -

Contract award for Washwood Heath depot and systems control centre

All rail systems contracts awarded

February -

Tunnelling starts on Euston tunnel

March -

Tunnelling completed on the Chiltern tunnel  (One third completed in July 2022)

April -

Old Oak Common west box complete

August -

Tunnelling complete on Northolt tunnel

September -

Tunnelling complete on Bromford tunnel

May -

Colne Valley Viaduct construction complete

June -

Euston tunnel complete

Align JV completes work

September -

EKFB JV completes work

Major Network Rail interfaces complete in Birmingham city centre

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

Dominic Cummings has has his say about HS2:

HS2. This was one of the worst decisions Boris made. In January 2020 the ‘evidence’ was presented to No10. It included a laughable graph that showed exponentially rising demand for rail travel resulting in the entire country either on HS2/HS3/HS4 etc or building them. The best argument the IPA had was: it’s so far advanced that cancelling it would be bad for supply chains. The management of the Department for Transport was appalling and it’s stuck in a culture of doing everything extremely slowly and expensively. It was scheduled to cost ~£35 in this Parliament and over 100B total. Obviously these budgets will keep growing. I don’t know how much has been ploughed into it or how feasible it would be to bin it now but it’s possible that binning the whole stupid thing would be better than being another ‘sunk cost fallacy mega-project’ case study. I assume the project will continue with rubbish management getting ever more expensive and Labour will support this. By the time it operates it will be a global lesson in government failure on mega-projects. 

Mean while in another part of the Galaxy the Chinese have built ~40,000Km of high speed lines in around 20 years. 

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Dominic Cummings has has his say about HS2:

Mean while in another part of the Galaxy the Chinese have built ~40,000Km of high speed lines in around 20 years. 

Very interesting lesson in how this man's mind operates. Everything's cr8p and awful, unless he thought of it first. I would not like to live in there....

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

I see that social media experts now have the total cost as £200bn or £126bn or, or, or ....

Whilst we can see the need to free up capacity on the legacy network by building new infrastructure or upgrading where that is the cheaper option it amazes me how many cannot understand that aspect. I guess they still haven't grasped that the days of cheap oil (and therefore petrol/diesel) are long gone.

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Very interesting lesson in how this man's mind operates. Everything's cr8p and awful, unless he thought of it first. I would not like to live in there....

Absolutely!

It amazes me that anyone ever took him seriously anyway but now? Who gives that man any credence?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Hopefully Cummings will now slide off into obscurity, now that his sole remaining purpose (publicly attacking his ex-boss) is no longer needed. 

There are many politicians that you long to do this but they keep rising from the dead!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Hopefully Cummings will now slide off into obscurity, now that his sole remaining purpose (publicly attacking his ex-boss) is no longer needed. 

He is still doing it, I don’t think he will stop until his old boss is as obscure as he is, not that he realises that fact.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Another update video from the Chiltern Society. I found it very informative. The guy obviously has been given a lot of access and has produced some great pictures and explanations of how things are being built. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1