Bachmann class 150 DMUs

Connor43002

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I wonder if people would walk into Tesco after 6 months and then complain that the price of baked beans have gone up?  Things go up, deal with it.

I'm sure there would be plenty of complaining when a litre of petrol goes from £1.21 to £1.43. That's how much percentage wise the GWR 150 has gone up in this years price increase. £50 more on £269.95. 18.5%.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 89A said:

I'm sure there would be plenty of complaining when a litre of petrol goes from £1.21 to £1.43. That's how much percentage wise the GWR 150 has gone up in this years price increase. £50 more on £269.95. 18.5%.

What people fail to realise that even if the production costs don’t change, transportation and importation costs have.  Given the delay in production of the Class 150, surely you put money aside so when they do arrive, you have the funds, or close to it.

11 hours ago, jools1959 said:

What people fail to realise that even if the production costs don’t change, transportation and importation costs have.  Given the delay in production of the Class 150, surely you put money aside so when they do arrive, you have the funds, or close to it.

I aren't against most of the MU prices (some people seem to think they should be the same price as a loco and coach), but this 150 seems to be getting a bit daft for what it is (i.e. modified old tooling). The thing is people (myself included) are very sceptical of the price hikes when they can drop the price at the drop of a hat when a competitor comes along (such as what happened with the 66). They won't have just started losing money on them. I'd be surprised if the same didn't happen with the 55 and 37 when AS's turn up.

TBH in this particular instance, if the price is more than I ordered it for they can keep it. It was touch and go at the old price! If it was a 158 with it's newer better featured tooling then I would feel different.

Edit, just realises this echos a post I made about a month ago on the last page.... :wacko:

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I wonder if people would walk into Tesco after 6 months and then complain that the price of baked beans have gone up?  Things go up, deal with it.

I bet they would. LOL.

I think a fairer comparison is would you pay more for an old standard def TV that hasn't been developed over the last 10 years Vs a new all singing and dancing effort for about the same price....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I would certainly complain if my beans had gone up in price and I had to wait 3 years for them

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, ash39 said:

I would certainly complain if my beans had gone up in price and I had to wait 3 years for them

I think the beans might be out of date by then too! Just like the fact the tooling might be a bit old fashioned on the 150 compared to the the 158?

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 17:22, adb968008 said:

As long as Bachmann has niche items in their back catalog, no one else is going to touch them for decades.

Things like Turbostar, Sprinter, Cep, Bep.. they are Bachmanns for the next decade plus, they can chomp out a batch at whatever price they want, no ones going to do anything about it.

Wrenn had a similar niche on things like the 8F, Cobo, Bullied Rebuilt etc for decades... they were charging £250+ at one point.. in 1990’s money, Hattons were cashing in on Wrenn big style, even though the toolings were 40+ years old way back then. At swapmeets people were buying wrenn locos for more money than the cost of the car they were driving it home in. The popular ones were nibbled off and declined in price over time, just as we are seeing with Bachmann...but it took several decades for the Unrebuilt MN to be duplicated, which I think just about closes the book.

my worry is Bachmann does the Electrostar. I think Its going to hurt the modern image hobby at £500.. some people will lose interest give up,  no one else will do it.. my best hope is Hornby do it as railroad plus.. minimal extra details nice paint job, at £150 for the outers, and seller inners separate.. gives everyone an entry level, encourages the hobby through all ages and gives a desire for youngers to “upgrade” their models & skills through affordability, and gives the hobby a future after 2019. Trouble is Hornby still defines a youngster as a 1990s teenager..

Trix are doing the TGV Duplex this year. Euro 699 for the 4 car set plus 3 add on packs of two coaches at Euro 199 each. GB outline is still cheap in comparison.... 

On 07/04/2021 at 20:11, Class 158 productions said:

Add this to the fact that the numbers have now been changed, at the last minute. After a 4 year wait, now meaning the GWR one duplicates the FGW model produced by kernow in 2018,it has been very disappointing. 

Seriously?! Bachmann!!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Trix are doing the TGV Duplex this year. Euro 699 for the 4 car set plus 3 add on packs of two coaches at Euro 199 each. GB outline is still cheap in comparison.... 

Very timely, for £125, just arrived today at my place..

AB2BC689-84FA-4FAA-A9F7-DFCF76BEF718.jpeg.f57e563976aabb8c67c0c901f49fdb2b.jpeg

Not everything in Europe is expensive... this one is made in China, at a better engineering, detail and quality standard than most UK models.

I bought this in Germany, and imported it, as its still cheaper than buying in the UK, post Brexit.

Edited by adb968008

10 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Isn't that with sound at both ends along with powered cars at both ends too?

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I bought this in Germany, and imported it, as its still cheaper than buying in the UK, post Brexit.

I still buy ESU decoders in Germany most of the time. They work out significantly cheaper than over here assuming I am ordering enough to make the £20 ish postage worthwhile.

21 hours ago, toolongtoremember said:

Seriously?! Bachmann!!! 

Yep, was announced last month after looking at the samples. A shame for them to duplicate, although I believe the reason was the seating tooling Bachmann have, don’t cover a lot the modern ones only a few in the fleet have the older style, 216 and 202 in GWR(I think). Bit of a poor excuse when they are changing the tooling for toilet modifications. All this after the long wait and price rise is a bit annoying. Although at least we will have them soon, think pushed back to may/June now? 

30 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Yep, was announced last month after looking at the samples. A shame for them to duplicate, although I believe the reason was the seating tooling Bachmann have, don’t cover a lot the modern ones only a few in the fleet have the older style, 216 and 202 in GWR(I think). Bit of a poor excuse when they are changing the tooling for toilet modifications. All this after the long wait and price rise is a bit annoying. Although at least we will have them soon, think pushed back to may/June now? 

I just got the Kernow one, still selling for around £180 from them new, not sure I can justify the additional cash for the new one. Will see what they do with the selling price once people don't buy them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just logged into Rails and they have asked me to accept a price increase in the pre order (from £220 to £250) on the Northern one.

Anyway I have declined and I'll wait for it to drop in price. Can't see it selling out at £250.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Just logged into Rails and they have asked me to accept a price increase in the pre order (from £220 to £250) on the Northern one.

Anyway I have declined and I'll wait for it to drop in price. Can't see it selling out at £250.

Think this will be commonplace across many shops, however I’ve wanted the GWR one for so long, I will honour my pre order. Although I expect in 3 months to see these reduced heavily, like some shops have with the 4 CEP, 2 HAP, 117,158,159,121 etc 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Think this will be commonplace across many shops, however I’ve wanted the GWR one for so long, I will honour my pre order. Although I expect in 3 months to see these reduced heavily, like some shops have with the 4 CEP, 2 HAP, 117,158,159,121 etc 

Not seen the 2 HAP "reduced heavily" at all, in fact, not many of those you list really fall in that category. Most are at, or just below, the minimum price that they had to honour when first released.

Roy

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not seen the 2 HAP "reduced heavily" at all, in fact, not many of those you list really fall in that category. Most are at, or just below, the minimum price that they had to honour when first released.

Roy

I was referring to the TMC and Model Railway Direct sales recently, that showed many of the Bachmann units reduced. 

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting how wildly prices vary between manufacturers - in N, Kato are producing a 5-car IET for £179 and Dapol produce their Pacer for £120-ish. By contrast, the forthcoming Farish 150 has an RRP of £219 and the SWT Class 450, £379.00. It seems that the Bachmann UK / Farish prices are drifting up to be in parity with the Lilliput range.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Captain Electra said:

It's interesting how wildly prices vary between manufacturers - in N, Kato are producing a 5-car IET for £179 and Dapol produce their Pacer for £120-ish. By contrast, the forthcoming Farish 150 has an RRP of £219 and the SWT Class 450, £379.00. It seems that the Bachmann UK / Farish prices are drifting up to be in parity with the Lilliput range.

But Kato have the benefits of scale by including sales in the Japanese market who will buy bullet trains regardless of the country they operate.

Dapol would not be able to sell the Pacer at much more than they do now - the model is simply not good enough.  Their operating model is very different to Bachmann, little and often, they keep using their existing moulds like they have done successfully in OO and now doing in O.

Farish is reflective of Bachmann Branchline pricing.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Captain Electra said:

Oh Please...

ive been looking for a 4 car Kato 3-516 Hayabusa in HO scale for a reasonable price for 3+ years now... cheapest Ive found is £400.. + VAT + Customs + carriers extra surcharges.. so £500... imagine the cost of a full 10 car set.

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Captain Electra said:

Yes I think it's less about rising production costs and more about greed. Bachman/Farish have more economic  clout and potential economies of scale - but their products are significantly higher in price than Dapol. 

Edited by fezza
Correction

16 minutes ago, fezza said:

significantly higher in price than Dapol. 

I find the price of the new release JNA, IOA and HIAs interesting, they aren't much dearer than the last batch and if you compare to the price of an MBA, MOA, BYA/BRA, BAA/BZA or HHA from elsewhere as as fair a comparison as I can do (similar quality and similar age of tooling) then it does make me wonder why.

Also maybe why I have 11 IOAs, 4 JNAs and 7 (soon to be 8) HIAs but only 3 BYAs and 3 BZAs from the other lot (and all 6 were bought second hand at well below RRP)!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1