16T mineral wagons and wagon chassis(9 and 10ft)

rue_d_etropal

Possibly the most commn wagon , essential for most post 1940s layouts. THis was why I chose to do one as my first standard gauge wagon for 3D printing. Unfortunately I did not have any scal drawings at the time so worked from a model, one which had been stretch to fit a 10ft cassis. As this has been pointed out to me, and I now have drawings I thought I would redesign the standard 16T wagon, plus a couple of less common ones which had been built to workin Europe at end of WW2.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3d-print-photos/industrial/MOWT-16t-slope-sided-mineral-wagon-1a.jpghttp://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3d-print-photos/industrial/MOS-16t-sncf-mineral-wagon-1a.jpg

The original one I had printed took standard HO(10.5mm) wheels. Some cleanig out will n]be necessary, but once wheels have revolved a few times the nylon gets nice an smooth and free running can be achieved. The basic nylon, I think is suitable for what is not a clean smooth wagon in use, and it is a lot stronger than the finer plastics.

I have modified the chassis which is common to al the 16T wagons.

I did look at doing body ad chassis separately but at this scale/size the price is not much different.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

There were some 16t minerals built on redundant Medfit chassis in the 1970s which were 17'6" long on a 10' w.b. They only had the drop door though, no top flaps (unlike all the commercial offerings on the 'long' chassis).

Not quite, they were redundant Palbricks which made for more variety https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

The original one I had printed took standard HO(10.5mm) wheels. Some cleanig out will n]be necessary, but once wheels have revolved a few times the nylon gets nice an smooth and free running can be achieved. The basic nylon, I think is suitable for what is not a clean smooth wagon in use, and it is a lot stronger than the finer plastics.

I used Gibson 10.5 mm wheels on 24.5mm axles on one of Simon's original mineral wagons, without any bearings, and I've been very impressed with its free-running qualities. TBH I hadn't even noticed the 10' wheelbase - I guess familiarity with the Lima open wagons has made me rather tolerant here! I'll definitely buy a couple of the revised minerals.  

The recent discussion on loco chassis did make me wonder if there was any scope for 3D printed wagon chassis in the most common wheelbases to help scratch-builders?

• Like 2

the orignal wagon I did was a cross between a 9ft and 10ft . The wheelbase was certainly a 9ft, and I have only slightly modified that. The body had been shortened from an incorrect OO and O scale model. It was correct length but side doors were too wide. I think to keep it in proportion to fit a 10ft wheelbase , companies such a Hornby Dublo (and still produced by Dapol) stetched the side doors a bit. The Lima (and Triang Novo) O gauge ones had this same fault. I wonder if they just resized the original HD one! It is not obvious to casual eyes. Many use the incorrect Lima and Triang ones in O gauge, and once heavily weathered it is even less noticable.

As for producing various wagon chassis, that is a good idea. I don't do many wagons, but those Ido are designed with a separate chassis component which I merge with the body for printing.The overhangs at base of body might be an issue as they may be too thin to print without the chassis. From a design point of view it is the brakes that are most difficult to design and position.I can stretch the main frame, and reuse axle boxes. In HO much of the chassis detail is not that easy to see.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

I used Gibson 10.5 mm wheels on 24.5mm axles on one of Simon's original mineral wagons, without any bearings, and I've been very impressed with its free-running qualities. TBH I hadn't even noticed the 10' wheelbase - I guess familiarity with the Lima open wagons has made me rather tolerant here! I'll definitely buy a couple of the revised minerals.  

The recent discussion on loco chassis did make me wonder if there was any scope for 3D printed wagon chassis in the most common wheelbases to help scratch-builders?

I would buy a chassis sized to fit the Lima coal wagon as a proof of principle.

- Richard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2020 at 22:11, rue_d_etropal said:

Possibly the most commn wagon , essential for most post 1940s layouts. THis was why I chose to do one as my first standard gauge wagon for 3D printing. Unfortunately I did not have any scal drawings at the time so worked from a model, one which had been stretch to fit a 10ft cassis. As this has been pointed out to me, and I now have drawings I thought I would redesign the standard 16T wagon, plus a couple of less common ones which had been built to workin Europe at end of WW2.

MOWT-16t-slope-sided-mineral-wagon-1a.jpMOS-16t-sncf-mineral-wagon-1a.jpg

I have modified the chassis which is common to al the 16T wagons.

I did look at doing body ad chassis separately but at this scale/size the price is not much different.

Perhaps being ultra-critical. But surely there should be some internal detail (other side of the door) as well so that they can be run empty as well as loaded.

Does the nylon material lend itself to replicating the many bumps and scratches that were so typical of these mineral wagons?

I had wondered about internal detail, such as edges of doors, but most small scale models I have seen don't have this detail,and possibly not that visible once fully weathered. 

For ultra wear and tare, bumps etc could be scraped into material,but I would rather modellers did it, otherwise you end up with a train of identically worn out wagons.Probably easier to do than on finer plastic.

Remember these are meant to be a aid for modellers not r2r for collectors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• rue_d_etropal changed the title to 16T mineral wagons and wagon chassis(9 and 10ft)

suppose it should be a new thread, but this has evolved out of the 16t design.

Had a request for a 9ft and 10ft wagon chassis, and it made sence to use the one I had designed for the 16ton wagon with a couple of mods.

details here http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains3.htm

wagon-9ft-wb-chassis-1a.jpg

wagon-10ft-wb-chassis-1a.jpg

• Round of applause 1