Salmon Wagon updates

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, lyneux said:

It depends on all kinds of things but largely era, track type, whether it’s a mainline etc. The Flat bottomed panels at Whatley quarry have 26 per 60ft. Modern CWR can be up to 30 from what I’ve read.

Sizing the Salmon to a panel of Peco track would be a terrible way to scale a model! So I assume you mean it’s a fortunate side effect (for you) Phil rather than deliberate?

Guy

Agreed! The Bristol - Brum line was all on concos by 71 but there was wooden sleepered track elsewhere to be recovered....

3 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Not even HO, closer to 3mm/TT scale, if even that...

You've lost me.  These wagons, whilst short for 00, are longer than they would be if they had been scaled to H0.  They are therefore much larger than a Salmon would be in TT.

• Agree 3

Just now, Dungrange said:

You've lost me.  These wagons, whilst short for 00, are longer than they would be if they had been scaled to H0.  They are therefore much larger than a Salmon would be in TT.

The scaling is to no recognisable scale, easier way to say it. 

19 hours ago, pheaton said:

The Which advice is the consumer contracts regulations of 2014....but it incorrectly states 7 days so @Roy Langridge and @Dungrange are correct...

https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/ccicac-cancellation-rights

that is a legal representative site

and interestingly

another part of the witch? site confirms it

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

I will amended my post

Blair Witch?

• Funny 1

Picked up my 3 from the Royal Mail delivery office today, but won't even bother opening the box. Real shame this, but as I'm years away from a layout to run them on, not the end of the world. I do think that, given it's nearly a week since this broke, it's about time we heard something from Flangeway - either on their website, by e mail or on here. If they were to say, for example, that people who waived their right to a full refund now would be first in line for a corrected model in a year or so's time, and at the original price, I would be happy to take a chance and leave my money with them. The consumer rights clock is ticking, so if nothing is said soon, I might have to assume they aren't doing anything to sort this, and just return the models and ask for a full refund. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Might this be one solution?

A photo of a modification to DB996517

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/6678800503/in/faves-72022549@N03/ 

cheers

How long before we see a 'cut and shut' job to bring it up to scratch, like some did with the tubby Heljan 47? :D

Sad to hear this has happened though. It seems a lot of people were looking forward to these wagons. Hopefully the CAD work can still be put to some good use in future.

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NickL2008 said:

Interestingly Cambrian has now sold out of C27, the power of RMweb spreads wide :smileclear:

Not that I was planning on ordering any :keeporder:

NL

While I was never likely to be in the market for a £50 RTR model of something available as a kit for a fifth of the price, this has prompted me to get on with doing some modelling and finish off the 3 Cambrian kits I started building a long time ago.  So some positives at least! 

Not surprised that its caused a run on the kit, a nice bonus for Cambrian given the detrimental effect the arrival of a new RTR model usually has on the kit.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

While I was never likely to be in the market for a £50 RTR model of something available as a kit for a fifth of the price, this has prompted me to get on with doing some modelling and finish off the 3 Cambrian kits I started building a long time ago.  So some positives at least! 

Not surprised that its caused a run on the kit, a nice bonus for Cambrian given the detrimental effect the arrival of a new RTR model usually has on the kit.

Agreed Rich, Just about to put the final coat of varnish on my Catfish Ive been working on , lovely little kit and rewarding to finally see it in Dutch livery. Just got a salmon from Ebay, only one left by the looks of it, so more proper modelling to fllow. situations like this do help the kit market and continue sales, plus to model the "bashed" sides of an engineers wagon is easier than trying to do on a RTR wagon as you have more control over the final product

NL

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jonhall said:

I imagine Cambrian has been running down its stock in the expectation that their market would be decimated by RTR - although they have had ?7? years to do that.

Jon

Sold out at Cambrian themselves on both long and short wheelbase kits now, although I did manage to order some on Wednesday.

Roy 

50 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Sold out at Cambrian themselves on both long and short wheelbase kits now, although I did manage to order some on Wednesday.

Roy 

I had a chat with Mr Cambrian at a show in 2019 (remember those?)  When he said he makes new stock of kits in batches so if out of stock more will be along shortly.  Worth messaging him though  through website if a quantity are needed.

• RMweb Premium

Well I’m afraid as the calendar draws toward the end of the month with no current public acknowledgment from Footplate, I’m forced to make a decision myself on these, and unfortunately at £50 a wagon that decision is regrettably going to be to return them.

Whilst I note Mr York’s comments on them being aware, and investigating the issue, the clock runs down for us who received our pre-orders to have a legal right to return them, and it’s unfortunate that no words have come from them in regard to people who have taken delivery and awaiting a response.

I acknowledge a lot of effort went into producing these, and I’m more than happy to put my money behind small business ventures like this when the product appeals. However with no official response, and time being limited, I don’t want to be left with no legal rights to return, even though my hopes were to hear what the company proposed before asking for a return and money back.

Sad, I sincerely hope this doesn’t hurt them badly. Mistakes happen, and I don’t think anyone here, myself included wants to see the ‘little guy’ buried because of them.

Edited by Foden
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Sounds like a good decision to me, it's fine saying they're investigating the matter, but that shouldn't stop them in engaging with customers who've already spent money on pre orders. Let's face it, money is both hard earned and precious!

Disappointing to hear that they've chosen not to make some sort of announcement!

Cheers,

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Gutted.

Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

its wrong.

how sad, but at £50 a pop I can buy plenty of inaccurate railroad wagons for that price.

regrettably my 5 are going back as of now, I actually had plans on 3 more.

As others have said, the 14 day clock is running down, and no word. If there was a statement I could be sympathetic, statements dont require huge amounts of effort, and can provide reassurance but in its absence, Unfortunately decisions are made and they are wrapped up to go tomorrow.

i just hope the silence isnt just about running down the clock, as thats a bad omen!

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 6

Is this the biggest 'unforced error' since the Oxford LNER cattle wagon? (The Hornby Toad with a painted rather than moulded stanchion was an error of judgement.) They do look good, so I can imagine some folk suspending their disbelief and living with the error. Particularly if they were sold off at a fire sale price?

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Gutted.

Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

its wrong.

how sad, but at £50 a pop I can buy plenty of inaccurate railroad wagons for that price.

regrettably my 5 are going back as of now, I actually had plans on 3 more.

As others have said, the 14 day clock is running down, and no word. If there was a statement I could be sympathetic, statements dont require huge amounts of effort, and can provide reassurance but in its absence, Unfortunately decisions are made and they are wrapped up to go tomorrow.

i just hope the silence isnt just about running down the clock, as thats a bad omen!

Yes, gutted is the word I would use too. I didn’t want to make this decision but £150 is a lot of money in these difficult times and sadly mine are on their way to the Post Office shortly. I have been patient. A week is plenty time for them to assess the situation. Let me be clear, I’m not expecting a solution here and now. I am expecting some sort of acknowledgement either on their site or on here that they are aware and are working on a solution. I know this is an extremely difficult time for them. Very damaging. But for them to put out nothing is disappointing to say the least. I can’t risk losing a huge chunk of  my outlay. 
I will say, If they eventually get the Salmon to where it needs to be (and should have been), I won’t hesitate in purchasing some again. 

Edit: Before I sealed my returns box up, I thought I would give Footplate a ring just to confirm what they required paperwork wise. Had a very pleasant chat with a nice fella. I apologised that I would have to send them back due to the dimensions error, and he was absolutely fine with it.

As sad as I still am, after my conversation with them, I feel a little bit better knowing that Footplate won’t be terminally effected by this and that a solution is been sought to bring us a correct wagon in the fullness of time. 

Edited by 66738
  • Agree 5

Is it still Chinese shut down ? I’m wondering if enquiries have been made but no response.

Whatever the outcome, I’d expect an update here as they engaged before and are aware of the thread and comments.

Please don’t do a Hattons and just shut down the comms !

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Is it still Chinese shut down ? I’m wondering if enquiries have been made but no response.

Whatever the outcome, I’d expect an update here as they engaged before and are aware of the thread and comments.

Please don’t do a Hattons and just shut down the comms !

If The factory is shut down Rob that shouldn't stop some sort of update being made here.

Not as big a deal as the length, but looking at images on here again the chain box looks a little overscale as well.

In any case hopefully something will be said soon, but in this day and age where our hobby isn't getting any cheaper people expect to have the quality that their money is being spent on.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, 66738 said:

Edit: Before I sealed my returns box up, I thought I would give Footplate a ring just to confirm what they required paperwork wise. Had a very pleasant chat with a nice fella. I apologised that I would have to send them back due to the dimensions error, and he was absolutely fine with it.

As sad as I still am, after my conversation with them, I feel a little bit better knowing that Footplate won’t be terminally effected by this and that a solution is been sought to bring us a correct wagon in the fullness of time. 

May I ask what the response was in regard to what they need paperwork wise for the refund?

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, 66738 said:

Yes, gutted is the word I would use too. I didn’t want to make this decision but £150 is a lot of money in these difficult times and sadly mine are on their way to the Post Office shortly. I have been patient. A week is plenty time for them to assess the situation. Let me be clear, I’m not expecting a solution here and now. I am expecting some sort of acknowledgement either on their site or on here that they are aware and are working on a solution. I know this is an extremely difficult time for them. Very damaging. But for them to put out nothing is disappointing to say the least. I can’t risk losing a huge chunk of  my outlay. 
I will say, If they eventually get the Salmon to where it needs to be (and should have been), I won’t hesitate in purchasing some again. 

Agree, i’m whole heartedly onboard with the idea.

Some indication could retain my confidence.

unfortunately if its too short, you can’t just “stretch” the tooling.

someone had to sign that tooling off.

A fix is going to cost money.

Returns also cost money.

and so then its the silence... 

When you spend circa double its peer cost on a wagon, you expect accuracy.

A statement, brings responsibility, credibility and confidence, silence does not.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2