• MattDitch changed the title to New video - Beamish Steam gala
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Victor & Vulcan reunion gala
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Victor & Vulcan reunion gala
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery: Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway "Everything Goes" gala
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery: Beamish - "Transport Collection Thursday" with Andrew Barclay "Glyder"
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway "Everything Goes" gala. 01/05/22
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New Video - Beamish Transport Collection, Thursday with Andrew Barclay "Glyder"
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Statfold Barn - "Sweet Indian Steam" 11/06/22
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Statfold Barn - "Sweet Indian Steam" 11/06/22

Here is a selection of images taken at the recent Hetton Colliery Railway 200 event. The event was to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the HCR. For the event, a number of related vehicles and components were returned to Hetton for the weekend. These included. Hawthorn Leslie No.14. The last steam locomotive to run on the HCR in Hetton. Parts from the Warden Law engine and, a restored replica Chaldron wagon. These exhibits were also joined by a number of vintage vehicles with a local connection.

The full gallery can be found here >> https://www.mattditch.photography/rail#/hetton-colliery-railway-200-180622/

DSC_0629.jpg?format=1500w

DSC_0621.jpg?format=1500w

DSC_0582.jpg?format=1500w

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Hetton Colliery Railway 200 event
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Hetton Colliery Railway 200 event
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Chester-Le-Street Steam and Vintage Fair 10/07/22
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Exploring the narrow gauge railways of Honister Slate Mine
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I posted anything new. I've had a bit of a hiatus from photography for personal reasons. But, I'm back now! The following photos were taken on Saturday at the Aln Valley Railway near Alwnick in Northumberland. The loco in steam was Lambton cabbed Austerity No.60 built by Hunslet. 

The full gallery can be found here

DSC_0143.jpg?format=1500w

DSC_0027.jpg?format=1500w

• MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Bank holiday steam on the Aln Valley Railway
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - Bank holiday steam on the Aln Valley Railway
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Bank holiday steam on the Tanfield Railway 28/08/22
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Beamish Transport Gala. 10/09/22

"Illingworth” at the North Tyneside Steam Railway 18/09/22

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST “Illingworth” is currently visiting the railway from its current home, The Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway in Yorkshire. “Illingworth” was built in 1916 for use at the Ministry of Munitions at Gretna Green, during the first world war.

In 1922, it was sold to Bradford Corporation for use on the Nidd Valley Light Railway, where it was initially named “Mitchell”. From 1930 it was named “Illingworth” after William Illingworth, who opened the Nidd Valley Water Supply Scheme.

The engine was sold again in 1936 to Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd who renamed the engine “Harold”. It was used in the construction of Ebbw Vale steelworks in Wale. 4 years later in 1940 it was again sold, this time to Mowlem’s who renamed it “Swynnerton”. Following sale to them, the locomotive was used at a variety of industrial locations. Including, Workington breakwater project and Mowlem’s Braehead power station. In 1957 the locomotive was sent for scrap. But, was thankfully saved.

The loco returned to steam in 2017 once again named “Illingworth”. In 2022 the locomotive was once again renamed “Seacole/Nightingale” after two famous Nurses. The engine is on loan to the North Tyneside Steam Railway till the new year.

Full Gallery >> https://www.mattditch.photography/rail#/llingworth-at-the-north-tyneside-steam-railway-180922/

DSC_0646.jpg?format=1500w

DSC_0627.jpg?format=1500w

• MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - "Illingworth” at the North Tyneside Steam Railway 18/09/22
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - NYMR steam gala 2022
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - NYMR steam gala 2022
  • 3 weeks later...

New Video - Derwent valley railway, part 1 - Swalwell to Rowlands Gill.

A video exploring the Derwent valley railway between Swalwell and Rowlands Gill, near Newcastle. The Derwent valley railway was opened as an extension to the Lanchester Valley Railway (previously covered on this channel). The railway opened in 1867, closed to passengers in 1953 and finally closed completely in 1963. Today the full route is now a footpath.

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to New Video - Derwent valley railway, part 1 - Swalwell to Rowlands Gill.
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be focussing on disused railways over the winter months. I already have some videos recorded and some galleries nearly ready to go. Over the summer I explored, what I could of the Cockermouth - Keswick section of the CK&PR. For those in the know. A lot of this section of the CK&PR was lost under the A66. But, there are still a lot of remains and a few surprises. The full gallery can be found here. But in the meantime, here are a few tasters....

The Orient Express at Bassenthwaite lake

DSC_0088.jpg?format=1500w

Farm level crossing near Braithwaite

DSC_0180.jpg?format=1500w

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to New gallery - Exploring the Cockermouth - Keswick section of the CK&PR
  • 2 weeks later...

New Video - The Derwent valley railway. Part 2 Rowlands Gill to Blackhill.

Part two of my video series on the Derwent Valley Railway. This part covers the section from Rowlands Gill to Blackhill. Also featured is Lintz Green station, the site of an unsolved murder in 1911.

• MattDitch changed the title to New Video - The Derwent valley railway. Part 2 Rowlands Gill to Blackhill
  • 2 weeks later...