Sanity check - plux22 adapter wiring

Bucoops

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

Please can someone double check this for me?

I believe that decoders are meant to fit from the other side of this board? On the bottom it does say decoder side. 

The pad labelling is a bit weird - the clk gnd fl etc. Refer to the pads on the far right.

The seller is insisting the decoder fits from the top but I think it is supposed to fit from the bottom (but the zimo decoder I have the pins aren't long enough).

20200624_134405.jpg.110d11db3dcb88f51a60c6ac800b65fc.jpg

Plux22 connector details from DCCWiki

Plux22 details

Edited by Bucoops
add plux conenctor info

You are correct.

The decoder is intended to fit from the side not shown in your photo. That is, from the side labelled 'decoder side'.

You should see that the Pin 11 position (index) is blocked to ensure correct orientation.

The pins on ZIMO Plux decoders are normally long enought to fit 'though the board' like this but there have been some earlier batches which have come to light recently which have shorter pins.

ZIMO are aware of the problem this may cause in these circumstances and all recent production have the correct specification pins.

There is a work-around for the decoder you have, if you are brave enough. I'm not encouraging you to attempt this but it does work!

Carefully remove/cut away the black plastic at the base of the decoder's plug, This will give the additional length required.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pauliebanger said:

You are correct.

The decoder is intended to fit from the side not shown in your photo. That is, from the side labelled 'decoder side'.

You should see that the Pin 11 position (index) is blocked to ensure correct orientation.

The pins on ZIMO Plux decoders are normally long enought to fit 'though the board' like this but there have been some earlier batches which have come to light recently which have shorter pins.

ZIMO are aware of the problem this may cause in these circumstances and all recent production have the correct specification pins.

There is a work-around for the decoder you have, if you are brave enough. I'm not encouraging you to attempt this but it does work!

Carefully remove/cut away the black plastic at the base of the decoder's plug, This will give the additional length required.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for confirming I've not lost the plot (a miracle!) - interesting that you say Zimo have changed the pins now as when I checked the spec for Plux22 it says 3-4mm. I measured these at 3.1 so are within spec. I thought I only bought the decoders a few months back but just checked and it was May 2019. Time flies...

I was really expecting the cheap Chinese boards to be the issue (These are LaisDCC).

I did wonder about either removing the plastic pin holder or even thinning the PCB on the decoder size in the area the connector fits. I'm more keen to modify the board as that's cheaper than the decoder, however if the pin housing slides off I may try thinning that. I don't think it needs much.

Thanks again :)

• RMweb Gold

In the end I decided to thin down the board as gentle persuasion of the pin separation bit on the decoder didn't budge it. I also had to dimple the index point as it's not cut flush with the plastic. I only needed to take off about 0.5mm.

1475900481_Plux22socketmod-forZimodecoder-thinPCBanddimpleindexpoint.jpg.2e0f750308e349a751b01c231e07bd2d.jpg

• Like 1