No new TT from Hornby this year ?

trapoint

A quick comparison picture of 1:148, 1:120 and 1:76 scales.  The A4 is a Corgi static model, so strictly speaking is Hornby.  Ones own opinions of scale will vary - I have become impressed with the detail of British N now, but when I set up a test layout to sit in an armchair and watch the trains go by I just found it too small.  I'm happy with the size of my German outline 1:120 so that's what I've gone back to.

20200627_222955.jpg.122be6925f72c474d4d7bd2e87b890e1.jpg

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I believe in the discussions between the 3mm Society and Hornby there was no clear indication of what scale Hornby was thinking about, that they had an open mind. Certainly there was an impression that there was interest in 3mm; after all, it sits neatly between 2mm and 4mm and there is an existing pool of enthusiasts.

However, in a subsequent blog Simon Kohler said he's been thinking about 1:120 on 12mm track. I don't think the investigations had gone far enough to really firm up on anything though.

Me, I thought 3mm/ft on 12mm was the practical solution, provided the stock could readily be converted  to 14.2mm by those interested. However since then I've had a close look at some of the Corgi 1:120 static models and am impressed. That extra size over N does make more realistic models possible.

Nigel