Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon

MGR Hooper!

They will take some interesting weathering.

A great choice, although they do appear to have been restricted to the ex LNER area. A small bogie ballast wagon is very useful. Just hope they get this very complex model correct. The bogie is interesting, the wheel diameter of 2ft 6in not exactly an off the shelf model standard! The end is very complex https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco/ea39f882

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco

Paul

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The CAD looks right in principle, the smaller diameter wheels and 'flatter' diamond frame bogie, deep solebars and bufferbeam. Could be a bit restrictive for fitting an NEM coupler pocket, have to see how they do on that.

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:00, hmrspaul said:

A great choice, although they do appear to have been restricted to as they graced the ex LNER area.

FTFY  :D

• Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...

Irrespective of their being regionally constrained, I, for one will be purchasing some. My only hope, is that the price will be sensible. Will they only be in black or will we see olive green too?

regards to all

Nigel

Edited by doktorstamp
correction

16 minutes ago, doktorstamp said:

Irrespective of their being regionally constrained, I, for one will be purchasing some. My only hope, is that the price will be sensible. Will they only be in black or will we see olive green too?

regards to all

Nigel

From the Oxford Rail website:-

RRP of £14.95, I think the price is more than just sensible. And prices as low as £12.50 from various retailers... And as per the website again and my OP, the first run only includes BR Black

9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

From the Oxford Rail website:-

RRP of £14.95, I think the price is more than just sensible. And prices as low as £12.50 from various retailers... And as per the website again and my OP, the first run only includes BR Black

For that price they can't be up to the standard of Accurascale

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

For that price they can't be up to the standard of Accurascale

For that price I don't care, although does seem almost too cheap for a bogie wagon.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Opelsi said:

I'll wait for another run and hope for Olive Green or (if they ever ran in) yellow or late bauxite liveried variants!

Olive green was the final livery.  I've got pics of at least two at Warrington in 1981 so they did leave the Eastern.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

For that price I don't care, although does seem almost too cheap for a bogie wagon.

Slightly off topic, but the announced price for their rail crane is very low too.  And consider the £50 or so they asked for their railgun.  A ruddy bargain, and worth buying under Rule 1, if only to fend off encroachment from competing railway companies! :jester:

Oh well, back to tinned fish...  :crazy:

• Agree 1

On 18/07/2020 at 21:03, Simon Bendall said:

Olive green was the final livery.  I've got pics of at least two at Warrington in 1981 so they did leave the Eastern.

I can’t find any conclusive pictures of them in olive green. Do your pictures show the livery clearly? 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Downer said:

Can anyone tell me how long a pilchard is?  The wagon, I mean. I imagine the fish come in different lengths. 

36' 7" over buffers according to the drawing on Paul Bartlett's site.

11m 150 in the BR book

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Metric dimension added
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2020 at 19:41, Opelsi said:

I'll wait for another run and hope for Olive Green or (if they ever ran in) yellow or late bauxite liveried variants!

I too would love to see one of the prototype in Olive green, but where does the idea of yellow or rail freight red come from - they were unfitted?

But then I would like to see one that had some paint on it. I'm far from convinced the wood was painted originally and if it was a couple of my photos suggest it might have been the battleship blue grey that BR used in 1951 and not black which I acknowledge they should have been. But, not painting wood was usual in 1951 with only external paintlmetalwork painted. I've photographed more than 20% of the fleet and this is the only one that comes close to looking like it was painted during its life https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco/e1691a826

But as I said earlier a great idea for a model. I have one made by a now deceased friend in 7mm. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I only ever saw one Pilchard in my railway career, and that was YCO, DB990073 which I noted in Kings Cross Goods Yard in the summer of 1983. The photo below is an enlargement of what may well be my only photo of it, snapped in a passing train. I leave you to decide what livery it is in.

1713758244_Possibly.YCODB990073asInotedthatparticularwagoninKingsCrossGoodsYardinthesummerof1983..jpg.a8fc6a450df1f11010859236f0e33151.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2020 at 18:22, Swindon 123 said:

I only ever saw one Pilchard in my railway career, and that was YCO, DB990073 which I noted in Kings Cross Goods Yard in the summer of 1983. The photo below is an enlargement of what may well be my only photo of it, snapped in a passing train. I leave you to decide what livery it is in.

Paul J.

It wasn't painted when I saw it in March 1983   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco/ed7d5844

Paul

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

It wasn't painted when I saw it in March 1983   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco/ed7d5844

Paul

It may well be a different wagon, as it caught me by surprise whilst sitting waiting to depart Bounds Green, and I was really after the Shark behind it. It was only after I posted it up on my Flickr site and a comment was made about the Pilchard being in the photo that I spotted it for what it was. Shame I never caught the number. Still the ultimate short engineering train for modelers. Two Sharks and a Pilchard. 

DB993762 ZUV [BBR1--007]

Paul J.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

On their Facebook page, Oxford Rail have said they have "received the first engineering prototype of the Pilchard for review.  There are a few little tweaks, but the first shots do look impressive.  Images to follow soon."

I'm just passing this info on as an RMweb member interested in Oxford Rail's products. 

John Storey 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Crikey - 13 quid for a bogie wagon is seriously cheap in 2021.

And cheaper still at £12.20 with Derails.

Who do free shipping on orders over £20. Just one very happy customer.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

And cheaper still at £12.20 with Derails.

Who do free shipping on orders over £20. Just one very happy customer.

Roy

Almost worth buying for the wheels and bogies alone (I'm assuming metal wheels) ; does look nicely detailed overall judging by that image. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1