4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

This thread has been on-topic for far too long. Under RMweb rules, here's a diversion:

Oi!! Although gently soporific, what on earth!!??

Back to the UK's efforts, with the occasional international examples of High Speed, not urban transit. I thank you.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 23:14, Ron Ron Ron said:

Rather strange that there's no news of Dorothy emerging at the south portal.

It's 16 days (4th July) since they reported 96 metres left to go.

I predicted on here, that it should have happened last week.

Pure guesswork on my part, based on the rate of progress, but I got that completely wrong.

I have been told by someone working on the tunnel that they have 2m left to go but have to change the teeth on the cutting head before breaking through the concrete plug in the receiving box.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

In honour of Dorothy's achievement it's time for an updated progress graph.

1302236038_HS2tunnels250722.png.579494e7c8133155551471a820a5441f.png

They are certainly getting on with the job.

Big decision now,  Do I start from zero again for Dorothy or continue her progress to a target of 2960.  I will probably go for the latter as other machines are due to launch soon.

Jamie

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

.......Big decision now,  Do I start from zero again for Dorothy or continue her progress to a target of 2960.  I will probably go for the latter as other machines are due to launch soon.

I'd go for the latter (continuing to a 2nd target line), as it will be consistent with the other tunnels, which show only one bore to completion

Keep the first blue line, as a reference, or delineator.

May I suggest re-labelling the yellow line to denote that it's the target for both Chiltern's TBMs.

There's a suggestion (Modern Railways?) that Dorothy will be refurbished and re-used on another tunnel (digging the second Bromford bore), after completing the 2nd bore at Long itchington Wood.

If that is the case, that tunnel would warrant a brand new line on your chart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I'd go for the latter (continuing to a 2nd target line), as it will be consistent with the other tunnels, which show only one bore to completion

Keep the first blue line, as a reference, or delineator.

May I suggest re-labelling the yellow line to denote that it's the target for both Chiltern's TBMs.

There's a suggestion (Modern Railways?) that Dorothy will be refurbished and re-used on another tunnel (digging the second Bromford bore), after completing the 2nd bore at Long itchington Wood.

If that is the case, that tunnel would warrant a brand new line on your chart.

Yes I will continue the Green line in some fashion but probably  with a vertical step to avoid confusion.  I'll work something out.  As to the yellow line I'll see what I can do.  I'm glad that people are taking interest.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Why were there reinforced “walls” at the end of the tunnel……was this a set up for filming?

Guessing here...

Maybe to prevent internal collapse, as the TBM cutting head approached the end, with no back pressure to cut against ?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Why were there reinforced “walls” at the end of the tunnel……was this a set up for filming?

I think it’s to prevent the earth immediately behind collapsing. If it was an open ring the TBM might push huge chunks of earth out as it approaches which might leave unexpected voids when they complete the tunnel rings. With the reinforcement in place it stays in one block and the TBM can cut a nice neat tunnel through it. I expect the reinforcement bars are actually glass fibre rather than steel. In the update videos from the Chiltern Society posted further back they talk about the vent shafts. The bottom of those is made with glass fibre rods in the concrete, rather than steel, so the TBMs can cut through them. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes I will continue the Green line in some fashion but probably  with a vertical step to avoid confusion.  I'll work something out.  As to the yellow line I'll see what I can do.  I'm glad that people are taking interest.

Jamie

Could you also add lines on for the vent shafts? The two Chiltern TBMs reach five different shafts (4 ventilation and 1 intervention) along the route, so that would be a nice added way to keep track of progress. They’ve already gone past the first. And perhaps add a label for when they shut down because of the fire? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I think it’s to prevent the earth immediately behind collapsing. If it was an open ring the TBM might push huge chunks of earth out as it approaches which might leave unexpected voids when they complete the tunnel rings. With the reinforcement in place it stays in one block and the TBM can cut a nice neat tunnel through it. I expect the reinforcement bars are actually glass fibre rather than steel. In the update videos from the Chiltern Society posted further back they talk about the vent shafts. The bottom of those is made with glass fibre rods in the concrete, rather than steel, so the TBMs can cut through them. 

No idea, I just remember seeing the channel tunnel “moles” breaking through virgin earth/mud.

That clip looked like a film set 😁

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

That's something I noticed.

With all the mayhem, there didn't seem to be any bent rods, apart from those still under load.

Plenty of broken/cut bits but most seem to spring back into line.

With steel I would've expected a lot of twisted metal.

Edited by melmerby
banana fingers

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

.......That clip looked like a film set 😁

Yeh !

It looked like the same set they used to fake the Apollo Moon landings.

Those Lizard overlords are very sneaky, but they can't fool all of us humans.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Yeh !

All those cameras and not one got in the field of view of another. 🙂

Must've been stop motion. Aardman at it's finest.......

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Could you also add lines on for the vent shafts? The two Chiltern TBMs reach five different shafts (4 ventilation and 1 intervention) along the route, so that would be a nice added way to keep track of progress. They’ve already gone past the first. And perhaps add a label for when they shut down because of the fire? 

A bit too tricky for my spreadsheet skills. Also there are no accurate distances for the shafts that I've got access to. 

Jamie

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

No idea, I just remember seeing the channel tunnel “moles” breaking through virgin earth/mud.

That clip looked like a film set 😁

Perhaps they could rename the breakthrough site 'Hobbes Lane'  as in Quatermass and the Pit.

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Yeh !

Just one look at your Avatar convinced me years ago 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 26/07/2022 at 16:17, Ron Ron Ron said:

Yeh !

Or even to fake the Channel Tunnel breakthrough. Though, given the cost of setting up a complete fake Paris (complete with rude waiters and reproductiions of evety painting in the Louvre) somewhere in Kent I reckon they might have done better to actually tunnel under the channel.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Pete Waterman gets in on the act.......

6 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Perhaps he is going to put a model railway through it?

If certain ministers got their way that's all that would be going through it........

• Like 1
  • Funny 2