• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

For a brief instance, I thought I’d have to Google or look up “casecit’s” in the dictionary.

Another posh word I wasn’t familiar with….!

That was my own senior moment this morning.

I wouldn't want you to be carted off by those nice young men in those clean white coats. (To quote an old song). I've edited out that case of fat finger syndrome.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

more delays

this time down to leadership? contest

"as a result of the ongoing leadership changes in government, the approvals we need to issue the PQQ have been delayed.”

Is this clear proof that we live in a dictatorship?  We still have a SoS for Transport to sign off the contracts so why would the party leader need to have any say at all, unless no SoS ever agrees to anything without running it past the PM?

Doesn't the SoS have any opinions of his own, so is scared to express one in case the new leader doesn't agree with it......?

Or have I just answered my own question?

Second thoughts, perhaps such contracts need Treasury endorsement and as the Chancellor is a leadership candidate......  In that case, it implies that the UK currently has no active government.

Edited by Northmoor
Extra point
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

"as a result of the ongoing leadership changes in government, the approvals we need to issue the PQQ have been delayed.”

Is this clear proof that we live in a dictatorship?  We still have a SoS for Transport to sign off the contracts so why would the party leader need to have any say at all, unless no SoS ever agrees to anything without running it past the PM?

Doesn't the SoS have any opinions of his own, so is scared to express one in case the new leader doesn't agree with it......?

Or have I just answered my own question?

Second thoughts, perhaps such contracts need Treasury endorsement and as the Chancellor is a leadership candidate......  In that case, it implies that the UK currently has no active government.

One of the two current leadership candidates is the EX-chancellor. So no reason for the current caretaker bunch not to make a decision. But why do they need to do so? Phase 2A is effectively approved, so the only decision needed is whether the procurement process meets the policy directives of the Treasury - run of the mill decision - which means this really is a country without a government right now.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The cynic in me says that as the delay will increase costs it will then require another round of consultations etc etc etc by which time the costs will have increased so much that there will be an excuse to cancel it. So nothing to do with a lack of leadership and all to do with a wish to can the project.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The current Chancellor is Nadhim Zahawi, so could make any decisions required.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

20 hours ago, ess1uk said:

The story is also carried here …….

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2022/08/17/faults-found-on-giant-hs2-green-tunnel-segments/

If they have to demolish what’s already been built, at least the issue was caught early on and not after something like quarter of a mile has been built.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2022/08/17/faults-found-on-giant-hs2-green-tunnel-segments/

If they have to demolish what’s already been built, at least the issue was caught early on and not after something like quarter of a mile has been built..

Am I missing something?

HS2-VL-41275-220608_HS2_EKFB_Progress_G2

linked from https://www.constructionenquirer.com

Why does it need to be a tunnel? A retaining wall each side, with a few footbridges across, would surely be a lot cheaper?

Perhaps if the tunnel design has failed, that's what it will end up as. Maybe there was a deliberate mistake in the design? 🙂

Even in the photo I can see that the left-hand arch isn't locating on the central column properly.

Martin.

19 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Am I missing something?

HS2-VL-41275-220608_HS2_EKFB_Progress_G2

linked from https://www.constructionenquirer.com

Why does it need to be a tunnel? A retaining wall each side, with a few footbridges across, would surely be a lot cheaper?

Perhaps if the tunnel design has failed, that's what it will end up as. Maybe there was a deliberate mistake in the design? 🙂

Even in the photo I can see that the left-hand arch isn't locating on the central column properly.

Martin.

I believe it was designed as a tunnel as a sop to local public opinion, rather than fulfilling any functional role. A bit like those cut and cover tunnels beloved of Victorian nobility.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I believe it was designed as a tunnel as a sop to local public opinion, rather than fulfilling any functional role. A bit like those cut and cover tunnels beloved of Victorian nobility.

Most of the green tunnels were the price that David Cameron paid to get HS2 through the area near his constituency or am I being cynical.

Jamie

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

No, you're not!

Cynical or not, at least Cameron PM wanted to approve some infrastructure that didn't directly benefit his constituency, unlike many of the affluent Home Counties MPs, whose attitude (and that of many, many voters) could be summarised as "Stuff the North, WE don't need this here".

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

David Cameron's constituency was quite a bit further west (the other side of Oxford).

But yes, agreed that this 'tunnel' is an expensive sop to locals, who are no doubt amongst those now claiming that the project is "too expensive".

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Photographed yesterday (20th August) this bridge has appeared over the Summer crossing the A421 between Finmere and the A41 roundabout.

The HS2 compound was to the left of the camera.

20220820_141355.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

On the old Brackley to Buckingham Road (A422) there are large worksites on both sides of the road. These are located between Brackley and Westbury.

Although it cannot be seen in the pictures  there appears to be a deep cutting being excavated.

Taken yesterday (20th August).20220820_171416.jpg.6e31eebbc787ace1b41437bdfa229600.jpg

20220820_171420.jpg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, 1E BoY said:

Photographed yesterday (20th August) this bridge has appeared over the Summer crossing the A421 between Finmere and the A41 roundabout.

The HS2 compound was to the left of the camera........

That is very likely to be one of the temporary bridges that'll be used for construction traffic.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Southam.

Progressing from South to North.

The Long Itchington Woods tunnel, south portal comes into view, 4.40 into the video.

The drone then flies over the woods to the north portal and proceeds northwards, towards Cubbington.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Noticed that the track bed going north from A413 outside Aylesbury is starting to look more a railway now and the tunnel under the road looks like it is being got ready. Liked the video of the works round here  very instructive as to whats going on.

• Like 3

I went to see a client near Terrick on Friday and couldn't resist heading up the B4009 afterwards to take a look at what work might be going on there - unfortunately not a great deal to see other than a works compound either side of the road.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2022 at 09:22, Ron Ron Ron said:

If they have to demolish what’s already been built, at least the issue was caught early on and not after something like quarter of a mile has been built.

Morning All, 

thought i'd add a bit to this on account of being in the thick of it, now waiting for others that get paid far more than me to make a few decisions

• They had only got about 125m put up, before a few issues have caused it to be put on hold
  • There was talk of a few units needing to be swapped out back down the tunnel, but this may be a challenge to get them out there isnt enough space to just reach in and get the particular ones, also there was talk of a fix being designed to address some of the issues in place. 
  • the bulk of the issues are purely quality paperwork and nothing more exciting but thats usually a larger pain to fix than physical ones!
  • Deliveries have been on hold for nearly 3 weeks while this gets bottomed out, which as we were delivering faster than the factory was producing has given them a chance to catch up! and more importantly i got a week off!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1