RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

3 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Fragonset 33103 was bolted to it for a period in the mid-2000s, this is how I wanted to model it so hoping the "turquoise green"* will be announced. I note pre-orders at the cheaper price are until the end of July, what happens if we get there and no turquoise, but it is later announced? Will it have a cheaper price for a time too?

gravesend

*It's not turquoise, but how should this permeation be best described?

Just realised that there was a more turquoise green later, so what is this variant? The same Brunswick green but with no SR headcodes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Just realised that there was a more turquoise green later, so what is this variant? The same Brunswick green but with no SR headcodes?

This was its initial look when it was reinstated and used by Fragonset, a traditional shade of green, No idea of the actual shade though. It then got the jade or whatever when it was refurbished and lost the Southern fittings. Then back to the traditional green again.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/06/2020 at 18:47, russ p said:

As Simon says ETS is needed if it is to be driven from the saloon. 

Its had a 47 on it a few times with an adaptor jumper 

I know my love 47790 ran with caroline and so thats what i mostly will run with mine if i get one.Also a ROG 47 ran with it and 47818.

On 02/06/2020 at 19:31, SouthernMafia said:

I note pre-orders at the cheaper price are until the end of July

Just checked revolutions website and it says 31/8/2020.

image.png.c562c6dd32bdf12a73e7af7f4b296d38.png

On 07/06/2020 at 04:05, MrJack47790 said:

I know my love 47790 ran with caroline and so thats what i mostly will run with mine if i get one.Also a ROG 47 ran with it and 47818.

Just checked revolutions website and it says 31/8/2020.

image.png.c562c6dd32bdf12a73e7af7f4b296d38.png

Sorry you are of course correct I don't know why I put July when I knew it was August !

• RMweb Gold

Blue & Grey one ordered. Will look perfect on my layout.

Just one query, has there been a decision made on what decoder socket will be in it? I'm assuming at least 21-pin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2020 at 21:09, Butler Henderson said:

Found on Flickr  68025 'Superb' + inspection saloon 'Caroline' at Preston on 2Z02 09:28 Carlisle Kingmoor TMD - Preston via the Cumbrian Coast on 15/06/16.

68025 2Z02 Preston

Don’t shoot me down if I’m wrong but don’t the 68’s have unique MU system and can only work with each other, 88’s and the Chiltern Mk3 sets?  If that’s the case, surely the 68 would have hauled it all the way?

Edited by jools1959
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

Don’t shoot me down if I’m wrong but don’t the 68’s have unique MU system and can only work with each other and 88’s?  If that’s the case, surely the 68 would have hauled it all the way?

Yes and yes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Chiltern Mk3 sets

I thought I read in the rail guide that only the Chiltern sets can work with the Mk3s. Could be wrong though. Especially since it also doesn't mention 033-34 being prepared for Mk5 work so it has an error with respect to 68s anyway

Obviously 68019-34 can work with Mk5s too but not relevant to the livery, time or loco in this pic.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I thought I read in the rail guide that only the Chiltern sets can work with the Mk3s. Could be wrong though. Especially since it also doesn't mention 033-34 being prepared for Mk5 work so it has an error with respect to 68s anyway

Obviously 68019-34 can work with Mk5s too but not relevant to the livery, time or loco in this pic.

Slap my wrists, I forgot the Mk5’s :P

• Funny 1

On 24/06/2020 at 23:32, jools1959 said:

Don’t shoot me down if I’m wrong but don’t the 68’s have unique MU system and can only work with each other, 88’s and the Chiltern Mk3 sets?  If that’s the case, surely the 68 would have hauled it all the way?

:(So cannot run it with my DRS 68 as a push pull set on an end to end layout. Looks like a DRS 37 is needed then and as IMO large logo blue is the only livery for a 37  do i go for Bachmanns Vulcan set or Accurscales Lord HInton?

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

do i go for Bachmanns Vulcan set or Accurscales Lord HInton?

Lol do you really need to think about that, I think you know the answer to that question...the Bachmann of course :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Unless you are rather deft with a soldering iron to make the lights independant on the 37 its a bit of a no brainer to wait for the Accurascale one. Pushing the coach along with the loco's headlights on will look a tad odd :P

Edited by Kaput

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

:(So cannot run it with my DRS 68 as a push pull set on an end to end layout. Looks like a DRS 37 is needed then and as IMO large logo blue is the only livery for a 37  do i go for Bachmanns Vulcan set or Accurscales Lord HInton?

Huh? I would have thought models can run with any model, all seem to have NEM couplings?

Or you mean an actual Vossloh/Stadler 68? Seeing as they are fitted with DRS multi working system - which is based on bluestar. It is as simple as using a socket adaptor to hook up a bluestar socket with a DRS 68(88) cable. The 68/88s can multiwork with DRS 37/0, 37/4, 37/6, 20/3. (Just not the 66s, as these are fitted with AAR - well OK 68008-015 could). Remember, the 68s have hauled Mk2Fs which are bluestar socket and wired on both the East Anglia Short Set and up in Scotland on the Fife Circle...Oh and not forgetting most NR test train stock on bluestar. The Vossloh/Stadler 68 is a very versatile locomotive! 

Not my pics, but both locos powering.

68004 / 37422 / Caroline / 37425

68003 & 37716 Hatfield & Stainforth

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I have both :D:D:D, admittedly 37409 is on order :P

9 hours ago, 159220 said:

Huh? I would have thought models can run with any model, all seem to have NEM couplings?

Or you mean an actual Vossloh/Stadler 68? 

Yes but can a 68 be controlled by Caroline, the impression I had was that a 68 can pull it but for it be propelled it needed to have a 37?

Re the query on what LL 37 obviously the Accurscale one should be the better although Bachmanns liveries are usually top notch and difficult to beat, and it is available on its own around £30 cheaper than the Accurscale one will be from Cheltenham.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Kaput said:

Unless you are rather deft with a soldering iron to make the lights independant on the 37 its a bit of a no brainer to wait for the Accurascale one. Pushing the coach along with the loco's headlights on will look a tad odd :P

Simple fix.

Use a piece of masking tape across the contacts between chassis and body to isolate the lights at one end of loco.

Couple that end to Caroline.

Sorted.

On 01/07/2020 at 23:16, 159220 said:

Or you mean an actual Vossloh/Stadler 68? Seeing as they are fitted with DRS multi working system - which is based on bluestar. It is as simple as using a socket adaptor to hook up a bluestar socket with a DRS 68(88) cable. The 68/88s can multiwork with DRS 37/0, 37/4, 37/6, 20/3. (Just not the 66s, as these are fitted with AAR - well OK 68008-015 could).

Morning, it'd be interesting to know where you've heard this from?

It's the first time I've heard it, and checking with a DRS driver there is no way a 68 can multi with the heritage DRS fleet as the 68 doesn't use air pressure to control the engine. Blue star, green circle and DRS multi are all basically the same, but with different heads. They also use a small white headed pipe on the buffer beam for the engine regulating air. This pipe is not on a 68, they use the standard European multi working system.

From other pics and videos online, that RHTT combo 68/37 are not in multi. No cables between either loco and the wagons. The rear 37 on the Caroline lash-up will be idling or providing ETH. 

As Blue Star, Green Circle and DRS are all fundamentally the same, the adaptor cable allows any such fitted ETH equipped loco to work with Caroline. ROG have used a 47, a variation from the usual DRS traction 

47812 20170625 Biggleswade

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 23:16, 159220 said:

Or you mean an actual Vossloh/Stadler 68? Seeing as they are fitted with DRS multi working system - which is based on bluestar. It is as simple as using a socket adaptor to hook up a bluestar socket with a DRS 68(88) cable. The 68/88s can multiwork with DRS 37/0, 37/4, 37/6, 20/3. (Just not the 66s, as these are fitted with AAR - well OK 68008-015 could). Remember, the 68s have hauled Mk2Fs which are bluestar socket and wired on both the East Anglia Short Set and up in Scotland on the Fife Circle...Oh and not forgetting most NR test train stock on bluestar. The Vossloh/Stadler 68 is a very versatile locomotive! 

Not my pics, but both locos powering.

68004 / 37422 / Caroline / 37425

I thought that the 68s could only MU fully with another 68 or 88? (With some limitations such as the 68 cannot control the 88 pantograph and changeover from electric to diesel.

The usual multi connector an a 68 is the "comms" cable, plugged into the red sockets just below the cab window.

68025 88002 Crewe

Is there a pic showing the adapter cable from a 68 to blue star? (If not, then for the 68 top n tail set on Anglia and NwR use - is there a similar comms cable through the coaches?)

The Chiltern 68s (and 68008/009) are AAR fitted with limited functions as they can be controlled from a MK3 DVT, but cannot multi with a 66/67 AFAIIA.

The AAR socket is clearly visible on the buffer beam - to the left of the ETS connector. 

I believe the DRS system fitted to 37s is a modified blue start using s different pin arrangement and pug/socket and all it requires is an adapter to work with blue star- and hence Caroline - which is fitted with blue star control stands.

As for the top pic - just because both locos are "powering", it doesn't prove that they are in multi - for the pic of the 68/37/Caroline/37, it is likely that the rear 37 was providing ETS power to Caroline.

I have yet to see a 68 working in full multi with anything other than a 68/88 - but would love to find out otherwise.

• Like 1