Voyager 220/221/222 (meridian) photos and videos

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just about "on topic". Was looking at Google Earth pics of Shrewsbury the other day and was surprised to see a 5-car Voyager in one of the bay platforms. What would it be doing there?

Probably on a Shrewsbury-London service.....(Started in 2015 I think)

Pic from flickr.com

Virgin Trains 221116 @Shrewsbury 26/09/2019

(

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's one June 2016 sitting outside Shrewsbury waiting to be allowed into a platform for the return working. The view is from Severn Bridge Junction Signal Box, only the largest mechanical box in the world!

Plus one of it arriving before I gained access to the box.

IMGP4498.JPG

IMGP4481.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

222018.jpg.3e80c71595104a4db9be21bea0b59c90.jpg

222018 heads the 1D28 10:35 St Pancras - Nottingham away from Market Harborough - 28th July 2021

221126.jpg.1badaffe998bdcb6599fd86ea2f7d892.jpg

Back to June 2019, and 221126 heads away from Leeds with a southbound service.

Lineup.jpg.5cee0c44d2706c178ce5433f4435cc68.jpg

On the same day 221128 joins 43310, 156468 and 142088 in a never to be repeated photo (the Pacer has since been scrapped and will 43310 ever work again?).

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Voyager has now been in service for 19 years in a variety of guises and with several TOC. It is not to say the least a universally popular way to cover long distances.Change is on the way with EMR which seems to be going with the ubiquitous Hitachi option . So then what happens when the 222 goes off lease with EMR and the 221 with Avanti West Coast which is also making noises regarding replacement ?  This leaves the Cinderella XC service with an ageing fleet of 170 and 220/221 which I sincerely hope will also be replaced before I fall off the tree. Or will it be that XC gets the reach me down Voyagers suitably “ refurbished “ thus perpetuating the ordeal of a journey by rail from South West to across the Border ?   

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The Voyager has now been in service for 19 years in a variety of guises and with several TOC. It is not to say the least a universally popular way to cover long distances.Change is on the way with EMR which seems to be going with the ubiquitous Hitachi option . So then what happens when the 222 goes off lease with EMR and the 221 with Avanti West Coast which is also making noises regarding replacement ?  This leaves the Cinderella XC service with an ageing fleet of 170 and 220/221 which I sincerely hope will also be replaced before I fall off the tree. Or will it be that XC gets the reach me down Voyagers suitably “ refurbished “ thus perpetuating the ordeal of a journey by rail from South West to across the Border ?  

I've always felt that the Voyagers aren't really fundamentally bad (well, as much as I'll ever be prepared to say that about anything vaguely modern :) ), just too small for most of the work they ended up on.  If you're fortunate enough to get a table seat (at 6'3" tall I find the airline seats on them distinctly lacking in legroom, although again not a fault with the basic design of the train) and it's not busy they're no worse than a lot of other things on the network, and better than many.

27 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

AFAIK the Avanti 221s are going to XC ostensibly to permit withdrawal of the HSTs (we will see), the EMR 222s have no home at present though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Reorte said:

I've always felt that the Voyagers aren't really fundamentally bad (well, as much as I'll ever be prepared to say that about anything vaguely modern :) ), just too small for most of the work they ended up on.  If you're fortunate enough to get a table seat (at 6'3" tall I find the airline seats on them distinctly lacking in legroom, although again not a fault with the basic design of the train) and it's not busy they're no worse than a lot of other things on the network, and better than many.

That’s not really the point of my post,much as I find myself incarcerated on one to the North East frequently. And fundamental is an apt description. It would be useful to know what’s going to happen to them when they come off lease.  A journey on one can be as long as aTransatlantic crossing and maybe,just maybe it’s time due consideration was given to providing a more congenial environment which is apparently to be a selling point on the new Lomo service discussed here.  I suppose the underlying assumption with XC is that it is a major earner between intermittent call points en route and that most do not go the full distance in any case. So if you want more comfort you travel First Class.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It will be interesting to see how the Government handles it - in the past you'd have bidders for the franchise and they would make lovely noises about refurbishment of existing stock before it being replaced with a shiny new Hitachi.

But the days of franchise are over, so it will be a HMG mandated service which I guess means they decide what the stock will be.

In line with environmental concerns, you'd be looking at replacing these diesels with something that is bi-mode with potential for battery power when the technology is mature enough for long distances beyond the wires from Reading, through the Midlands or south from Birmingham.

So my guess will be the service will initially get more 221s to strengthen services and replace the HST even though the coaches are compliant but non standard now with the core XC fleet.  But an order for Hitachis will be placed to replace the lot.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Going back to 2008 during an ECML blockade, Hull Trains 222101 crosses over to take the single line at Sleaford North. In the background you can just about see the northbound service which was an Adalante, 180110 which would oust the Meridians from these services.

Of course now they would just bypass Sleaford on the avoider....

222101_3a.JPG.1fdaf5da3b2168f3ebc8b35e9fee825d.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 3