Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon

MGR Hooper!

On 06/02/2022 at 03:26, steve45 said:

Does anyone know if they have NEM pockets as I would want to fit kaydees?

Oxford wagons have pockets that resemble NEM but they are non-standard.  The pockets and the fishtails are short.  Hence, although you can fit Kadees (or any NEM  coupler), they will slop longitudinally; ie.  your train will stretch when starting.    I can see no reason that Oxford does this, and it compromises what is otherwise a good product.  Having said that, the Pilchards seem to have a catch in the mount that addresses the short tail problem in their case - but not with the GE van that arrived at the same time! :scratchhead:.

Edited by KymN
Qualification
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, KymN said:

Oxford wagons ...    Hence, although you can fit Kadees (or any NEM  coupler), they will slop longitudinally; ie.  your train will stretch when starting.   ... :scratchhead:.

Surely that is good as it is prototypically correct ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Surely that is good as it is prototypically correct ?

If that is what you want I would suggest that you use the three links supplied.  But I find that the reverse with Kadees leads to buffer-locking and derailment.  Not very correct.

3 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

See pic on last page, I've fitted Kadee's to my pair with no problems. Correct height and no play.

My Pilchard is OK thanks to what seems to be the redesign by Oxford (the catch that I mentioned), despite the short tail etc.  All my older Oxford wagons and the GE van have the play.  Height is OK.  

• 2 months later...

I finally got round to weathering a Pilchard and have to confess it was great fun.

jam1.thumb.jpg.a0f4988114b2ca35e5577436b5c4c9c8.jpg

I picked out a few of the internal planks and the iron-works in rust and wood colours, added some rust (Games Workshop Typhus Corrosion), lots of washes and finally a bit of dry brushing. Lovely wagon for the price.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Sadly, seems to be the same running numbers.

Roy

Not sadly for many of us that didn't get them as they sold out on pre-order.

Too small a batch?

People buying a few and not being bothered the numbers are the same? 

They can do new numbers in the future.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not sadly for many of us that didn't get them as they sold out on pre-order.

Too small a batch?

People buying a few and not being bothered the numbers are the same? 

They can do new numbers in the future.

Jason

Now they know how popular they are, it seems a missed opportunity to do a bigger second run with different numbers, serving both people who missed out and those that didn't.

Roy

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Changing the running numbers on a second production run is an opportunity which wouldn't be missed by other manufacturers. Come on Oxford Rail, you know it makes sense.........

How difficult can it be to change the numbers on a model wagon - for the 'modeller', I mean?

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

How difficult can it be to change the numbers on a model wagon - for the 'modeller', I mean?

CJI.

Yawn - just keep digging that old chestnut out...

I am in the process of modelling a Class 204 3T DEMU, modifying a 45036 to be an accurate representation of 45107, doing the scenic work on my layout, running my own business, have a wife and three children and have a seriously ill mother who needs a lot of support.

There are only so many hours in the day. Create a few more for me and I will change the numbers - otherwise stop with the "if you were a modeller" tosh....

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

I know from a few decades of experience that applying or changing wagon numbers is fiddly, and it only gets worse with ageing eyesight - I've done a few this year and yes, it's definitely a faff I can do without! In the case of the Pilchard only the last couple of digits would require changing but unless one is very lucky the new numbers off whatever transfer sheet(s) one has to hand are unlikely to be a good visual match for the existing printed numbers, so replacing the entire number then becomes the best bet, ideally requiring purchase of an appropriate transfer sheet..........um.............think I'll leave it there 😉!

9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

..... a bigger second run with different numbers, serving both people who missed out and those that didn't.

Exactly. I missed out on the first run and I only require one wagon so its running number is irrelevant to me.

In fairness to Oxford Rail we may be 'jumping the gun' at this stage and although they have used images of the previous releases they may well be planning to change the running numbers anyway - time will tell.......

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Nice to see the return of the Pilchards under the Hornby regime. List price gone up a fair bit percentage wise  but still very good value for money in 2022, I'll probably buy a couple more.

• Like 1

So.........at a time when other manufacturers are issuing triple-packs of wagons all with different running numbers, OR sees fit to simply re-run their first Pilchard releases with no changes at all?

Lazy, and frustrating for those of us who don't like seeing a rake of wagons all carrying the same number.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

So.........at a time when other manufacturers are issuing triple-packs of wagons all with different running numbers, OR sees fit to simply re-run their first Pilchard releases with no changes at all?

Lazy, and frustrating for those of us who don't like seeing a rake of wagons all carrying the same number.

At least Bachmann use new numbers, I've got one type of wagon where there were four later releases each with new running numbers and the stock numbers became -A, -B, -C, -D.

The ex-Mainline Toad has had about 20 different numbers under Bachmann

Even Airfix released their Toad with a different number when a new batch was produced (although strangely they didn't change the stock number🙂)

Even Hornby use new numbers with an 'A' suffix or 'B' suffix etc.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

The manufacturer lazy?

How difficult can it be to renumber a wagon?

Do some 'modellers' do no actual modelling whatsoever?

What do they do if they want a rake of, say, 16T steel mineral wagons - expect the manufacturer to produce numerous versions of the same model?

When I read complaints like this, I despair!! ☹️

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

What about the people like me that couldn't get them in the first place?

They can make more in the future, but can't we have the ones we ordered first....

Besides if you can provide some photos of all these different wagons I'm sure that Oxford will be delighted to see them.

You do realise there was only a few built. You aren't going to get dozens of packs of three and I doubt they ever worked in rakes.

Jason

• Agree 1