Rails announce SE&CR 16' Covered Goods Wagon

Oliver Rails

23 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Many ( most ? ) of the power stations and quite a few industries ( north Kent / Medway cement in particular ) were deliberately situated where they could receive coal direct from coasters or lighters - so there wouldn't be as much transshipment coal as you might expect.

Logically, yes. But there were anomalies all over, presumably driven by quirks of microeconomics. For example, at one point Beadle Brothers, a London-area coal factor and retailer, hired some wagons from Pickerings to move coal that had been shipped to Erith wharf on the Thames by Wm. Cory Ltd (at that time parent company of Beadles) to LSWR stations on the South coast. And the hired wagons were previously owned by Rickett Smith, another retail subsidiary of Cory's. You couldn't make it up.

Beadle's wagons, incidentally, demonstate well that coal wagons were not very uniform before WW1, despite the advent of RCH standards. One could make an accurate model of a Beadle Bros. wagon and it wouldn't be very accurate in any other livery. Or one could make a model from the RCH 1887 pattern-drawings and it wouldn't Beadle very well.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

Beadle's wagons, incidentally, demonstate well that coal wagons were not very uniform before WW1, despite the advent of RCH standards. One could make an accurate model of a Beadle Bros. wagon and it wouldn't be very accurate in any other livery. Or one could make a model from the RCH 1887 pattern-drawings and it wouldn't Beadle very well.

Ian Pope has very kindly provided me with copies of his transcripts of the Midland Railway private owner wagon registers in the National Archives. The first volume, covering the first 8,000 registrations from November1887 to January 1892, lists 37 different builders (including some users building their own wagons), ranging from the big firms such as Metropolitan, Birmingham, Gloucester, Clay, etc. through to such obscure firms as Barber, Walker or Olive. These wagons will all have conformed to the 1887 RCH specification but will have differed in significant details from builder to builder. I can spot a Gloucester wagon at a distance; I'm starting to get a feel for Birmingham...

Edited by Compound2632

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 17:47, Edwardian said:

The key limiting factor is weight, An empty Open in this medium probably would not weigh enough to hold the track in a train of wagons. The box van has a weight printed integrally to the top of the chassis unit. The equivalent in an Open would require a fixed load to be printed.

I have considered printing with tarpaulins in place over a load.  That is certainly a way to ensure sufficient weight.  The problem there is twofold.  As Guy says, markings on it would be hard to reproduce, but also, masking the tarpaulin from the body sides for painting would probably not be practical.  

We are not keen to add to component or assembly cost by gluing weights underneath, and would prefer a more elegant solution.

It would, I think, be useful to know what people think about this issue of weighting an Open wagon. 

If the component and assembly cost of attaching a weight to the underside of an open wagon is a problem. Could the wagon be sold with one or two circular recesses or raised rings on the under side into which the customer could glue the commonly available copper plated steel disks. Myself having what my late wife described as Scottish tendencies, would be more than happy to save 48p on the cost of a wagon if supplying it to weight yourself dropped the retail  price by 50p.

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In case it is of interest to parishioners, speaking to one of the management team at the 3D print factory yesterday, I learnt that they have just completed printing 5,000 PPE visors for the NHS, using the same technology as that used for the Rails vans, and I, for one, don't mind them not printing wagons in the circumstances!

Ahhhhhh !   But which livery were they finished is ?   SECR, Southern Railway or British Railways ?   They could look rather stylish in fully lined SECR green and yellow.

More seriously  -  good for them.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Has there been any official word on the possibility of an N gauge version of either of these vans? Even a get stuffed would be alright, just takes the speculation out of it. 

Thanks 

Nothing official, so far as I am aware.

I suspect that the CAD would have to be completely re-drawn for 2mm scale, with new paint-jigs, packaging etc, so the only thing you'd start with would be the benefit of the research.

Thus, doing a thing in 4mm probably doesn't give us much of a head-start in 2mm.

Once a 4mm range is established, it would be at least possible to consider product in other scales. It should be technically possible, I should have thought, to produce vehicles for N.  In principle, I don't see why Rails would not consider anything that is commercially viable for which there is sufficient demand.  So, while it might be a while before there is a response, I don't think the response for now would be "get stuffed", more likely "wait and see"!  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
42 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi All.

What with all the announcements of new locos etc. Does anyone know if Rails are thinking of doing another run of these 4mm vans ?

All the best

Ray

Who knows?

With Rapido doing a whole range of RTR SECR wagons and vans, maybe not. Also the GWR mink that was 3D printed by rails will now appear as a Rapido RTR van as well. So maybe even RTR is not impossible (granted this van shares little with anything else).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

When these vans were first announced, most were sold out on pre-order in about 24 hours, leaving me only able to order the SR pair.

I really wanted the 5 SECR versions. This was at the start of Covid and they appeared about a year later still during Covid.

Prior to this, I had the later 1424 from their first run with later break gear. This was repainted in SECR though clearly with the wrong roof and brakes - but better than nothing.

I scanned Rails website relentlessly looking for spare ones of the new batches to buy. At first there were only special door ones available. I brought 2 of them figuring I could renumber one or convert it. Then  - as others were not appearing - about a month later I got another 2 figuring I could try to convert the doors. So 4 special door versions + 1 from the original batch repainted.

Then the SR ones appeared, I had 2 on order and they arrived. About a month later, additional ones were released on sale, so I brought another pair figuring I could repaint them. The second pair really showed how tough the models are as they had been crushed between the rollers of the letter handling machines. The parcel arrived well and truly squashed! So much so that the vans had imprinted themselves onto the plastic and card of the boxes! Remarkably the vans themselves were fine. Tough beasts!

So I now had 4 SR ones, 4 special box ones and 1 from the original batch repainted. 9 or 4 more than the initial batch of 5 I wanted.

A few months later the remaining SECR did appear (though not all at once) and I managed to get the remainder. Now I had 13. What to do?

The  original run repainted one, swapped chassis and roof with an SR one and I left another in SR. Even if I my SR collection is small, these would be wellcome.

And finally recently, I managed to get round to repainting 2 SR versions into the earlier wainwright liveries when 1 special door version was repainted into the later SECR livery. The roofs on most had degraded over time (deforming and paint cracking), so this was addressed as well.

I still have three 9944 special door versions in Wainwright, Obviously one will remain as is, but not sure about the other two and being in France, it's not easy for me to sell off excess stock.

I mixed up my own paint colours, matching Rapido for the latter SECR colour and doing something lighter (but not as light as Rails) for the Wainwright livery. Transfers are Fox. Below pictures of most of the fleet:

nine 1424s together 

1424_07.jpg

Left 2 repainted SR vans into SECR, vs Rails originals

1424_06.jpg

Left the van from an original batch (SR), repainted in SECR and given proper roof and brake gear

Right a special door van repainted into later SECR and renumbered

1424_05.jpg

Two differents sets of repaints. Obviously 9934 (from the original batch) has too dark paint but it will serve)

1424_04.jpg

1424_03.jpg

1424_02.jpg

The 3 vans in Later SECR livery. The two on the left being rails original, and the right a 9944 special door repainted to later livery

1424_01.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4