Modern Colour Light Signal Options

Can anyone name some brands of colour light signals?

I know there's Eckon and Berko but just working out what would be better for my needs.

I did think about the Train Tech ones but they're quite a lot of money.  I think I could do the same for less using some control boards and such.  Plus, my layout basics are already built so [the Train Tech] signals would take a lot of work to fit plush with the baseboard.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

On 10/06/2020 at 16:28, njee20 said:

Layouts 4U are just generic Chinese ones, I'd just buy them from AliExpress.

Good lord they are terrible. 

Eckon, Berco, Train Tech are good, choice of DCC or normal control, if you want something special then Absolute Aspects is the place to go. Not cheap but if you're doing prototype signalling a must. I need a couple of 3 aspect with Position Light and route indicator. 

• RMweb Gold

Eckon signals are really good but much better if you just buy the heads and fit turn to your own scratchbuilt posts. Pretty easy to make from brass tube and they look so much better than the eckon posts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to complete the picture can I remind people of CR signals (https://www.crsignals.com/) whom I have used in the past.  No connection just a satisfied customer.  Their prices are reasonable and (they used to?) will build to requirements - e.g. PLS and a JI on a 3 aspect signal - but NOT SI's, if you need those the ONLY supplier is Absolute aspects for whom you need deep pockets.  Their contact details are on their web page. You DO need to provide DCC controllers as they are straight DC lights.  I used Train-Tech SC1 and 2 successfully on their kit.

Edited by imt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, imt said:

Just to complete the picture can I remind people of CR signals (https://www.crsignals.com/) whom I have used in the past.  No connection just a satisfied customer.  Their prices are reasonable and (they used to?) will build to requirements - e.g. PLS and a JI on a 3 aspect signal - but NOT SI's, if you need those the ONLY supplier is Absolute aspects for whom you need deep pockets.  Their contact details are on their web page. You DO need to provide DCC controllers as they are straight DC lights.  I used Train-Tech SC1 and 2 successfully on their kit.

You can get SI's from Train Tech and other places, but Absolute Aspect are the only ones that do an SI which can display more than one indication.

Simon

6 hours ago, imt said:

tell me about it, I need 5x 3 aspect colour lights with Route indicators and PLs.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2020 at 16:05, St. Simon said:

You can get SI's from Train Tech and other places, but Absolute Aspect are the only ones that do an SI which can display more than one indication.

Indeed, and quite why you would want an SI with only one indication I cannot think.  I expect someone will tell me.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2020 at 16:37, Dave-5-5-7 said:

tell me about it, I need 5x 3 aspect colour lights with Route indicators and PLs.

It's the PLs that are the problem.  Train tech with cover most (though not all) of your needs IF you can live with a GPL at the foot of the signal.  The Train-Tech ones are quite neat, but you couldn't stick them onto a post as they have a long underbaseboard "tails" for the connections/DCC gubbins.  CR Signals USED to make things up for you but their Facebook page seems to indicate that they are running down and not doing much any more, which is a shame.  I don't have the eyesight or manual dexterity to do what is needed, nor the hundreds of pounds to buy the deluxe models, so I used what I could get. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, imt said:

Indeed, and quite why you would want an SI with only one indication I cannot think.  I expect someone will tell me.

Hi,

There are situations where you have an SI with only one indication.

If you have a signal where one route has to use an SI (into a terminal platform usually), but all the other routes are not allowed to use an SI (high speed, flashing aspect etc), then an SI with one indication  can be used just for the one route.

Simon

5 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

This use of SI is confusing me now, are we talking of Theatre style Route Indicators or Stencil indicators?

Hi,

We are talking about a Standard Route Indicator, or ‘Standard Indicator’ (SI) , the official name for a ‘Theatre’ Indicator.

Stencil Indicators are a specific type of Miniature Route Indicator (MI). All Stencil Indicators are MIs, but not all MIs are Stencil Indicators. 

Simon

• 1 year later...

does anyone know if train tech signals will work with Absolute aspects automatically train tech signals before multiple routes cannot show different routes e.g. theater boxes will only display one number If I bought mainly TT but then use a Absolute aspects signal where I need a signal with more routes what is the connectivity between the two companies signals like? Will the Absolute signal controlled by a switch before a junction/ station work with train tech automatic ones? So like the train tech you can connect them all together by a wire makes them all work together in sequence e.g. automatic. I am hoping the two companies signals work together having say 3 x train tech automatic and then the absolute aspect controlled signal with feather or theater box operated by a switch. If i pull off the absolute controlled signal to display a single yellow will the next signal a train tech display a double yellow, same as if the absolute signal controlled signal was at danger would the train tech automatic display a single yellow? 

• 1 year later...