KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Will it have removable oil bath covers?  The fitters got so fed up of fiddling with the valve gear, and the oil bath got so hot, that the prototype was usually run without the covers, especially towards the end. Obviously this meant the oil became full of abrasive dirt but, by then, most of British Railways' staff just wanted it to die as soon as possible.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This one has put me in a quandary. I am a huge admirer of Oliver Bulleid and would love a model of a Leader. However I'm not a fan of paying up front, more so if we do not first have a clear idea of the product we will get. If the Leader was being done by Accurascale or Rapido I'd be a lot more comfortable if they asked to pay up front as I have faith in their commitment to getting things right, but so far KR do not seem to be working to anything like the same standards as those companies. That's not to say they won't get the Leader very right, it's just much more uncertain than if it was a company like Rapido doing it. The problem is that it is such a niche model that after KR does it I'll be amazed if anyone else does (though in the past we have seen multiple models of the LMS twins, FIA, Hattons/Dapol and Bachmann, and Hornby seem determined to press on with a model of Lion), so I think if I want one it has to be KR. On balance, seeing that Rails are selling the Fell (another model I really want) I'm minded to take a chance and go through Rails.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

This one has put me in a quandary. I am a huge admirer of Oliver Bulleid and would love a model of a Leader. However I'm not a fan of paying up front, more so if we do not first have a clear idea of the product we will get. If the Leader was being done by Accurascale or Rapido I'd be a lot more comfortable if they asked to pay up front as I have faith in their commitment to getting things right, but so far KR do not seem to be working to anything like the same standards as those companies. That's not to say they won't get the Leader very right, it's just much more uncertain than if it was a company like Rapido doing it. The problem is that it is such a niche model that after KR does it I'll be amazed if anyone else does (though in the past we have seen multiple models of the LMS twins, FIA, Hattons/Dapol and Bachmann, and Hornby seem determined to press on with a model of Lion), so I think if I want one it has to be KR. On balance, seeing that Rails are selling the Fell (another model I really want) I'm minded to take a chance and go through Rails.

The GT3 and Consett wagons have both been very well received. The slight issues with GT3 have been rectified at their cost by producing correct bogie frames and sending at their own cost. I think that proves beyond a reasonable doubt they are a trustable company. 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

The GT3 and Consett wagons have both been very well received. The slight issues with GT3 have been rectified at their cost by producing correct bogie frames and sending at their own cost. I think that proves beyond a reasonable doubt they are a trustable company. 

It's not that I consider them untrustworthy in the business relationship sense, rather if I look at the standard of research and product development practiced by Rapido and Accurascale they seem a definite step above KR. If we are asked to pay up front on trust that is an important consideration. But, as I accept, if we want a RTR Leader then I think this is it, and I do give KR credit for doing models like the Fell and Leader 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I do give KR credit for doing models like the Fell.

There are many waiting to see just what it is they have ordered as comments from KR senior indicate it is a mish mash of several body alterations.  Somewhat of a 'Franken Fell' 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 months later...

Not particularly model related, but at 02.50am I received a thank you for your order email... for Leader which was placed in February 2021, maybe a glitch in the system? Did anyone else get one, or maybe related to website change over... not that I have seen any updates on Leader for a while, so certainly not an update that they have updated the tooling due to some errors 😄

• RMweb Premium

I will wait to see how it turns out and if they make a good job of it order from Rails. If it ends up like the Fell I won't be missing much. If they do a good job and I can get it from Rails great, if they do a good job and I miss out then c'est la vie. Hardly the end of the world, just leaves more of the model train slush fund to head eastward to the fine people of Tenshodo, Tomix, Kato, Aurora, ,Z18 etc. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2022 at 09:34, 21C123 said:

Morning 

yes I got a leader email at 8:48 NZ time dated 18 February 2021…..

Roger

Me too!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris Chewter said:

Leader on display at the Great Electric Train Show exhibition earlier today. 

70760077-6982-4455-ADFF-E0CFC2126BE1.jpeg.f78782a29ca7d5f54c13f100029325dd.jpeg

E5A4C311-D113-4355-9F91-BED196FFF9C1.jpeg.d13b494ec2fe7cee1ae1abd63740196f.jpeg

Unfortunately looks like the same EP as first shown at Ally Pally... 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Unfortunately looks like the same EP as first shown at Ally Pally... 

Yeah it is the very same one. I did have a chat with Michael about the leader and the 4dd about certain things and he said that they've taken on board what they've heard and things like windows etc are all being changed  the 4dd is being re done to get the roof shape correct etc. Hoping to have a sample at Warley for the leader. I've adjed about switchable tail lights etc so hopefully they can be added. It's a very weighty model aswell as Micheal let me hold it. Roll on Warley 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, gary_lner said:

Yeah it is the very same one. I did have a chat with Michael about the leader and the 4dd about certain things and he said that they've taken on board what they've heard and things like windows etc are all being changed  the 4dd is being re done to get the roof shape correct etc. Hoping to have a sample at Warley for the leader. I've adjed about switchable tail lights etc so hopefully they can be added. It's a very weighty model aswell as Micheal let me hold it. Roll on Warley 

Well I can only hope they have listened as constructive information provided in good faith wasn't all that politely received, 

I am intrigued by you comment about "switchable tail lights" as neither the Leader or 4DD had such. 
The Leader only had individually switchable white lamp positions for the SR Engine Headsignals. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Well I can only hope they have listened as constructive information provided in good faith wasn't all that politely received, 

I am intrigued by you comment about "switchable tail lights" as neither the Leader or 4DD had such. 
The Leader only had individually switchable white lamp positions for the SR Engine Headsignals. 

Hi Graham That's definitely my mistake then as I was talking to Michael about the lack of a switch on the GT3 and fell and if future models will have that ability. But if the 4DD and leader dont have them rhen nothing to worry about.

What would the leader have if running light engine? 

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Hi Graham That's definitely my mistake then as I was talking to Michael about the lack of a switch on the GT3 and fell and if future models will have that ability. But if the 4DD and leader dont have them rhen nothing to worry about.

What would the leader have if running light engine? 

A proper tail lamp.... Using built in tail lamps wasn't permitted until the late 70's at the earliest (mainly because they are difficult to see from the signalbox in daylight... Some of the 37's wandering around with their original tail lamps still are......)

Andy G

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

... I am intrigued by you comment about "switchable tail lights" as neither the Leader or 4DD had such. ...

No doubt covered in the appropriate DD thread, but those units did end up with roller blind headcodes so switchable from white to red LED illumination would be appropriate - showing a code on the white but not on the red could be problematic in this scale, though !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Somebody must have some money f they are going to retool the 4DD as it really mean starting from scratch to get it right.  Or will it be sort of the 'tooling adjustments' they talked about for the Fell?

• Agree 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

I guess that the Leader is still the same one from March 2022... which was the first EP, 4DD looks slightly better.. Thanks for the pictures.

Got to admit the roof on the 4DD isnt as bad as first thought… i delibrately took the picture of leader / 4 DD to compare roof profiles.

Leader sits very high on its bogies so both must be at gauge limits,

• Like 2