Speaker adhesive

Greengiant

Hello GG

I use Deluxe Materials R/C glue for such jobs. It dries clear and rubbery but takes a while to go off.

I also use it to seal the speaker into its enclosue as it's thick but will ooze into all the gaps such as the holes for the speaker wires. I seal everything up, then leave it overnight and re-assemble everything next day.

Maybe the sound is better using this rubbery glue method rather than the black tack stuff. I've had a speaker come loose using that and the sound was awful.

Good Luck

Andy

Hello GG

I use Deluxe Materials R/C glue for such jobs. It dries clear and rubbery but takes a while to go off.

I also use it to seal the speaker into its enclosue as it's thick but will ooze into all the gaps such as the holes for the speaker wires. I seal everything up, then leave it overnight and re-assemble everything next day.

Maybe the sound is better using this rubbery glue method rather than the black tack stuff. I've had a speaker come loose using that and the sound was awful.

Good Luck

Andy

Andy...is it thicker than PVA glue?

It's about the same consistency but it dries a lot thicker and is much more flexible than PVA.

It can stick just about anything and I've used it on wiring and electrical connections to protect them from trappages and strain.

I'd seems good for micro audio as its so flexible and it won't peel off unless you want to peel it off.

DSCF1194-1.jpg

Cheers

Andy

All of the 'tac' stuff we use including my favourite, BluTac has a temperature gradient. Cold makes it a lot less sticky and heat makes it runny.

It has one huge advantage. One can take the installation to bits to change it. I have yet to have Blu Tac fail in a seal-speaker-in-enclosure situation. I have had one bad experience with heat (pre sound) and a couple of speakers come adrift but not sound any different (except one which flipped over and sounded light years better!).

On balance, I have stopped using Blu Tac to attach the speaker to metal chassis and this glue looks ideal for that but on plastic, Blu Tac gets my vote. It is fairly important that the speaker is not rigidly mounted for best sound but this can be because the Blu Tac round the speaker sealing it to the enclosure is pretty flexible and the enclosure can then be rigidly mounted.

Remember that it is a lot cheaper to send the chip and speaker away for a re-blow or tweaking than it is to send the whole loco.

Archived