EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, bgman said:

Basic build completed......Just add paint ! :dance_mini:

IMG_1811.jpeg.478e95da9eb609f0839e25c0062ebd77.jpeg

IMG_1812.jpeg.a920c8f31e4feec2e5047221407c1dcd.jpeg

Airbrush will be fired up tomorrow hopefully.

Happier with this version now.

G

Bloody good show!!

20190815_063251.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, bgman said:

Basic build completed......Just add paint ! :dance_mini:

IMG_1811.jpeg.478e95da9eb609f0839e25c0062ebd77.jpeg

This looks great -- very neat and well-proportioned! I'm certainly with you on the foamboard and styrene cladding, there's something very satisfying about how controllable and precise the materials are. I've never tried plaster casting but would imagine it'd be quite as unwieldy as clay, which I've never enjoyed for structures. Will look forward to seeing the paint job on Mk II.

Adam

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Calidore said:

This looks great -- very neat and well-proportioned! I'm certainly with you on the foamboard and styrene cladding, there's something very satisfying about how controllable and precise the materials are. I've never tried plaster casting but would imagine it'd be quite as unwieldy as clay, which I've never enjoyed for structures. Will look forward to seeing the paint job on Mk II.

Adam

Thank you Adam, and of course all those who have responded I am most grateful to you looking in.

I have tried to keep the general proportions correct, as well as giving consideration to it being placed on the layout eventually.

Going back to using foam board for this has made it far easier in respect of construction. Although I used it on the previous bridge the weight of the plaster stonework, albeit lightweight casting plaster, began to get slightly unwieldy amongst other things.

By using the brickwork sheets as many modellers do I have been able to progress quicker thankfully. Not that I like to rush these models but you don't get that overnight wait for the plaster sheets to dry. It has its place but for now I am carrying on with what you see.

First coats of Vallejo 70.818 Red Leather which is my preferred colour for brickwork. I will allow to to fully harden naturally and then take it a stage further this evening.

fullsizeoutput_21be.jpeg.2aaaa2f9b41752d2c5624421dfbbc1c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bf.jpeg.855d56346ef190fc6aed46cd5d86e150.jpeg

Not the best photograph I'm afraid, taken against the light on my iPhone but it might give you an idea when its finally placed as the exit to a fiddly-diddly board.

fullsizeoutput_21bd.jpeg.f893e0b51ee637e56d8faaf58d9eb6f1.jpeg

Thank you once again for looking in.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

The elephant in the room !

I have tried various ways to simulate the finished stone cappings to the wing walls and top of the bridge walls, eventually I settled on using a Vallejo Sand Texture and overpainted it with a mid grey and dry brushing + a light coat of Vallejo Sepia Wash in the joints.

This was done after the evening light had faded so I will have another look tomorrow when it is all dry and see how I feel about it.

Further work is yet to be done so we shall see ?

IMG_1848.jpeg.c1f047ff46c3af97d13b466abf235828.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg.b1d8cfcc7ef36f910a003cfb12cc3696.jpeg

G

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, bgman said:

I will have another look tomorrow when it is all dry and see how I feel about it.

Well I've had a look and attempted to dumb down the stone work using a slightly lighter wash which also helps to highlight it.

It may not be self evident in the photos but I am happier to a certain extent, I will put it to one side for a while and leave well alone for now.

IMG_1852.jpg.ad1cc9173f0a4bc05ed0289864f6ea4f.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg.7ec5fdb62932666e583bca47c06e8e42.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg.b1a30b95621ee024535cbc291aee9af3.jpg

G

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Top drawer stuff, G !

R

Thank you mate, it has become a bit of a slog if I'm honest, one of those things that never sat right with me but somewhat happier now with daylight on it, makes a big difference and I shouldn't really be painting after dusk especially if I want to get some sort of result.

Hope all is well with you and yours keep safe !

G

p.s. I still laugh about the drivers name badge......remember ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame, I’ve just been catching up with all this:)  That’s a splendid looking bridge and the Oak tree is very convincing! Looking forward to seeing more!  As you can’t get out on the bike, I expect to see rapid progress!:D

All the best matey.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Fantastic job! very impressive stuff

Chris

Thank you Chris much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Calidore said:

Lovely finish on that, @bgman, great stuff. The extra time and effort paid off.

Adam

Lots of extra time seemingly but I am getting to like it more now.

3 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Hi Grahame, I’ve just been catching up with all this:)  That’s a splendid looking bridge and the Oak tree is very convincing! Looking forward to seeing more!  As you can’t get out on the bike, I expect to see rapid progress!:D

All the best matey.

Dave

Thank you Dave, it seems to have been a labour of love and I've tried various methods to get it to this stage. The tree was very enjoyable and there will be a couple more trees to make at some point, once again it was a try-out but pleased with it.

As for rapid progress ...... ?

Thank you all for your positive comments and button presses.

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's a lovely warmth to that, Grahame. 

Very much spot on. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

There's a lovely warmth to that, Grahame. 

Very much spot on. 

Rob. 

Thanks matey, it's the answer I wanted to be honest, there have three attempts to get it to the way it looks.

Its been bugging me for a few days and with the late afternoon sun on it I felt the same and stopped at this point.

Just the rest of the layout to finish ! 

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, bgman said:

Thanks matey, it's the answer I wanted to be honest, there have three attempts to get it to the way it looks.

Its been bugging me for a few days and with the late afternoon sun on it I felt the same and stopped at this point.

Just the rest of the layout to finish ! 

G

And that, Dear Boy, is the key. Knowing you've got to the point and stopping. 

As I say, spot on. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A beautiful piece of modelling. It doesn't even need a layout!

On 14/04/2020 at 02:08, bgman said:

I have tried various ways to simulate the finished stone cappings to the wing walls and top of the bridge walls, eventually I settled on using a Vallejo Sand Texture

That's interesting Grahame as I am experimenting with the Vallejo 'sandy paste' for bare ground. It seems too expensive for larger-scale application, but when brushed lightly on to dry DAS in selective patches it help creates a nice variation in ground texture. It dries up shiny and a bit rubbery, but paint and weathering powder seems to solve that.

PS: Is yours the 'sandy paste' variant (ref 26.215) or one of the other types?

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

A beautiful piece of modelling. It doesn't even need a layout!

That's interesting Grahame as I am experimenting with the Vallejo 'sandy paste' for bare ground. It seems too expensive for larger-scale application, but when brushed lightly on to dry DAS in selective patches it help creates a nice variation in ground texture. It dries up shiny and a bit rubbery, but paint and weathering powder seems to solve that.

PS: Is yours the 'sandy paste' variant (ref 26.215) or one of the other types?

Thank you Mikkel,

Quote - "A beautiful piece of modelling. It doesn't even need a layout! " - 

Very kind of you to say so, maybe I'll just place it on a piece of board and have an Omnibus pulled by horses going over it and not bother with the layout ! :mocking_mini:

Now then, the Vallejo paste I have used is reference 26.217 Desert Sand. I choose to use that particular one due to the finer granular feel to it. The whole bridge with the exception of a waft of Testors Dullcote has been painted using Vallejo products which I do enjoy using.

I was initially concerned when I first used the paste a few years ago as it did feel, as you say rubbery, but I put that down too the acrylic nature. Preferably apply in thin layers, wait, apply some more and either stop or carry on etc. until you have built up enough.

Give it time to dry and it will go hard enough in a warm setting then paint as usual.

Take care 

G

Edited by bgman
additional note
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

when brushed lightly on to dry DAS in selective patches it help creates a nice variation in ground texture. It dries up shiny and a bit rubbery, but paint and weathering powder seems to solve that.

As a rider to my last reply Mikkel here is a quick photo of a sample I had a play with yesterday for the road surface.

It is just a piece of sealed black card ( closest thing to hand at the time ) painted with a grey emulsion and then Vallejo Sand brushed onto it. Once dry I painted it with a Vallejo light earth colour. I think it looks promising ?

IMG_1861.jpeg.20e07cc18fd930087e41c1ff9604a4b8.jpeg

G

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Grahame. That test looks good. Must experiment some more with these.

Although I can't help wondering just how different it is from medium polyfilla :)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Although I can't help wondering just how different it is from medium polyfilla

Probably about 119 Krone ! :lol:

Seriously though, I think the polyfilla is likely to be harder once set and imagine that the acrylic nature of the Vallejo products retain some elasticity.

Edited by bgman
Spell checker thanks to NHY 581 !
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Probably about 119 Krone ! :lol:

Seriously though, I think the polyfilla is lovely to be harder once set and imagine that the acrylic nature of the Vallejo products retain some elasticity.

Are you sure....................? 

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Are you sure....................? 

Oooops !

I will attend to it dreckley !

Mind you .......:crazy_mini:

Richard Lexik

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Although I can't help wondering just how different it is from medium polyfilla

Further to this and by way of illustrating the flexibility of the trial sample I have bent this in two places with absolutely no ill effects / cracking to it.

1942632430_IMG_1876copy.jpg.969a4b9350fd632dda69ccf8dbc09330.jpg

G

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3