New forum area

Andy Y

Looking to do it outside but still in the closet. Will watch and learn how and then do it as well.

O is what I want to do and need to find out about track-beds. Have joined the O Gauge Guild to gain more knowledge on it but looking forward to finding out from those who have made it out into the real world.

O is what I want to do and need to find out about track-beds. Have joined the O Gauge Guild to gain more knowledge on it but looking forward to finding out from those who have made it out into the real world.

I guess the options are direct on the floor or on a wooden base near to the floor or I suppose at any height. A couple of good examples on here "Selby Garden Railway" and Heatherburn, both OO but the same principals would apply. I have invited both to joint the fun in this area.

John

Looked at track beds and it seems possibly marine ply covered in roofing felt will do. A semi realistic appearance come from using roofing felt with its rough appearance.

By using marine ply as well of a suitable thickness allows under board accessories up to the track to be fitted, point motors. Not sure yet as to which type is best as they do need to be weather proof so may be Peco solenoids may be not the best to us.

Going to go DCC for my set up which as far as I can tel should not be an issue as long as with any electrically driven arrangement the track is clean and free from debris.

Got some track, all Peco with points and slips waiting to be used along with a Heljan 47 and Mk1 coaches as well as a few wagons awaiting a clear route around the garden. 47 sound fitted and will eventually fit smoke as well. When the Heljan Deltic comes out and once fitted with sound and smoke it will be an impressive sight working its way its way around with a heavy load of 12 Mk1's.

Hi guys,

Will be watching with interest! Just got to decide which gauge/scale combination to go for! It would always be standard gauge, no matter what!

I already have 0 gauge stock & track so thats a serious possibility.

I've had a couple of goes at gauge 1 - like it but a touch pricey really!

Gauge 3 looks exceedingly tasty and most everything HAS to be built, no RTR here!

Got to get the garden properly sorted first, though!

Cheers,

John E.

We were running trains on Sunday on my Brother's 16mm scale garden railway, it's a collection of plywood sectional boards that form an oval and can be plonked on his lawn in a few minutes for an afternoon's running. I managed to get a 35 minute run out of my Accucraft Edrig, it was only the second time it's been steamed and is steadily improving as everything beds in. Sorry the picture is blurry, but it shows the baseboards well:

post-6819-127412181163_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now this is really what I need to kickstart me into doing something. After 5 months of not living at my place due to loft extension I am about to move back in and an outside O gauge is certainly on the list of jobs to do. I will be watching this with much interest.

Chris

Can stuff like this be included in here, that's me driving a class 20, shunting Erimus yard, Gilling.

If its outdoors I cant see why not !!! Not sure about that steam powered car in the background ?

Chris, looking forward to seeing an O gauge layout :)

John

• RMweb Premium

With thanks to Andy Y and John Teal for initiating and drawing my attention to (respectively) this new area it seems pertinent to mention that my own humble effort in the modelling area, Penhayle Bay, is actually outside. While not in the "Great Outdoors" in its truest sense it is only covered by a plastic awning and is open at the ends. It therefore is largely at the mercies of what ever Mother Nature throws at us being only protected from around 95% of rainfall. Everything else - from wind, through temperature and exposure to sunlight and regular massively overscale leaves on the line (!!) is just the same as it would be for those who have no roof over their lines.

Not to mention the occasional and occasionally damaging visit from the local wildlife. Skinks (small lizards), spiders and ants are always around. Possums and cats pay more attention than I'd like and have been known to cause slight structure damage while Blackbirds (though luckily no others, it appears) seem to like the ballast.

I'll try to find a few images showing just how open the layout is, as that is seldom obvious from the shots posted in its own thread, to which the link is in my signature as always.

Thanks Gwiwer and 87 101, I appreciate you responding to the call, I realise you both have layout threads/topics elsewhere on the forum, but it would be great to have a thread for each of you within this area.

As both of you have a lot of scenery for under canopies it is not always obvious your layouts are outside. Perhaps a thread each with a couple of overall / in context pictures and a link to where to find you else where on the forum would be helpful to those interested in venturing out ??

It may just be that we are enjoying sunny weather at the moment, but I do sense there is quite an interest in smaller scale outside, its the chance to run LONG trains :)

John

RJR

• RMweb Premium
outside, its the chance to run LONG trains

Sure is. As this link shows:-

th_P1010002-2.jpg

And if you lost count that's 17 bogies behind the West Country and not a trace of wheelslip as it started up the bank with the train back around the reverse-curves.

Another nice long one seen at the other end of the layout here. Even the branch train has 5 on.

DSC01520.jpg

And here's another of the West Country - this time with just the 10 IC Mk1 coaches on - showing something of the real world beyond the baseboard!

th_P1010003-5.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Probably more relevant to Aussie modellers Stuart but a timely reminder to us all. At least my Laserlight roof has some inbuilt UV protection.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice to see a dedicated area for those outside - been spending most of the last six years outside :D

Most recently, having seen pics of the Heljan Cl.20 just had to get one for running on the Romney Marsh Model Engineering Society track - the "O" gauge electric track runsa outside the G-Scale track:

post-586-127816934363.jpg

Back at home I've gradually been taking over the garden for a G-scale track running anything I like - European narrow gauge, European standard gauge, American standard gauge or Isle of Man 3ft :lol: ....it's my railway.....I run what I like ;)

post-586-127816957317.jpg

post-586-127816962361.jpg

post-586-127816965763.jpg

Despite having been n the garden for nearly six years there is still a lot of work to be done - especially track ballasting :O . We'll get there one day B) . Anyway, off to run a train.....

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, very nice to see an area dedicated to the great outdoors! I was a 4mm inside person, but faced with a reasonable sized garden in sunny northwest Florida and a Lady Wife who doesn't mind what happens in it, I decided to move into British style narrow gauge outside.

It's 45mm track - and a rubber ruler for the scale. sort of 15mm/16mm ft - so I suppose G scale is the general term. As I say rubber rulers rule!

Her's some photos...(ignore the DB box van, it was a visitor for the weekend!)

post-2283-127975753773.jpg

post-2283-127975755433.jpg

post-2283-12797575914.jpg

post-2283-127975761661.jpg

Archived