Pre-Nationalisation diesel 0-6-0 shunters

Thanks again for the information,  always another question ......

Regarding 9998 that worked for British rail at Gloucester docks,   does anyone know if during this period

it carried any identification ....   the rare photo seems to indicate not ?

Thanks again 

On 10/03/2022 at 12:37, cctransuk said:

This MAY be the loco in question; I have no idea of who holds the copyright, but it was captioned as the Brush works shunter.

1828108006_BRUSHWORKSSHUNTER.jpg.329a4dbfff70daa6491086e03518f6f3.jpg

As to colour, this may give a clue as it appears to show another Brush works shunter - comments welcome.

D0280_20.jpg.e54d498816a07a0e2ca4b555f45ace88.jpg

CJI.

D2999 was in a very similar livery to the photo above when it was at Stratford as depicted in the Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives, revised edition 1964 p210 and fifth edition 1966 p162. The locos look very similar except D2999 cab roof is more arched and comes down closer to the top of the cab windows. The body shade for D2999 is much lighter than the red (?) of the buffer beams, cranks and rods.

• RMweb Premium

9998 never carried any numbers as far as I know. The cab on D 2999 was cut down specifically for a location it worked in previously. No other 200hp locos had this cab, the one at Middleton is painted as D2999 but is actually the first one built for Orb steelworks Newport.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

That chart seems to mix things up considerably with single motor and twin motor types, the development is a lot simpler. The locos with jackshaft drive are single motor types, developed by Armstrong Whitworth and EE/LMS, this turned out to be a dead end. EE then used the same engine/generator setup with twin motors (initially with high gearing for 30mph), the earliest ones for GW (15100) and LMS (12000-2) in the 1930s, the Southern then took the same basic mechanical/electrical design but built them in their own workshops so 15201-3 looked rather different. The final development was by EE, again with twin motors (lower gearing this time), same engine etc. and 4ft diameter wheels, this type was bought by LMS/BR and many others around the world, all look fairly similar. The BR 350hp (08) is essentially the same loco but with bigger wheels and cab re-profiled to fit the loading gauge everywhere. The bigger (4ft 6in) wheels were also found in the original SR locos, the main reason was to keep the coupling rods further away from the conductor rails with somewhat higher speed a bonus. The various LNER locos were of much the same design with different equipment, the only exception being 15004 which was all Brush.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

That chart seems to mix things up considerably with single motor and twin motor types, the development is a lot simpler. The locos with jackshaft drive are single motor types, developed by Armstrong Whitworth and EE/LMS, this turned out to be a dead end. EE then used the same engine/generator setup with twin motors (initially with high gearing for 30mph), the earliest ones for GW (15100) and LMS (12000-2) in the 1930s, the Southern then took the same basic mechanical/electrical design but built them in their own workshops so 15201-3 looked rather different. The final development was by EE, again with twin motors (lower gearing this time), same engine etc. and 4ft diameter wheels, this type was bought by LMS/BR and many others around the world, all look fairly similar. The BR 350hp (08) is essentially the same loco but with bigger wheels and cab re-profiled to fit the loading gauge everywhere. The bigger (4ft 6in) wheels were also found in the original SR locos, the main reason was to keep the coupling rods further away from the conductor rails with somewhat higher speed a bonus. The various LNER locos were of much the same design with different equipment, the only exception being 15004 which was all Brush.

Yeah sorry I made it a good while ago and it’s quite messy so I apologise for the errors and thank you for correcting it.

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

.... The final development was by EE, again with twin motors (lower gearing this time), same engine etc. and 4ft diameter wheels, this type was bought by LMS/BR and many others around the world, all look fairly similar. The BR 350hp (08) is essentially the same loco but with bigger wheels and cab re-profiled to fit the loading gauge everywhere. ....

I'd put the Southern Region - later class 12 - locos between the 4' wheeled ( class 11 ) type and the standard 4'6'' ( class 08 ) type as a logical progression - though the 08's were re-geared back to a lower top speed.

• Like 1

Once things got to the EE350 plus generator, with two, geared down traction motors, the evolution was pretty much complete, everything else, wheel-size, gauge, added bits and pieces, etc, was minor variation to suit particular circumstances. 

• Like 3

LMS 7069 is I believe preserved at the Vale of Berkeley Railway but looking on their website, there hasn't been an update for a while. Does anybody have an idea of when it might be completed?

Thanks, Paul.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 21:18, Nearholmer said:

Which were still too slow, partly because the gear ratio was still a compromise and partly because 350hp isn’t enough to go reasonably quick, except with a very light load.

I guess that the real ‘road switchers’ in Britain were the Type1 locos, but I have a feeling that they were actually too high-geared for sustained heavy shunting - the traction motors would probably overheat because they wouldn’t be spinning fast enough to ingest enough cooling air. 

The truth is probably that sustained really heavy switching, and inter-running a paying load with passenger trains are simply incompatible in design terms unless there is a ratio change facility, or uneconomically massive auxiliary cooling systems for the transmission, even with electric or hydraulic transmissions.

Can anyone think of a loco that can do both?

Hello there, YES, GM-EMD SW1, 600hp BoBo ( 1938 - 1953 ), & VR ( Clyde-EMD G6B ) Y Class, 650 hp BoBo ( 1963 - 1968 ), used redundant Suburban Electric power bogies with rewired traction motors. The VR Y class were used all over the State, in both shunting yards and on local goods ( Pilots ) , as well as country branch lines. Rated to haul 1,000 tons on some Mallee ( NW Victoria ) wheat lines .

Regards, Tumut

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 25/11/2023 at 09:27, papagolfjuliet said:

Have the two LMS jackshaft shunters which survive in Italy been mentioned yet?

Some photos of one of them here: https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?17,6698323

On 25/11/2023 at 14:07, Michael Edge said:

One of them is in working order but the other is deteriorating rapidly.

First I've  heard of those; unlikely survivors.  The link is 10 years back; if they are indeed still about, I could see them being "rescued" back to Blighty by a British preservation group.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

First I've  heard of those; unlikely survivors.  The link is 10 years back; if they are indeed still about, I could see them being "rescued" back to Blighty by a British preservation group.

A repatriation bid was mooted in 2016, but I haven't heard anything since. https://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/1105/lms-built-shunters-in-italy-could-uk-preservationists-bid-to-bring-them-home/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's another photo of the operational one (LMS No. 7106) taken in 1996. Last I heard - which was two years ago - TFT was still using it as Bibbiena pilot and on occasional trains to the Baraclit concrete factory.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:15.11.96_Vercelli_Cariboni_700.001.jpg