Hattons temp closure to visitors

mpb56125

5 hours ago, mpb56125 said:

Normally collect in store. Asked to hold my order until store reopens and they won't. Instead they are charging the £4.00 delivery to post it. I drive past the location most days so its normally a small detour.

1 hour ago, knapper said:

All that just save a £4 postage fee seems like a faff for everyone involved

Or they could just hold it in store for him. Just seems a bit bloodyminded of them TBH.

Edited by truffy
spoiling

Perhaps, but if the person's saying he drives past, then it's a 'convenient option' - pay, get a PIN, enter plus car reg plus time ... or something convenient ... et voila.

We're in totally uncharted waters, and packaging for Royal Mail, DPD, or similar means handing to others, to others, who might ... 

Al.

It is a time when others needs and precautions are as important as ours.  If the store deems that it is safer for all concerned to temporarily close up business then it is abiding with ever more stringent operating conditions.  My son arrived downunder yesterday afternoon from South Africa which currently has a low infection rate,  mostly if not all from those who have travelled overseas and not community transfer.  The risk that he would have been infected is tolerably very low but he like the rest of people entering Australia has had to enter a two week self- isolation routine.  We all need to make some inconveniences and alas as the song says,  "You ain't seen nothing yet".

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, truffy said:

Or they could just hold it in store for him. Just seems a bit bloodyminded of them TBH.

Seriously? Businesses are worried cashflow and even staying in business but yet they have to pander to one individual's personal demands? Bit like the people demanding Andy Y shut down Ally Pally and tell them  immediately. Some people need to get over themselves and think of the bigger picture.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2020 at 09:40, truffy said:

OK, I'll bite...what the hell does this have to do with Hattons' products (the subject of this forum). Why not post this in the model shop guide forum?

It is the problem of sub-divisions, occurs across society. Once you have multiple options for effectively the same thing it becomes inevitable. Hattons = shop (retail & mail order) plus designer and supplier, but not in-house manufacturers, of own brand product.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I understand that not allowing anyone to collect items from the store is an inconvenience and I do apologise.

However, we’re trying to deal with an unprecedented situation across the country, and world, right now. We have to take appropriate steps to protect the people around us. Whether that be colleagues, families or the wider community.
We are trying to keep disruption to an absolute minimum and we will be sure to publish any changes to the status of individual areas and the business as a whole on our Hattons Service Updates page. You can also sign up to be automatically notified of any changes via a form on that page.

Thank you for your understanding and I hope you’re all well.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Sayeth the BBC.....

"And so, social breakdown, and civil disobedience, has struck today in Liverpool. A man was seen to be in an affray with another gent, seen to be carrying model railway fishplates. The police called the Emergency Services, and the NHS Ambulance teams to attend to a victim. The victim, a teddy bear in his thirties, was treated for a broken arm, and a dislodged glass eye. Police are appealing for witnesses, and the pram, from which the bear was catapulted, remains in custody".

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

6 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Seriously? Businesses are worried cashflow and even staying in business but yet they have to pander to one individual's personal demands? Bit like the people demanding Andy Y shut down Ally Pally and tell them  immediately. Some people need to get over themselves and think of the bigger picture.

A couple of things.

They had already took payment so no cash flow issues.

I do shift work including nights so don't fancy been woken up during the day for a non urgent parcel. That why I always collect in store as its easier for me.

I'm in no rush for the order so happy to wait for the shop to re-open in a few weeks if need be. I have had orders held for over 2 weeks in the past due to being on holiday with no issues.

This was the reply I got when they first contacted me and I requested they hold onto my order until the shop reopens.

I am very sorry that we are unable to hold orders and this will either need to be despatched for a home delivery or cancelled for a refund. It would be appreciated if you could confirm how you would like us to proceed. We will be able to despatch via either Royal Mail tracked 24 or DPD tracked 24 services.

If you watch this Hattons video https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=762 at around 2:45 it states will keep hold of your order until the shop reopens if required. I only watched the video last night.

By collecting from the shop you get a chance to look at and test the model before collecting. With not having to mess about and returning the model if wrong or faulty. 

Mark

Edited by mpb56125
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi 

I'm Managing Director and owner of Hatton's

I apologise for the wording of the email

When we closed the store, I instructed the manager responsible to leave the "Collect in hub" option open, and then offer postage to whichever ones arrived.  I'm sorry that the "or cancelled for a refund" element has appeared - we can easily leave the order unpicked for the time being.

We will be rewording that email accordingly. Sorry for the questions that arose because of this, and thank you for your custom

Rich

Hatton's

Edited by richarddavies
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, richarddavies said:

Hi 

I'm Managing Director and owner of Hatton's

I apologise for the wording of the email

When we closed the store, I instructed the manager responsible to leave the "Collect in hub" option open, and then offer postage to whichever ones arrived.  I'm sorry that the "or cancelled for a refund" element has appeared - we can easily leave the order unpicked for the time being.

We will be rewording that email accordingly. Sorry for the questions that arose because of this, and thank you for your custom

Rich

Hatton's

Thanks for the update. 

Mark

Oh, the humanity, over 200,000 infected worldwide, over 8000 deaths,  schools and universities forced to close, sporting fixtures called off, airlines shutdown, international borders closed,  person asked to pay GBP4.00 postage,  massive unemployment prediction,  worldwide recession,  bars and restaurants forced to close,  night time curfews in major cities,  people forced to self quarantine,  people forced to stay at home and only venture out for food or medical assistance, medical supplies dry up,  shortage of PPE equipment for medical professionals leading to many doctors and nurses getting infected.  One thing not in short supply is personal selfishness and lack of awareness of the needs of others.    No matter how bad the crisis there are still those who cannot think outside themselves.   We need another Churchill to remind us that we are part of something greater than ourselves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don't think that you've read the OP and follow-up, or understood the specific situation.

Perhaps you should just revert to starting threads on how you bought a loco dirt cheap, from the other side of the globe, and breathed new life into it through simply....ZZZZzzzzzz?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Sayeth the BBC.....

"And so, social breakdown, and civil disobedience, has struck today in Liverpool. A man was seen to be in an affray with another gent, seen to be carrying model railway fishplates. The police called the Emergency Services, and the NHS Ambulance teams to attend to a victim. The victim, a teddy bear in his thirties, was treated for a broken arm, and a dislodged glass eye. Police are appealing for witnesses, and the pram, from which the bear was catapulted, remains in custody".

Psst. Not Liverpool anymore unfortunately. That shop is now some kind of hipster eatery.   :(

They are now in a strange place where they play something called rugby.....

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, truffy said:

I don't think that you've read the OP and follow-up, or understood the specific situation.

Perhaps you should just revert to starting threads on how you bought a loco dirt cheap, from the other side of the globe, and breathed new life into it through simply....ZZZZzzzzzz?

Nigel,

each to his own.  I read the response and at GBP4.00 I do not think the postman is knocking on his door for a signature and waking him up.  He says he works night shift yet he is still passing the store during the daytime so not asleep all day.  I read the store's response as well but ultimately it is the store who sets the rules, not the customer.  If one person is inconvenienced then it is but a small price to pay.    My buying "dirt cheap locomotives" and "breathing new life into them"  was to encourage others to look at buying non-runner locomotives and how to fix them.  At one time there were dozens of non-runners for me to buy but now they are hard to find as it seems others see the virtue in an inexpensive purchase and a bit of simple rectification.  However, if you enjoy what you do in trying to insult others then that is no doubt part of your hobby so enjoy it as I enjoy fixing someone else's defective item.  However, snooze away or as you previously stated bring on the dancing girls,  life goes on whether you respond or not.

8 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My buying "dirt cheap locomotives" and "breathing new life into them"  was to encourage others to look at buying non-runner locomotives and how to fix them.  At one time there were dozens of non-runners for me to buy but now they are hard to find as it seems others see the virtue in an inexpensive purchase and a bit of simple rectification.

All power to your elbow! And if you add photos to help explain your work, that might help more people to become fixer-uppers.

But what's wrong with using a blog or a workbench thread to keep them all in one place? That's what others do, rather than adding threads to forums better suited for announcement and discussion of new products. Just a thought.

Edited by truffy
Grandma
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Oh, the humanity, over 200,000 infected worldwide, over 8000 deaths,  schools and universities forced to close, sporting fixtures called off, airlines shutdown, international borders closed,  person asked to pay GBP4.00 postage,  massive unemployment prediction,  worldwide recession,  bars and restaurants forced to close,  night time curfews in major cities,  people forced to self quarantine,  people forced to stay at home and only venture out for food or medical assistance, medical supplies dry up,  shortage of PPE equipment for medical professionals leading to many doctors and nurses getting infected.  One thing not in short supply is personal selfishness and lack of awareness of the needs of others.    No matter how bad the crisis there are still those who cannot think outside themselves.   We need another Churchill to remind us that we are part of something greater than ourselves.

Churchill was well-known for staying 'well out of it' . He took 2 bodyguards when he toured the east end of London.  If my late grandmother was still alive (she'd be 127 this year) she would tell you straight. 

People revert to type when faced with a crisis: It's the human nature to survive. We also nowadays, have a new thing, called 'entitlement'. "Get out of my way! My car is more expensive, and newer than yours!" sort of thing. 

We've now got isolation in force. If someone calls to the front door, we let them have it with the 12 - bore. Yesterday, I bagged a meter reader, 2 boy scouts on bob-a-job, and 3 double glazing salesmen. The double glazing guys weave about a bit when they run away, but I got them in the end....

For people who can't read a joke, I'll type it in here.... JOKE!.... Or is it....?

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

Nigel,

I actually did this on another forum,  but after over 5000 postings I grew tired of the pedantic moderation the forum entailed.  I detailed in one thread many, many purchases, what was wrong with the model and how it was fixed.  By the time I joined this forum about a year ago pre-owned non-runners had started to become scarce as it seems others were motivated to take the chance and buy a non-running model to fix.  In the past year I have not been able to source that many models to fix and document.   I have thus killed my golden goose.  

Not sure as to whether this is the right place to post this but I ordered a Dapol 14XX 0 gauge locomotive on Wednesday  morning about 12 noon ish and it arrived via the post office at 9-45 am on Thursday .....FANTASTIC SERVICE HATTONS  considering the current situation 

A BIG THANK YOU 

:clapping:

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Alsnay said:

My thoughts exactly, I emailed in and received a generic response and left the following review on Google, though it doesn't seem to have been appearing or responded to yet even after 3 weeks.

Post removed.

Yeah; well, don't turn up on RMweb with your first post to grumble about the shop; we are not Tripadvisor.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...