Get Britain Modelling - Weekly Challenges

AY Mod

• Moderators

Get Gritain Modelling 400.png

As part of our campaign to Get Britain Modelling we are going to run a series of weekly challenges with some prizes. One entry will be selected by the team each week and be highlighted on our World of Railways website, weekly newsletters and/or BRM magazine.

This week the theme is 'Social Distancing' so we would like to see pictures of how you are going about modelling in isolation (quirky or humorous is good!) or a scene which portrays the theme (are all your passengers keeping to the two-metre rule?). A couple of lines of text to accompany the picture would be great.

This week's challenge lasts until midday on Monday 13th April.

Get posting!

• Moderators

This is now up and running and looking forward to seeing your take on the challenge.

Happy to consider ideas for forthcoming weeks too!

• RMweb Gold

I think you've got the right idea about considering ideas for forthcoming weeks - after all, I suspect that quite a few people would be surprised if the "lockdown" were to finish in just a few weeks.

Since we're being frequently reminded to stay indoors - and model shops don't seem to appear on the government's "essential shops" list - I'm wondering if there might be some mileage in running challenges based on themes like:

• Building models (of anything) using whatever parts and materials (especially non standard ones) we already have at home. As an example, someone might build a model of some motive power or rolling stock (both deliberately loosely defined) - with a significant amount of the build using matchsticks, coffee stirrers, card, plastic sheet or even rigid foam (eg floral foam, foamcore, PVC foam, styrofoam or even tooling board).

• Upgrading or adapting existing models / kits - which we've already got at home. What I'm really thinking about here is that quite a few of us will have old / cheap RTR models, which don't meet modern standards for prototype fidelity etc - and which we probably wouldn't be too worried about "bashing". This could be anything from painting / lighting the interior of an old Lima coach (or multiple unit) to converting a model of one thing into a model of a different "class". I doubt if most of us will have access to spraybooths (although I don't think there's anything illegal about setting up a box or workbench in the back yard) - but let's not worry too much about perfect paint finishes, decals etc.

• Taking the adapting / converting theme a bit further, how about building homebrew bodies to fit onto cheap / damaged RTR chassis? I'm sure that many of us must have come across the 7mm NGA stands at exhibitions. A number of their guides feature conversions of cheap OO and HO RTR models into O-16.5, Oe and On30 locos / stock - these typically feature a RTR chassis, with a homebrew body (which they then show you how to build). Some of these conversions will be of real prototypes - some will be freelance. Also, lots of people won't be into narrow gauge - and lots of people will also be into different scales - but scale and gauge aren't the important issues here. Perhaps you might be more interested in building something like a "boxcab", in OO or HO, using a Bachmann "Underground Ernie" multiple unit chassis - nothing wrong with that, either.

OK - if we're only talking a week, it's quite possible that builds like these might not be fully completed in this time (especially if people don't have "oven ready" designs, ready to be "dusted off" and used). For example, locos / stock might not necessarily be able to roll in this time, even if people are able to hook up a controller and a length of track. I don't actually see this as too much of an issue - as long as very significant progress can be made in this time, with it being possible for the builds to be brought close to completion in a reasonably timely manner.

Ultimately, I see this sort of challenge as being mainly about getting people to try out modelmaking skills, techniques and materials they might not otherwise have considered. Better still if they're honest about what they found works  - and what they'd change on future builds - and if other people can then be encouraged to try some of these out for themselves. If we reach the end of a week with some builds as "works in progress", decisions can then be made on whether to complete them, or whether people will learn more from seeing the builds at a "part completed" stage.

It should be interesting to see what people come up with over the coming weeks and months.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Bill wasn't sure how wide the mini was in metres, he'd never understood the need for a metric system, but he was damn sure he was staying behind the car just in case.

old_bill_1.jpg.ed55c387bf07902eddb1af048b9031d2.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Bill wasn't sure how wide the mini was in metres, he'd never understood the need for a metric system, but he was damn sure he was staying behind the car just in case.

old_bill_1.jpg.ed55c387bf07902eddb1af048b9031d2.jpg

You could add: the garage behind is closed, and the train service may have been reduced in frequency too, in addition to the absence of other people in the scene?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've treated myself to one of those electric scooters to get me out into the countryside for my daily walks. The cardboard box is making a good place for spray painting.

So here's my attempt at creative photography showing the scooter, my painting task today, and a common denominator.

- Richard.

DSCF0341.jpg.eb368614b7484274137e0fc8dbf07c2a.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...