Walking Routes

Been busy with work, so only limited progress on my the layout of late.

I’ve built a foot crossing in front of the (temporary) shed, which has been made by individual slabs, which were cut from a sheet of Wills plastic. I have several more feet of walkway to build before ballasting can start. The walkways will be painted in due course.

SNCB 5102 - Mehano

I’ve also built the base for the fuel point, this will also be painted and weathered, and pipe work etc added. This will be based on the one at Gouvy which is out in the open and has no weather protection for staff.

SNCB 5102 - Mehano

Final activity of the week was fitting a DCC chip to a Mehano SNCB 26. The loco came via a well known auction site but didn’t run well when I put a chip in it (it was ok on normal D.C. though), I normally tend to use ESU Lok Pilot / Sound v4 or v5 chips. However I only had a Lok Pilot Standard chip “in stock”, I tried to run an Autotune, but subsequently found out these chips don’t have this feature. I swapped an ESU chip from another loco, ran Autotune and noted down the CV’s from 51 to 55 (I’ve no idea what these actually do). Reinstalled the original chip and amended the CV’s, the change was instant and the loco now runs properly. I have had similar issues in the past with Mehano models for some reason.

SNCB 2618 - Mehano

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6

New Arrivals

Couple of new arrivals bringing things a bit more up to date, a Piko class 29 (E186) numbered 2901. This locomotive entered service in 2009 and remained in service with SNCB / B Logistics until 2017 carrying the number 2901, the loco carries Alpha Trains silver and green livery.

SNCB 2901 - Piko

The only issue this arrival gives me I have reached the 100 loco limit on the Z21 handheld unit meaning the memory is now full, any ideas how to increase it?

The next arrival is now a selection of parts, I purchased a Mehano class 77 as it had a different running number on it (7771). The model was advertised as spares or repair, the motor ran well but was a bit lumpy when it moved. The problem was one of the gears on the axles was splitting so the cogs were clashing together. I have had a look on line and can’t see anywhere selling Mehano spares, any ideas? One option I have considered is removing the gear wheel on the axle and just have it powering 3 axles instead of 4, which should be fine on my layout as it will only be ever moving a few vehicles around. Initially I had considered taking the motor out of it completely and use it as a dummy with my other 77’s, but having it powered would be a bonus.

SNCB 7771 - Mehano

The final bit of modelling activity has been fitting sound to the Luxembourg Railways CFL class 16. The model is by Roco, the sound file is a Dirk one, who I have used previously for a number of locos. This particular locomotive was in service until 1994 and would have worked into Belgium on passenger services. It was subsequently preserved on the Vennbahn and then moving to PFT in 2006. The loco had operated on the mainline in preservation so is a suitable loco to work enthusiast specials etc when I operate the layout in its later years of operation.

Here’s a video of start up from the fuelling point.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

I bought a Rivarossi SBB Bm4/4 with split gears ( it was cheap) and replaced them with a set found on eBay, I looked for the correct diameter and number of teeth. I did have to rewheel it with Peters Spares wheels as the original axles had splines and we’re too large a diameter for the axles - hence the brass sleeves outboard of the gears

1E217F49-FF32-4B76-8037-9C1068B2BDCF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 16:58, doctor quinn said:

I bought a Rivarossi SBB Bm4/4 with split gears ( it was cheap) and replaced them with a set found on eBay, I looked for the correct diameter and number of teeth. I did have to rewheel it with Peters Spares wheels as the original axles had splines and we’re too large a diameter for the axles - hence the brass sleeves outboard of the gears

1E217F49-FF32-4B76-8037-9C1068B2BDCF.jpeg

Thanks for the tip, I’ll see what I can come up with.

i did want some Mehano spare buffers but ended up using Roco replacements in the end as they looked “good enough”.

Thanks,

Neil

Another Visitor Arrives

Another visiting locomotive has arrived, in 1999 ACTS purchased 5 Belgian class 62’s to work container trains in Holland. The engines were repainted etc before leaving for Holland and I understand did return on odd occasions for repairs so there is an excuse to run one on the layout. If in doubt Rule 1 applies...

The model is produced by Roco and has been fitted with an ESU Loksound v5 decoder. I have used the “standard ESU project” for a SNCB class 62, but I’ve added Drive Hold. One observation of the Roco model is it comes fitted with the third headlight, so they have altered the SNCB bodyshell, rather than just repaint the existing body.

Here’s a video of it starting and departing.

Happy Christmas and stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Second Fiddle Yard & Santa Arrivals

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year in these strange times. We stayed in Scotland and did Zoom / FaceTime calls, which actually worked very well and saved me driving 400 miles each way.

I’ve not had much time for modelling over the break, I did connect up and test the fiddle yard at the left hand end for the first time. This will only be for exhibition use as there isn’t currently space to have it set up at home with both fiddle yards.

Here is a quick YouTube clip of a Piko class 80 entering and then returning to the fiddle yard. The extra foot of length also extends the headshunt for the carriage sidings, to fit a mainline loco and three scale length coaches.

A couple of new arrivals from Santa, first a SNCB class 28 electric by Piko, rather than the current Traxx locomotives (also produced by Piko), this is the original class 28 which was introduced in the 1950’s and lasted until about 1996 on ECS workings. They also did work a few railtours over the years I do recall travelling behind one on a PFT (Belgian Preservation Society) from Leuven to Bruxelles.

SNCB 2801 - Piko

One other addition is a water tower by Kit Nord, which will go at the front of the layout. It’s actually a bit larger than I expected, and requires painting and details added to it.

Belgian Water Tower - Kit Nord

Belgian Water Tower - Kit Nord

Especially after today’s announcements, stay safe everyone.

Neil

• Like 8

On 05/01/2021 at 21:23, Brian Hawkins said:

Hello Neil, Happy New Year, nice to see the original class 28 from Piko, i ordered this model DCC sound fitted from that well known shop in Dusseldorf only to recieve  it AC sound fitted Doh !

Stay safe and take care.

Happy new year to you as well. I tried to reply yesterday but RM Web wouldn't let me.

Good luck sorting your 28 out, the model is in stock at other shops when I looked before Christmas if the worst comes to the worst.

My one should hopefully become mobile in the next day or so as the DCC chip arrived in the post yesterday.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Thanks 1

Starting out with Kadee’s

I’ve decided to try “grown up” couplings rather than normal Roco style loop couplers that I’ve used on other layouts. I have used some spare number 18 Kadee couplers as a trial. Although there won’t be many wagons on the layout so I fitted couplings to one loco (class 62) and a shunter (class 80) and a few 4 wheel tankers which will represent the fuel delivery train, and a flat wagon for transporting power units around on.

SNCB 8045 - Kadee

SNCB 6244 - Kadee Couplers

I have tried using Kadee uncouplers between the tracks but these are very ugly as they sit on top of the sleepers. Also they foul some of the coupler arms, as a number of Marklin wagons couplers drop slightly once the replacement kadee’s are fitted. 

Following reading on various forums I’ve purchased some 3mm cubed magnets off of eBay and will give these a try placed between the sleepers and see how I get on with these.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 4

Buffers

Bit of modelling / bodging I do need a couple of stop blocks, but I couldn’t see anything suitable online. I was after something like this.

NMBS 7501 Antwerpen Dam

So with bits of a LMS bufferstop from Lanarkshire Models and a coffee stirrer. I came up with this, it obviously needs painting but looks the part.

Belgian Buffer Stop

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

happy new year! 

could you not cut out a hole in the cork (and centre of the sleepers if necessary) and then put the magnet in that?

cheers

tim

I did consider that, if the little magnets don’t work, I’ll give that a try, trying to keep the magnets hidden as much as possible.

I’ve only gone for Kadee’s so “the hand” doesn’t keep appearing from above at exhibitions (should it ever attend one).

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

I went for buried Kadee magnets under the track (the big square kind) and found the steel axles of most Euro stock made uncoupling rather difficult but not impossible. Frustrating though compared to typical US practice.

I had started changing over to non ferrous axles but due to my move, didn’t get any further. I also found the Kadee trip pin pliers to be invaluable for adjusting the trip pins.

Hope this helps,

John.

• Like 3

On 05/01/2021 at 21:23, Brian Hawkins said:

Hello Neil, Happy New Year, nice to see the original class 28 from Piko, i ordered this model DCC sound fitted from that well known shop in Dusseldorf only to recieve  it AC sound fitted Doh !

Stay safe and take care.

Changing the subject, I won't mention the football at the weekend.... Used to be a City Season Ticket until 2010, when I exiled myself up here !!!

Stay safe,

Neil

On 09/01/2021 at 11:15, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Neil,

I went for buried Kadee magnets under the track (the big square kind) and found the steel axles of most Euro stock made uncoupling rather difficult but not impossible. Frustrating though compared to typical US practice.

I had started changing over to non ferrous axles but due to my move, didn’t get any further. I also found the Kadee trip pin pliers to be invaluable for adjusting the trip pins.

Hope this helps,

John.

Looking forward to playing with the uncouplers I like the idea of sitting in my office chair and playing trains without the big hand having to intervene every 2 minutes !!!

Have ordered a load of packs of Kadee's I wish they sold the NEM ones in bulk.

Will start with only doing some of the ends of coaches and a few locos, as I have 60+ loco's that could appear on the layout.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 1

More Kadee’s

A box full of Kadee NEM couplers has arrived, I was unaware a pack contained 4 couplers I had assumed only 2, so that was a bonus.

So far I’ve fitted 10 locomotives and a number of coaches, each one required adjustment, so I used the Kadee pliers. Only about 60 locos and loads of coaches and wagons to go.... I’m only fitting the ends the rakes and using the existing close couplings between the vehicles.

SNCB 5183 - Mehano

SNCB M2’s Marklin

Only one issue so far I can’t see a way of changing the coupling in the Van Biervliet/ B Models class 91 shunter, I’ve unscrewed every screw I can find but can’t get at the NEM pocket. I’m planning to drop Van Biervliet an email and ask for advice.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6

I’ve had a response from Van Biervliet their suggestion was to cut the coupling centre section out. Wasn’t at all keen on this idea as if I broke the coupling I would need to bodge something. In the end I plucked up the courage and drilled the middle bit out and eased the coupler out.

So here is the class 91 now fitted with Kadee couplers.

SNCB 9101 - Van Biervliet

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6

Flashing Lights

Used all my stock of Kadee couplers so ordered some more!! I’ve fitted about half the Belgian locos and a few wagons so far.

Was going to order from a shop on the South Coast as I have previously done however their prices have gone up £3 a pack and when you’re ordering 20 packs that makes a difference so my money has gone elsewhere!!! Not sure the reason for the increase.

The uncoupling magnets still haven’t turned up not sure where they are...

One arrival this week is a set of Belgian Busch level crossing lights these will go by the shed and be on the bypass line.

One question I do have is how I connect this to my DCC system? In the clip above its connected to a 12v supply but ideally I’d like to power it from the DCC bus. I guess I need an accessory decoder? Any suggestions?

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 1

Replacement Magnets

Got fed up of waiting for the original magnets to arrive so ordered some replacement ones which were on guaranteed 24 hour delivery.

They arrived today and tried a few options for placement. A row of 4 magnets in a line and 5 rows one after the other seems to work ok.

Here is a quick video:

I had to superglue each row one at a time and tape them down while the glue dried. 

The magnets will be painted and weathered in due course when the track is ballasted to make them blend in. I do think they look a lot less conspicuous than the normal Kadee ones.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 20/01/2021 at 21:42, Neils WRX said:

Flashing Lights

One question I do have is how I connect this to my DCC system? In the clip above its connected to a 12v supply but ideally I’d like to power it from the DCC bus. I guess I need an accessory decoder? Any suggestions?

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

I have done something similar to control platform lighting. I used the output from one of these decoders https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/cobalt-ip-dcc-decoder-fx-stall-motor-drive-2-way-output/ to operate a twin coil latching relay via a couple of diodes. I think you could drive a single coil relay directly. Connect your dc supply to the relay contacts or switch the dcc supply via a bridge rectifier to give a DC output.

• Like 1

More magnets & 6106

Some more magnets have arrived and I now have 12 uncouplers rigged up. They are excellent and really do the job and work as delayed couplers with the Kadee couplers. In fact I think the magnets are a bit too good as they pull the couplers on the Mehano class 51’s downwards so I think I’ll need to modify them somehow. The magnets also cause the class 91 shunter to uncouple most times it crawls over the magnets, this doesn’t seem to effect the other shunters guess it’s because it’s quite a light weight loco.

Another box of Kadee couplers have arrived and I’m busy fitting more locos, coaches and wagons.

As mentioned in another thread I’ve made my first post Brexit purchase a SNCB model of 6106, which is preserved by PFT so fits in with the layout and could arrive on railtours etc. Here is the loco on the layout before Kadee’s were fitted.

SNCB 6106 - Van Biervliet / B Models

It took a couple emails to get the shop to send to the UK, but managed it in the end and ordered a signal and DCC accessory decoder (to work the signal) in the box as well. I paid by PayPal which included Belgian VAT. On reading other forums and on BBC News website, I fully expected to get charged UK VAT and a handling charge, however Parcelforce just dropped the parcel off as normal (prior to 1/1/21). On looking at the parcel there was a customs label on the box but someone have helpfully put the transit label over the top of it, so that might explain the lack of UK VAT.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

More magnets & 6106

Some more magnets have arrived and I now have 12 uncouplers rigged up. They are excellent and really do the job and work as delayed couplers with the Kadee couplers. In fact I think the magnets are a bit too good as they pull the couplers on the Mehano class 51’s downwards so I think I’ll need to modify them somehow. The magnets also cause the class 91 shunter to uncouple most times it crawls over the magnets, this doesn’t seem to effect the other shunters guess it’s because it’s quite a light weight loco.

Another box of Kadee couplers have arrived and I’m busy fitting more locos, coaches and wagons.

As mentioned in another thread I’ve made my first post Brexit purchase a SNCB model of 6106, which is preserved by PFT so fits in with the layout and could arrive on railtours etc. Here is the loco on the layout before Kadee’s were fitted.

SNCB 6106 - Van Biervliet / B Models

It took a couple emails to get the shop to send to the UK, but managed it in the end and ordered a signal and DCC accessory decoder (to work the signal) in the box as well. I paid by PayPal which included Belgian VAT. On reading other forums and on BBC News website, I fully expected to get charged UK VAT and a handling charge, however Parcelforce just dropped the parcel off as normal (prior to 1/1/21). On looking at the parcel there was a customs label on the box but someone have helpfully put the transit label over the top of it, so that might explain the lack of UK VAT.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Hi Neil, what manufacturer is SNCB 6106 from please.