Jump to content
Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Locksley said:

 

Yeah, unfortunately I only got about 10 visitors over the entire 3 month trial despite even Alan at Modelu putting a post out with a link. You were my first and last customer :) 

 

Well, I'm honoured to have that distinction! I made a point of purchasing even though I don't have a 3D printer because I strongly support the idea of trading downloadable 3D print files the way that John Wiffen and others have developed the diwnloadable card kit. I do think that home 3D printers will become more common and younger modellers will make more use of them. The Scalescenes sales model means John is rewarded for his creative efforts without having to carry stock or worry about postage, and the purchaser gets instant access plus unlimited printouts of the purchased item.

 

Of course, as long as the downloaded files are not sold on, passed around or 'swapped' between buyers then the model works. It is dependent upon the vast majority of purchasers abiding by the rules, legally and morally. I think that is helped by the price point being quite low. (To be honest, I seriously think John's designs are worth far more than he charges!)

 

I have quite a library of Scalescenes models - some are multiple purchases to get different textures, others I may never use but have bought simply to support John's business so that he continues and develops those kits further down his list that I do want ... if more of your visitors had took that view, maybe you would have the boxfile detailing kit available by now!

 

I do hope you find a way to make your designs available - I shall continue to 'watch this space' and see what develops!

 

Steve S

#1 Customer, echorangemodels.co.uk !

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Locksley said:

 

Yeah, unfortunately I only got about 10 visitors over the entire 3 month trial despite even Alan at Modelu putting a post out with a link.

 

I'm pretty sure that I would have been one of those visitors after following this thread. Your use of 3D printing on this layout is nothing short of spectacular and this certainly was a driver for me to explore what designs you had on offer. I think the issue for me in purchasing anything however (if I recall correctly) was the designs would be too expensive, particularly given exchange (from AUD) and the subsequent delivery costs. Another option may be to look at Shapeways or Cults 3D as sales platforms as in these instances, customers have the possibility to link together purchases from multiple vendors. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 09:11, r12477 said:

 

I'm pretty sure that I would have been one of those visitors after following this thread. Your use of 3D printing on this layout is nothing short of spectacular and this certainly was a driver for me to explore what designs you had on offer. I think the issue for me in purchasing anything however (if I recall correctly) was the designs would be too expensive, particularly given exchange (from AUD) and the subsequent delivery costs. Another option may be to look at Shapeways or Cults 3D as sales platforms as in these instances, customers have the possibility to link together purchases from multiple vendors. 

 

You will see in my post that I purchased a 3D printing file, not a physical model as such. That file is on my harddrive and, when I finally get myself a 3D printer, will be able to be printed as many times as I like (for my own use). Alex offered the same kind of purchase experience as John Wiffen of Scalescenes; he is based in Australia, but I purchase in £sterling and my purchase takes seconds to download. No issues with cost of delivery etc.

 

I took the attitude that I liked what Alex was doing, and made a token purchase to show support despite no knowledge of 3D printing or even access to a 3D printer at that (or this) time. With any luck he may try again in the future.

 

Best wishes

 

Steve S

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Locksley, I’ve just had a great time been reading through your thread, and I hope you don’t mind a question about the early posts.

 

Looking at your buildings, can you remember how wide and deep your mortar was? I’m thinking of giving a 3D printed waiting room a go, so any advice you have would be really appreciated.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JCL said:

Hi @Locksley, I’ve just had a great time been reading through your thread, and I hope you don’t mind a question about the early posts.

 

Looking at your buildings, can you remember how wide and deep your mortar was? I’m thinking of giving a 3D printed waiting room a go, so any advice you have would be really appreciated.

 

Hi, the mortar courses are 0.2mm thick, and recessed 0.3mm on the chimney of the little hut. I think this varied slightly over the other buildings but was always at least that I'm pretty sure. I created a 1/76 scale house brick to begin with and saved it to my Tinkercad library so I was able to just stick that on any future buildings. I'd recommend placing a course of bricks and then grouping them together, duplicating and then moving up for the next course, then group both courses together to build the rest of the structure. There may be better ways of doing this stuff but it worked for me :) feel free to ask me any questions you have if/when they come up either here or in a PM!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Locksley said:

 

Hi, the mortar courses are 0.2mm thick, and recessed 0.3mm on the chimney of the little hut. I think this varied slightly over the other buildings but was always at least that I'm pretty sure. I created a 1/76 scale house brick to begin with and saved it to my Tinkercad library so I was able to just stick that on any future buildings. I'd recommend placing a course of bricks and then grouping them together, duplicating and then moving up for the next course, then group both courses together to build the rest of the structure. There may be better ways of doing this stuff but it worked for me :) feel free to ask me any questions you have if/when they come up either here or in a PM!

I use Sketchup and thats pretty much identical to the way I do brick courses. 

I played around with testing various mortar widths and found .2mm to be the optimal size that would print. The only difference from your technique  is that I ended up making the mortar depth the equivalent of a half a brick. I print my walls seperately and then assemble them and half a brick depth allows a tongue and groove style joint at the corners using the bricks which gives a realistic finish, and also creates a prototypical  set back for window and door openings.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alex

 

Just to say congratulations for having Frost's Mill appear in BRM magazine.

 

I was left wondering from your last post if you might be 3D printing your lamps? If so, would you print them in two halves in order to put wiring through the middle (assuming they are working?) Or would you simply thread wires to an LED/bulb through a central hole? Intrigued!!

 

Looking forward to further updates!

 

Cheers

 

Steve S

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for you replies. So I don’t clog your thread up with 3D printing questions, I’ll send you a PM tomorrow if that’s ok.

 

And in the Meantime, I’ll read my BRM :)

Edited by JCL
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi Alex

 

Just to say congratulations for having Frost's Mill appear in BRM magazine.

 

I was left wondering from your last post if you might be 3D printing your lamps? If so, would you print them in two halves in order to put wiring through the middle (assuming they are working?) Or would you simply thread wires to an LED/bulb through a central hole? Intrigued!!

 

Looking forward to further updates!

 

Cheers

 

Steve S

 

Thanks Steve! I completely forgot I'd sent a picture in lol, I take it it's in the Jan issue? I'm not really sure how I'm gonna do the lamps. I think printing in 2 halves would be difficult as the seam down the centre would need some significant cleaning, and each side is likely to suffer from some degree of warping given the nature of the resin. I may just go for some Express Models lamps as I used on Garnswllt as they're really rather excellent for the price. I was thinking of putting a wall lamp in under the canopy of the mill, and for that I am thinking of using the bent terminals of an LED for the main bracket and then printing a little lamp shade to sit on top.

 

4 hours ago, JCL said:

Thanks for you replies. So I don’t clog your thread up with 3D printing questions, I’ll send you a PM tomorrow if that’s ok.

 

And in the Meantime, I’ll read my BRM :)

 

No problem! Hope I can be of some help :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/12/2020 at 10:06, Locksley said:

 

Thanks Steve! I completely forgot I'd sent a picture in lol, I take it it's in the Jan issue?

 

Yeah, that's right - and it directs everyone to your user name, so I guess you might get some more traffic across this thread once readers start to investigate. The timing could have been better - like just as you launched your downloadable files website, for example!

 

Steve

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

PXL_20201017_132947329-01.jpeg.998895a447cf25e3947223ab906273d7.jpeg

 

I ended up getting the above pic shortlisted in Hornby's Photo of the Year 2020 competition a couple of weeks back which I was well chuffed with.

 

Unfortunately I didn't get 1st place, but I did get a very generous selection of goodies from Hornby, including one of their beautiful new Terriers, DCC fitted to boot! Not my usual loco but it's one I've been finding myself increasingly fond of since they came out so to win one is just amazing :)

 

PXL_20201215_131144755-01.jpeg.057258396abde6f78142980927fb1ed7.jpeg

 

PXL_20201215_134153091-01-01.jpeg.ceaf0359480d99c65f9791e8912c2b31.jpeg

 

PXL_20201215_134234280-01.jpeg.602c8dd83b9bf7225ab7158ad0987bc4.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks chaps :) I do have a hankering after building a larger layout with a station tbh, maybe the Terrier could be the start of something!

 

I've come to the conclusion after running it in that the Hornby decoder is absolute pants lol. Zimo decoder and stayalive ordered!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Started on the fascia board. Still needs a bit of work but it's looking the part!

 

EDIT: Just realised I posted this on the Frost's Mill thread instead of Garnswllt :fool: lol

 

PXL_20201216_203605622-01.jpeg.535fa381a928a4b2c369fae9251c3b9d.jpeg

Edited by Locksley
I'm an idiot
  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got myself a Dapol B4 after threatening to for months. £80ish quid from TMC was a bit too good to refuse :D looks quite at home on the quay side. This will be getting a Zimo chip, Modelu crew and some weathering in due course. I may even treat it to a set of 3d smokebox gubbins from Railtec as the current ones, apart from being flat, are just slightly skew-wiff.

 

PXL_20210114_132056262-01.jpeg.3a398659bdc9618d725a592ee42f8bcd.jpeg

 

PXL_20210114_132121518-01.jpeg.df34ddd2a5b1b755d1365a1ba2f7a55f.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Nice purchase! I bought the same one - because I preferred the round spectacles to those 'altered' versions with the middle 'portholes'! These are beautiful runners, too!

 

Steve S

 

Yeah it's a lovely loco, smooth as butter. Itching to get it weathered, and I've already placed an order for the Railtec decs and Modelu crew :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't resist making a start on the B4. It's had a good coat of my new favourite ever matt varnish ever ever (VMS Supplies), a good wet coat over the whole model gives the most perfect, smooth, dead matt finish you could ever hope for. It then got a few mists of dirt/soot, along with 3-links and the surprisingly common load of coal over the firebox. I had a spare Modelu fireman laying around so decided to use that, and I have a driver on the way to keep him company. All that's left really is to apply the Railtec smokebox number/shed code once they arrive, and give them a quick mist just to blend them in. 

 

PXL_20210114_222125801-01.jpeg.f0a3ca370650934f6c0e2c7b948f9a25.jpeg

 

PXL_20210114_222153265-01.jpeg.461a5597f6b63255b03b614cc29ff25a.jpeg

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Locksley said:

Couldn't resist making a start on the B4. It's had a good coat of my new favourite ever matt varnish ever ever (VMS Supplies), a good wet coat over the whole model gives the most perfect, smooth, dead matt finish you could ever hope for. 

 

 

Has to be said, that looks fantastic! Out of interest, is that out of a rattle can or done with an airbrush? Have you thought about offering your services to custom finish locos/stock? (Hint!!) 

 

Steve S

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...