Dapol n gauge class 33 DCC issues

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

This morning I fitted two of my class 33s with a Bachmann 36-558A decoder. Decoder programs OK try to run the loco not a peep. I’ve also tried a Zen ZN6D same result. decoder programs OK but try running and not a peep. 

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the issue. Both run fine on DC.

I’m using a Digitrax Zephyr.

The decoder may read either way round, so if not sure on which is pin1 you have to try both.     

Long shot - is there any chance that the loco address is somehow in use on the Zephyr, or some how in a consist within the Zephyr ?   If not sure, you can reset the Zephyr with Op-Switch 36 or 39 (towards back of Digitrax manual on how to do that).     

• RMweb Premium

No. I have very few decoder fitted Locos...so far. so no duplicates.

Thanks....I will try swopping the decoder over, they are the same way up as my c47 and c31 which work OK.

• RMweb Premium

Well while I haven’t solved the issue I have a least got them programmed. It appears to be a combination of loco and chip that isn’t compatible. The DCC Concepts chips would only take a 2 digit number then work in the class 33. I put one in a Dapol n gauge  bubblecar and it programmed fine with a 4 digit number......Tried one in a Farish class 47 and that was OK too.

Edited by acg5324

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than start a new topic, I hope you don't mind me continuing this thread.

I bought 2 x Dapol 33s from the previous batch (not this month's latest releases), both of which were DCC factory-fitted.

I don't know specifically which brand of 6-pin chip they are fitted with, but when I run them using my Bachmann Dynamis controller, they both stutter/jerk when running. This does not get any better no matter how long I run them for. Both chips are set to the usual address '3'.

I have tested both locos on DC and they run smoothly without issues. I also temporarily tested them with a Lenz Silver Mini chip from another loco and they ran great with that too.

Has anyone else had any issues running these with the factory-fitted chips, or is anyone able to advise what the issue might be? Any advice would be most appreciated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dapol use Gaugemaster  DCC23 decoders for factory fitted 6pin models.

Sadly its not an amazingly good decoder and you're better off with a £20 Zimo MX617N (might need to trim the pins to make it fit).

• Thanks 1