EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Only a few years back I beheld, sitting outside a smart cafe adjoining the cathedral in Le Mans, a most elegantly-dressed young woman, real Parisian chic, with a ferret on a lead. It was obviously used to being walked as one might a small dog. 

Fixed that for you.

Only a few years back I beheld, sitting outside a burger joint adjoining the bus station in Leominster, a mostly-dressed young woman, really a Pembridge chick, with a pet rat on a lead. It was obviously used to being walked as one might a small dog. 

I told you, it's grim up north.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Fixed that for you.

I told you, it's grim up north.

Just having fun and keeping to the script in my head without going too far off topic or frivolity. :drink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, bgman said:

This project is really an amalgam of materials which have been languishing in several boxes ( and THAT cupboard !) since my move.

It is merely an exercise in using up old bits whilst trying to produce a simple, and I will reiterate the word simple, layout if you can call it that ?

I will be incorporating things that evoke childhood memories of my early years without being complicated and is just a personal journey.

It won't represent anywhere specific and use two turnouts I built many years ago along with some Scaleway track.

Nice approach Grahame. A free space without too many complications.

Who knows, it might even turn out to be relaxing. After a stresssful day working on the other layout, this will be the one you relax with :D

I really like the balsa sheet and foam board approach, lightweight modelling!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Nice approach Grahame. A free space without too many complications.

Who knows, it might even turn out to be relaxing. After a stresssful day working on the other layout, this will be the one you relax with :D

I really like the balsa sheet and foam board approach, lightweight modelling!

Thank you Mikkel, as you know only too well with researching something which is relevant to a specific model or layout it becomes very time consuming. With this project I can step away from that for the most part and do what I wish to and yet maybe ? convey what i am aiming for.

"  After a stresssful day " ..... sorry I don't recognise that phrase, I don't do "stress" , frustration or annoyance maybe but never that. It is however something that will be pulled out from below the main project and quietly played with when I want to relax. I am also using it to test various methods of modelling which won't impinge upon the main layout.

The foam board approach is definitely for lightness with the baseboard only being 6mm "lite ply" with bracing below making it all very easy to lift.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You are a temptress, however I don't wish to purchase any more stock at this moment and keep this on budget, not that I'm counting you understand but it's definitely one to consider especially having been taken in a general area on interest.

I always liked that name Poulton-le-Fylde for some strange reason.

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing this develop Grahame, even if it does involve some "breath holding!"  Really nice proportions, there's something very appealing about canals, railways  and urban grot! :)

BW

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a very quick update on progress, nothing spectacular as I seem to be getting sidetracked with small items ( possible steam crane scratch build ?)

which I seem to be finding in storage. Once seen my mind rolls into overdrive andI begin to think of ways to use up odd items.

I also keep moving the buildings around and then build another to replace ones I've moved.....all part of the fun.

A scratch built chimney started last night and replacement factory at the right hand side.

I found some Wills cobble sheets and rather than spend too long by using plaster and scribing I thought I would see what they may look like.

An off the cuff start was made on Sunday night using the silhouette cutter to produce something resembling a steam crane placed on a small Tenshodo unit ( dunno when or why I bought it but its here now ! ).

IMG_1393.jpg.9bae7f5b32f7ddb2ed63603ce14221fa.jpg

More Wills stuff, this time one of the cranes.

IMG_1395-1.jpeg.d26e9241da77efc5ae86527a06797023.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg.e27a75b5e5d9f302f0549fda2c443cc8.jpeg

G

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop Grahame, even if it does involve some "breath holding!"  Really nice proportions, there's something very appealing about canals, railways  and urban grot! :)

BW

Dave

Thank you Dave,

You will probably go blue in the face if you wait for this one ( sleepers arrive Saturday for the REAL layout so progress can be made ).

Anyway it keeps me modelling !

ATVB

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Shurely shome mishtake...

This has nothing to do with the Secret Service Mr. Bond !

No cocktails were harmed in making the chimney.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, wenlock said:

Beer should always be involved!:D

Speaking of which, here is a bottle which was given to me by my late father on my 21st birthday. He had been given it by his father and it has remained unopened as a family keepsake ever since.

Note the date on the bottle - 27th Nov 1949

IMG_1399.jpg.09927fd62259aa623f80bb61259698aa.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Wil this be ready for Taunton next April ?  (Sunday, 25th April, 2021, to be precise).

Are you certain Stu ?

Very nice of you to ask, it may well be as long as my 7mm layout doesn't object !

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2020 at 11:05, bgman said:

There could be some beer involved .....

fullsizeoutput_2183.jpeg.3b1505aa9d465445325fdf8f412b30a6.jpeg

This is thirsty work !

G

Nice bit of motive power.

Nice crane, too (in the fullness of time?)

Bit concerned about the massive spider above the round brick building, that no one seems to have noticed yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5