Salmon Wagon updates

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

fair game

Thankfully many contributors have shown more good grace towards Flangeway as the ones being most impacted by this than that sort of stance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Thankfully many contributors have shown more good grace towards Flangeway as the ones being most impacted by this than that sort of stance.

I have nothing but sympathy for Flangeway; at no point have I expressed any view concerning them. My opinions have been solely directed at a review that failed to detect such a basic error.

John Isherwood.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

My opinions have been solely directed at a review that failed to detect such a basic error.

Had you bought a copy of the mag John?

14 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

All I'll say to that is that anyone who sets out to review a model SALMON without obtaining some form of drawing or basic dimensions is fair GAME in my book.

John Isherwood.

Well the fishmonger gave a glowing review of his Salmon! He didn’t need a drawing to know it wasn’t Game! Deer Deer!

Just to lighten the mood!

cheers

Mark

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

Does it take an error by the manufacturer of an RTR product to kick start a kit building revolution?

It may seem that way Shane. As humans, we are naturally lazy and I feel as if this has fuelled a ready to run reliance. It may be a controversial view but I find that there would be much more kit and scratchbuilding if there wasn't a reliance on ready to run products. 

I couldn't scratch build 20 months ago, but self taught and I'm there now. Its all about willing, something again that is down to human nature. Its why I personally don't buy the 'I cant scratchbuild' argument unless medical records dictate.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

45 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Had you bought a copy of the mag John?

Nope - I now buy no magazines except MRJ; for the sole reason that none of the others cover material that has not been done time and time again.

I used to buy them all - and I still have them, going back to 1960; but I can no longer find anything in them that inspires or informs me.

My comments have been made as a result of a posting here, to the effect that the review failed to mention the length issue.

John Isherwood.

Just now, AY Mod said:

Ok, so did you buy any Salmons?

Nope - I purchaed and built a considerable number of the Cambrian kits several years ago.

Failure to purchase a particular model, or the review that failed to identify its principal fault, does not preclude me having an opinion concerning the latter.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• Moderators

Failure to purchase a particular model, or the review that failed to identify its principal fault, does not preclude me having an opinion concerning the latter.

No, but I have stopped to consider how much you may have been affected by any of the issues in this topic. I think I have an answer I'm comfortable with.

42 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

It may seem that way Shane. As humans, we are naturally lazy and I feel as if this has fuelled a ready to run reliance. It may be a controversial view but I find that there would be much more kit and scratchbuilding if there wasn't a reliance on ready to run products. 

I couldn't scratch build 20 months ago, but self taught and I'm there now. Its all about willing, something again that is down to human nature. Its why I personally don't buy the 'I cant scratchbuild' argument unless medical records dictate.

I think you’re forgetting that some people don’t have the time for scratch building or kit building. Having a ready to run product available for those precious few hours of spare time is a god send so they can sit back and relax and run trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

In reality, reviews have to be carried out at the last minute because, with a couple of honourable exceptions, we don't to see a model before it hits the shops. In a window of 1-2 days and among lots of other work, the reviewer has to photograph, research (no, there's often no advance warning of what will arrive so that can't be pre-prepared) and write a couple of pages. All this is aimed at the average reader, not the "expert" who has lived their life for a particular prototype but couldn't tell you anything about any other prototype. Despite that, those same "experts" enjoy doling out the abuse (they were probably bullied as a child and enjoy dishing it out to people they think can't bite back) to someone who is doing the best they can, and probably doing enough for most of the people who buy the publication - something the "experts" consider themselves too important to do.

Recognizing that this is entirely off-topic for the Salmon.

If publishers are trying to claim reviews as 'content' that customers pay for, then I think its reasonable that the customers should expect a pretty detailed/accurate/useful assessment.

It slightly feels that there is some compromise accepted in the industry, so that manufactures get 'free' exposure (advertising), in return the publisher gets free low cost content, but if it's of limited accuracy (use? ) is the reader getting much value from that?

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

In 45 years of on-off railway modelling, I can honestly say I have never bought a model off the back of a review, I've read them, but I make up my own mind on stuff, after all a review is still one person's opinion.  And like backsides, we all have them, and sometimes they blow out unpleasant gas.  Ultimately though, what anyone else thinks should be irrelevant.

Piling in on magazine reviewers is utterly pointless unless you are someone who, like some of today's social media generation, can't exist unless some influencer has said it's cool.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

No, but I have stopped to consider how much you may have been affected by any of the issues in this topic. I think I have an answer I'm comfortable with.

The principal way that I have been affected by the issues in this topic is that I have not, for the past ten years or so, been able to find enjoyment, interest and inspiration in the mainstream model railway press. I used to enjoy my monthly binge of modelling inspiration, but the new generation of writers seem to have little practical knowledge or experience of actually making things.

Shame really,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

The principal way that I have been affected by the issues in this topic is that I have not, for the past ten years or so, been able to find enjoyment, interest and inspiration in the mainstream model railway press. I used to enjoy my monthly binge of modelling inspiration, but the new generation of writers seem to have little practical knowledge or experience of actually making things properly.

Shane really,

John Isherwood.

FIFY.

Mike.

4 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

I think you’re forgetting that some people don’t have the time for scratch building or kit building. Having a ready to run product available for those precious few hours of spare time is a god send so they can sit back and relax and run trains.

I'm not forgetting anything considering that I would not make such a comment without living in such a way you state. I built a highly detailed wagon from scratch whilst doing rotational shift work as a fitter, adding overtime and college work to that. It used to be chaotic, hot and extremely busy, and with the fatigue that used to set in it was very much a "do I really want to do it" attitude when an hour of spare time came about. It took me a full year from start to finish under such conditions, and if I can do it with an hour here and there... don't tell me it can't be done. There will always be ready to run products but that should not make people shy away from kits and scratch building like it is. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

the new generation of writers seem to have little practical knowledge or experience of actually making things.

With respect (which we all know is little when prefacing an alternative view) you're doing many people an insulting disservice, but you wouldn't be in a position to make such sweeping generalised assertions unless you had seen what newcomers actually achieve, but you can't have as you've not read the articles. 

QED.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Smolt – As they approach the time when Salmon are ready to migrate out to the sea, the parr lose their camouflage bars and undergo a process of physiological changes that allows them to survive a shift from freshwater to saltwater. At this point the salmon are called smolt.

Problem solved...

its simple

juvenile salmon... they just haven't matured yet.

They are made of mazak, Put them in the oven, smoke em.. they will grow.

:wacko:

Over cook it, use the bits for Salmon paste.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

With respect (which we all know is little when prefacing an alternative view) you're doing many people an insulting disservice, but you wouldn't be in a position to make such sweeping generalised assertions unless you had seen what newcomers actually achieve, but you can't have as you've not read the articles. 

QED.

I have not quite given up on the present day model railway press - I check out the latest issues on the magazines shelves, but it all seems to be so bland and 'samey'. I note from the response to my posts today that I am not alone in this view.

Whatever, it's approaching bedtime; tomorrow is another day; and the boxes of building kits never seemed so full. On that tack - I have recently been putting together Ratio railway building kits - something new for me; I am very impressed.

(Take that as a review if you wish)!

John Isherwood.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

As an interim update it's not been possible for Flangeway to be able to give a meaningful answer as the issue is still being investigated between Dapol and China so Flangeway are waiting on hold too. As has been evidenced further back in the topic they're happy to deal with customers' wishes on a case by case basis.

image.png.6ab5cf6c2a0f5275e30a80bbac161916.png  All is revealed.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1