Jump to content

Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon


MGR Hooper!
 Share

Recommended Posts

An email from Hattons today regarding my Pilchard pre-order:

 

"Oxford Rail OR76PIL002 Pilchard bogie engineers wagon DB990092 in BR grey £13.00

 

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 21st January 2022"

 

 I ordered a couple of each number, so I guess we will have a wait for DB990099.  You'd have thought that Oxford would have put both Pilchards in the same container, but it looks like the LNER Banana vans and GER 10T wagons were also in this shipment.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an email from Hattons saying price of these has gone up from £13 to £15.50. That is still pretty darn good for a bogie wagon in today's world.

 

I have one on pre-order & will be getting my whole trunk contents shipped when that comes into stock - they say "Friday 21st or after" for when it arrives

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Just received an email from Hattons stating that they have been short supplied and my order is restricted to one wagon.

 

Oxford/Hornby “Tiers” in operation perchance?

 

Cheers

 

Darius

 

 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Just received an email from Hattons stating that they have been short supplied and my order is restricted to one wagon.

 

Oxford/Hornby “Tiers” in operation perchance?

 

Cheers

 

Darius

 

 

I originally had an order with Hattons for two of each (product codes OR76PIL001 and OR76PIL002).  Like you, my order for OR76PIL001 has been cut to one, but the order for OR76PIL002 remains at two (at the time of writing...).  

 

Could be the "Tier" system in operation, could be any one of a number of other causes - I guess for me it offsets the recent (but not unexpected) price increase!  For a rake that is going to sit quietly stationary in a siding it's not the biggest disaster that could befall it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I originally had an order with Hattons for two of each (product codes OR76PIL001 and OR76PIL002).  Like you, my order for OR76PIL001 has been cut to one, but the order for OR76PIL002 remains at two (at the time of writing...). 

 

I'm going to be unhappy from a postage standpoint.  I'd ordered four same as above, but only two made it in this shipment OR76PIL001, and now one has been cut.  Hattons does a good job on postage, but paying international shipping on one wagon isn't going to cut it.  I guess its time to start paying upfront and using the trunk service, but then I'd have been paying many months in advance for a wagon that might not show anyway.  I have eight BR Banana vans on order too, lets hope its just the Pilchards that are short.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheEngineShed said:

 

I'm going to be unhappy from a postage standpoint.  I'd ordered four same as above, but only two made it in this shipment OR76PIL001, and now one has been cut.  Hattons does a good job on postage, but paying international shipping on one wagon isn't going to cut it.  I guess its time to start paying upfront and using the trunk service, but then I'd have been paying many months in advance for a wagon that might not show anyway.  I have eight BR Banana vans on order too, lets hope its just the Pilchards that are short.

I too have had an order for three cut to one, and suspect the tier bullying is responsible, especially since I received an email from Oxford at the same time inviting me to order direct from the factory, (Pilchards showing 'in stock' and allowed three to be ordered and paid for with 8.95GBP shipping, no VAT deduction. I did not order.).

I have been using the trunk system for some time now and it is ideal for postage savings. You do not pay 'up front' but at the time the model arrives in stock. Thus you can order in stock items, pay for them, and have them put in your trunk, and also pre order items to be put in the trunk and pay for them when they arrive. You can then ship all items in one parcel at Hattons' reasonable postage rates.

 I believe you have to clear your trunk bi-annually, but the system is good and I wish other retailers offered a similar service!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 45568 said:

I have been using the trunk system for some time now and it is ideal for postage savings. You do not pay 'up front' but at the time the model arrives in stock.

 

Thanks for that bit of information, I obviously misread the "trunk" option instructions.  I may well add the rest of my Oxford Rail orders to the trunk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did have four on order but seeing the price of a comparable Dapol bogie wagon nearly twice the retail price I decided a couple of weeks ago to cancel the order due uncertainty as to the final pricing.   Possibly OR short changed themselves on the expected price and limited production numbers.   Any subsequent run/s will most likely be much more expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I did have four on order but seeing the price of a comparable Dapol bogie wagon nearly twice the retail price I decided a couple of weeks ago to cancel the order due uncertainty as to the final pricing.   Possibly OR short changed themselves on the expected price and limited production numbers.   Any subsequent run/s will most likely be much more expensive.

 

Having received the same email I got to wondering why there is suddenly a shortfall, considering production difficulties (no one else seems to be cutting their orders short, especially as one of us has been offered 3 direct from the manufacturer), Hornby's "war" with Hattons and trying to give them a bloody nose, or, as cynical me thinks, the development and production bridged the Hornby amalgamation/takeover and OxfordRail had priced them too cheaply, so Hornby are holding a tranche back to be released at a later date at a price more in line with Hornby's pricing structure.

 

Mike.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

 

Having received the same email I got to wondering why there is suddenly a shortfall, considering production difficulties (no one else seems to be cutting their orders short, especially as one of us has been offered 3 direct from the manufacturer), Hornby's "war" with Hattons and trying to give them a bloody nose, or, as cynical me thinks, the development and production bridged the Hornby amalgamation/takeover and OxfordRail had priced them too cheaply, so Hornby are holding a tranche back to be released at a later date at a price more in line with Hornby's pricing structure.

 

Mike.

 

Mike,

         totally agree.  I have not seen restrictions on previous OR wagon releases.  When first announced the low price did have people talking.  I believe the RRP on the Dapol Turbot is around GBP27.95.   When first news was released on the Pilchard the expected price was around GBP13.00.

 

I await to see other retailers imposing restrictions on deliveries (perhaps a devious Hornby plot may be revealed).

  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I expect most would have expected a price rise whilst waiting given that low price when announced. Early days yet, but it is starting to look like HORxford rail have put another brick in the wall with their bizarre practices.:blink:

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will see how my order for three of PIL 002 goes at Hattons, I also have a couple of the GE Banana and unfitted goods vans on pre-order too. If those are cut I may have to look elsewhere or do the unthinkable and order direct. It would not be so bad if they were all released at once, but arriving in bits and drabs, with only Hattons currently offering the excellent trunk system, as GWR fan says, postage charges become significant.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

 

Well - as OR is owned by Hornby - probably !!

 

CJI.

Indeed; it will be interesting to see how OR pricing / strategy pans out over the next few years (assuming they aren't just absorbed into Hornby) given that their pricing for these new tooling items is way below the level Hornby or Bachmann would charge for similar items.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

A photo from the video I have been filming, including both versions of the Pilchard. Video coming next week. 
 

 

826F61BC-51A7-42F3-8749-EEE7B79248FB.jpeg

 

It looks as if all the non-fitted vans are wrong on this side, at least.

 

CJI.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from Hattons saying my card had been charged for my one wagon, I can see it in my trunk :-)

 

I'm looking forward to running it in my  'wierd'n'whacky' departmental train, should go well with the odd mix of bolsters, Borails, mess coaches, that warwell with the bolsters, brake vans & Toads..... might even prompt me to get that Dapol crane out and do something with the 8-wheel tender chassis I have sitting in a siding.

 

Pity that Hattons crane wagon seems to have vanished without trace, that would have looked good right at the front of that train.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're in stock at Monkbar Models in York, I picked mine up today. Very nice. It will get repainted in the 1969 livery described by Mr Larkin - "scruffy with white lettering". 

 

There were only 50 built and they were scattered around the ER in threes and fours - I suspect more than two in the same place at the same time would have been a fluke. Like 47406 mine will end up in  a "not quite sure what it's doing but it looks intetesting" short PW train, or dumped in an overgrown siding having accidentally wandered onto the ScR. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Wheatley said:

They're in stock at Monkbar Models in York, I picked mine up today. Very nice. It will get repainted in the 1969 livery described by Mr Larkin - "scruffy with white lettering". 

 

There were only 50 built and they were scattered around the ER in threes and fours - I suspect more than two in the same place at the same time would have been a fluke. Like 47406 mine will end up in  a "not quite sure what it's doing but it looks intetesting" short PW train, or dumped in an overgrown siding having accidentally wandered onto the ScR. 

 

Mine is currently undergoing a repaint into unpainted wood / BR grey body ironwork / black chassis; which is my best guess as to how it would have been finished when built.

 

It is interesting to note the body-mounted couplings - which avoid the problem of conflict between the outer bogie axles and the NEM pocket. It remains to be seen how this arrangement works in practice - especially as mine will have Peco Simplex couplers installed in the NEM pockets.

 

CJI.

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday I received my solitary Pilchard from Hattons.

 

2DA1D2AF-2A46-4467-8D0A-90CE4B352579.jpeg.0775f5f9d0062a7415514afb028d266e.jpeg
 

24CABAD5-8BF1-4467-92BB-1490C041EE61.jpeg.cd0478dad607cb3ecadd7cd4323c543b.jpeg

 

D620AE06-08C0-49E8-A1BB-DC3A0EBC3683.jpeg.ce1d64595ed7142eade0cfb8f7214d6e.jpeg

 

I was surprised how large the box was - twice the size of the wagon.

 

516BB9B7-E9B2-4FE6-9EB8-D320CA7E2DDD.jpeg.2c5dcfb0b74daef5fc405d9514887938.jpeg

 

Cheers

 

Darius

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...