Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Treating a baseboard

Hi

I've finished constructing my baseboard (I'm rubbish at woodwork & this is my first attempt so go easy!) and I was wondering if I should "treat" the wood before undercoating it? Reason I ask is that I'm not going to get around to undercoating it for a good few months and I don't want the wood to get damaged.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks

*Apologies for the bad photo (I was working late into the night!)

post-9379-127460216232_thumb.jpg

@Pete the Elaner thanks for the reply.

I wasn't too sure if a layer of paint would be sufficient projection for the wood? I had in my mind: treatment, then undercoat. But if I can go straight to undercoat then great!

Works for household wood doesn't it? If it is anything like car paint, the primer provides virtually all the protection & the undercoat/top coat provide the finish.

Knots tend to bleed if not sealed with knotting solution although this dries quite quickly so shuldn't really hold you up.

There are a lot of layouts 'out there' running without problems on untreated baseboards so you would be giving yours a better start than these.

Archived