To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Drakelow: S scale

ianb3174

• 4 weeks later...

A short train appears on the test track. There is potential for more, except in my quest for a tidy(ish) workspace I've squirrelled parts away and completely forgotten where. I'm having a clear out of accumulated stuff of other gauges soon so my hidden stuff should show up. 

The upshot of the clearout will be to realise more space and a significant (to me) increase in railway space. I won't have to cram it into 1.5 x 0.5m. The new plans involve 3x 1.2 x 0.6m boards with A frame legs so can be assembled elsewhere in the house. They'll be small enough to work on individually and feature all those mod cons like alignment dowels, holes for wiring runs & depth for servo turnout operation.

Obviously the biggest plus in all this is that I get to design more, and probably ram the space with track at all angles. 

Existing Drakelow above will feature in some fashion, either incorporated or relaid on the new boards. Off to scribble some ideas on the pavement in chalk.

IMG_2053.jpg

Edited by ianb3174
Replacing lost image
  • Like 5

It will likely be a development of the core Drakelow idea of a former quarry branch co-opted by the MoD during wartime to store munitions in the caves/armament production etc.

I'd love to model a whole station (prototype) and have planned out several over the last 12 months as a test. Holborn Viaduct, Millwall junction, North Greenwich, North Woolwich etc, basically lots of Victorian East London locations. Sadly all too big to do properly in the space available and/or requiring lots of stock to do it justice. 

I've thought about sticking to one company, usually defaulting to LNWR as it's in our family, and spent last night trying to get Wednesbury Town station to fit into the Templot pint pot (it didn't). 

I will always like the uniqueness of lines like the Bishops Castle Railway and the Shropshire and Montgomery along with other farmers lines heading nowhere important with a four wheel coach and a couple of vans. 

What it won't be is a quadruple mainline station on two levels with a bus station.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

An S-scale Blackwall terminus would make a fine small layout, and includes a handy bridge view break and backscene in that ginormous station building.

"Those frequent and quite empty trains of the Blackwall Railway ran from a special platform at Fenchurch Street. I remember them. Like stagecoaches they rumbled past East End chimney pots, wharves and shipping stopping at empty black stations till they came to a final halt at Blackwall station...When one emerged there, there was nothing to see beyond it but a cobbled quay and a vast stretch of wind whipped water..."

-John Betjeman

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1