7mm S&D Sentinel

Has anyone built any of these? (They come complete with motor and Delrin chain).

Any feedback?

Somerset & Dorset Sentinel | Walsworth Models

The distinctive 'bonnet' of this loco is pre-formed for you.The RTR price, built to your specification is £244.95p Free post and Packing to uk addresses on this Item

www.walsworthmodelservices.co.uk

Thanks,

Richard.

I'm tempted to go for this 'easy' kit whilst under 'lockdown' in a few weeks time.

I've asked the owner (John Percival) if the kit comes with oval buffers - rather than the round ones that are evident on the photo of his model. It's tempting to base the model on 'Joyce' at Midsomer Norton, now been fully restored and working well! However, be warned, there are some minor differences between the two 'Radstock Sentinels' and 'Joyce'.

A list can be seen here: http://sentinel7109.blogspot.com/p/7109-vs-radstock-sentinels.html

Hope that helps others. I'm hoping there's room for a DCC chip inside!

Richard.

Edit: John has sold out at present. He's also informed me that it was the S&D that changed the original round buffers to oval.

Still hoping to hear from someone who has built one...

• 3 weeks later...

Coming along... It's a good kit-- lots of excellent etches...only let down by my poor skill and some 'open' instructions with very few pictures. Good value for money  there's an 'OO' version for £140 and this the 7mm version (from a different manufacturer although I suspect some cross-fertilisation) is 'only' £185.

There's more details of the build and history of these diminutive locos on the GoG site.

Richard.

IMG_1332.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

Looking forward to seeing progress on this, it looks great.

Paul.

Coming along... It's a good kit-- lots of excellent etches...only let down by my poor skill and some 'open' instructions with very few pictures. Good value for money  there's an 'OO' version for £140 and this the 7mm version (from a different manufacturer although I suspect some cross-fertilisation) is 'only' £185.

There's more details of the build and history of these diminutive locos on the GoG site.

Richard.

Thanks...now waiting for some black spray paint!

R

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there....weathering yet to do and yes, the guard irons look too long to me too.

I'm not sure if I have the correct regulator handle. (?). The motor and pick-ups are in.

Will post more of a 'build' later.

IMG_1494.jpeg

IMG_1493.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi, yes, Halford's grey primer (red on the cab roof - but only 'cos I'd run out of grey).

Satin black from Amazon to complete. Still to weather and varnish though.

Can give more details tomorrow if you need them.

R

• Like 1

In my review for a magazine I wrote:

In summary, this is a good, detailed, relatively inexpensive kit, especially when one realises that wheels and motor are included and the 4mm version is almost the same price. Many of the parts are of a high quality, the etches are clean and parts are easily cut out. Some of the soft metal parts are not quite up to the same standard, but can be remedied - or not on show. It is not, in my view, a beginner’s kit despite the fact that this is only a four wheel loco with no coupling rods or valve gear to assemble. My major gripe is with the instructions and lack of pictures. John will supply such pictures by email on request but why not include them (or at least a web link) in the first place? I also think a photocopy of the lost wax parts still on their sprue, with labels attached would be very useful as well as a picture of the underneath of the chassis showing the position of the cogs and chains. Naturally, pictures of the real thing are obligatory.

Overall: recommended. 8.5/10.

I think I've overdone the weathering somewhat and I wish I'd used a satin varnish ....next time!

DSC_0804.jpeg

DSC_0807.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 16:30, RTJ said:

In my review for a magazine I wrote:

In summary, this is a good, detailed, relatively inexpensive kit, especially when one realises that wheels and motor are included and the 4mm version is almost the same price. Many of the parts are of a high quality, the etches are clean and parts are easily cut out. Some of the soft metal parts are not quite up to the same standard, but can be remedied - or not on show. It is not, in my view, a beginner’s kit despite the fact that this is only a four wheel loco with no coupling rods or valve gear to assemble. My major gripe is with the instructions and lack of pictures. John will supply such pictures by email on request but why not include them (or at least a web link) in the first place? I also think a photocopy of the lost wax parts still on their sprue, with labels attached would be very useful as well as a picture of the underneath of the chassis showing the position of the cogs and chains. Naturally, pictures of the real thing are obligatory.

Overall: recommended. 8.5/10.

I think I've overdone the weathering somewhat and I wish I'd used a satin varnish ....next time!

DSC_0804.jpeg

DSC_0807.jpeg

Looks alright to me! Good job. Might have to look at getting the 4mm version.

Can you tell me a bit about your background image? It looks reasonably like the North Somerset coalfield.

Kind regards,

Iain

• 1 year later...

Quick question, please;  I assume the front and rear windows were glazed.  They appear so in the model, but the photos I have do not make it clear.  Thanks.  Pete

PS model is nearly complete.  Side beam compensation, motor re-positioned to allow battery/radio control pack, water filler made lift-able to access charging point.