Egg Carton Castle: A Socially Distanced Project

Hullo all. With modelling resources hard to come by, I thought I’d try my hand at a project using nothing but rubbish. I thought a ruined castle would be the very thing. Using a small cardboard box and a kitchen roll tube, I made a shell. The stonework is mostly egg cartons, which have a very stony texture on the inside. My progress so far:

FA4A9B2C-634D-4F81-9FF8-3E4D9ACDCE58.jpeg

EB83982E-FD0D-4513-809D-8FA525068ECD.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Hope your project isn't affected by the current shortage of eggs, and therefore of egg cartons.  

You can get a surprising amount of building material from one carton. I already had one box (I had this idea a while back) so I only needed one more.

Anyway: progress!

664D621F-75F5-4D17-99C8-AF982F976665.jpeg

• Like 3

Agreed about the effectiveness of the surface texture, but I also think the proportions of your castle are really good too.  In fact, I so like your castle that I may try something similar to while away the lock down hours!

Steve S

12 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Agreed about the effectiveness of the surface texture, but I also think the proportions of your castle are really good too.  In fact, I so like your castle that I may try something similar to while away the lock down hours!

Steve S

Many thanks!

I’ve made a video about how I made the castle here. I have one about how I painted it coming out next week. In the meantime, I’ve been working on a fisherman’s chapel.

F3F933A1-268F-47C7-86F6-17854F484F83.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I do like the way you have used eggboxes to form the rough stones.  I guess that you just got snipping with a pair of scissors in a random way?  I would never have thought of doing it that way.   So will your next project be this :-)

image.png.bb7a7bb1349a39890ac506e3cedc320e.png