EFE Rail launches Austerities and J94 in 00

Steamport Southport

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 16:21, Steamport Southport said:

Good thing about these will be they will come under Bachmann's warranty.

From the leaflet

Remember a certain someone who virtually fobbed you off when asking about warranty saying it was up to the retailer?

Jason

That leads into something else I'm hoping for with these models resurfacing. Hopefully Bachmann will have some availability of spares, they've usually been able to source what I've needed in the past. So with a bit of luck the improved motors/PCB will be obtainable through the usual channels and little to no modification will be needed to retrofit to the DJM releases.

On a side note, I remember asking said certain someone about spares at an exhibition once and getting a rather rude response about proper controllers. He went a bit silent when I showed video footage of one of his preferred controllers inducing special steam effects into one of his models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I was looking at the pictures of the prototype that I posted in my 70s Industrial Steam thread and I was thinking the exact same thing. I bet that the only day that it was clean was the day that it rolled out of the workshop.

One industrial site I worked at had a small shunter which was yellow once, but not for long. Mind you it was so unreliable that almost daily fitters' attention with attendant greasy mitts provided an ideal environment for a quick aging job.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2020 at 10:10, adb968008 said:
On 07/08/2020 at 18:22, 'CHARD said:

I'm glad they've moved to cordless, I always found the flex a bit limiting.

Were heading the right direction, if what follows is wireless (charging and operation), were one giant leap towards dead rail.

My prediction is that dead rail, or rather live rail but not supplying current to motors, is the way to go in the future.  I envisage on board power supply from rechargeable batteries charged at NFC docking points, powering axle motors, ideally in which the motor shaft is the axle, but if slow enough running cannot be achieved by this method then by gear reduced axle hung motors.  Each axle of a locomotive or multiple unit would be powered, and there would be no reason why small motors on rolling stock could not be used to increase a loco's apparent haulage.  Control is achieved either electronically or by miniature servos from the track current or by NFC, the latter enabling pickups to be dispensed with altogether and driving wheels to be made out of any material you like.  Rails and wheels will only need to be cleaned for aesthetic reasons, and running will be possible over rails painted in rust colour.

Steam locos will be able to feature detail between the frames and working inside motion (though the axle with the cranks may not have a motor), and mulitple units will be able to feature full detail in the guards compartment and floors at the correct depth below the windows.  

I will be a'mouldering in my grave long before any of this comes to pass, but it will come to pass...

• RMweb Gold
On 09/08/2020 at 17:08, Jenny Emily said:

Looking at the NCB yellow/blue loco, I can’t help but think that this would have been a far better model to supply factory weathered. In clean form it reminds me of cheap plastic toys from the 1970s. 

I think I might be getting the 'van liveried' NCB one for some weathering fun.

On the prototype apparently you couldn't see the yellow... 

7 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I think I might be getting the 'van liveried' NCB one for some weathering fun.

On the prototype apparently you couldn't see the yellow... 

Some people might need a trip to Specsavers....

Plenty of photos clearly showing the yellow. And it was bright and kept quite clean.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147985-70s-industrial-steam/page/12/#comments

Jason

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Some people might need a trip to Specsavers....

Plenty of photos clearly showing the yellow. And it was bright and kept quite clean.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147985-70s-industrial-steam/page/12/#comments

My bad. I think I had this Andrew Barclay in mind.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/60699808@N06/9027488617/

• Like 2

All depends on which photos you look at. looks pretty clean here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/andrew-barclay-works-no-1296-ncb-no-8-0-6-0t/

Pity it seems to have suffered theft of parts.

High Level sell one if anyone's tempted by more yellow things.

http://highlevelkits.co.uk/barclaypage.html

Jason

I've had a reply from the Bachmann Collector's Club about the J94/Austerity and the prior technical problem with the DJ Models version, regarding 'cogging' on inclines. I can't copy it here as I didn't ask for permission to, however they have advised that they have tested several of the models, on both flat and inclined track, with and without loads and found all models to be free running. Also of interest maybe that I was advised that review samples have been distributed to the model press and dispatch to retail will start next week. 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, rembrow said:

they have advised that they have tested several of the models, on both flat and inclined track, with and without loads and found all models to be free running. Also of interest maybe that I was advised that review samples have been distributed to the model press

We've seen the test track and they have replicated all sorts of real-world scenarios that modellers contrive under the guise of 'nothing wrong with my layout'. And. yes, I've got one on the photo bench as we speak and will test out some more running when I've got the inclination (ba-boom). I've given it a quick flat test and it sounds a bit sweeter than some of my originals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Moderators
On 13/08/2020 at 15:43, AY Mod said:

I've got one on the photo bench as we speak and will test out some more running when I've got the inclination (ba-boom).

4.jpg

I had a chat with @PMP yesterday to establish what parameters had induced the cogging so I could replicate it as closely as possible. This afternoon I've had a play with inclinations from 1 to 5 degrees with loads weighted from 50 - 500g behind it in various permutations and directions and not found any evidence with the review sample of any issues. So, as much as I can say is that it seems OK on test.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

4.jpg

I had a chat with @PMP yesterday to establish what parameters had induced the cogging so I could replicate it as closely as possible. This afternoon I've had a play with inclinations from 1 to 5 degrees with loads weighted from 50 - 500g behind it in various permutations and directions and not found any evidence with the review sample of any issues. So, as much as I can say is that it seems OK on test.

I dunno about gradients Boss (thanks for the info) but I really hope you were wearing dark glasses while handling it ;)

• Funny 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I dunno about gradients Boss (thanks for the info) but I really hope you were wearing dark glasses while handling it ;)

Dunno what you mean; it's lovely! I did actually request this one for the review so as to cause offence. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

4 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Just remove the NCB lettering and replace it with a double arrow, then add 94001 on the cabside.

I have a feeling that it would be 98419 if it got BR numbers.

98 for steam. 4 for power rating and 19 is it's number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_98#Registered_steam_locomotives

Jason

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

4.jpg

Marmite has a new livery I see.

• Funny 1

44 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Marmite has a new livery I see.

That was the WPR version. :prankster:

Funnily enough a couple DJM versions appeared on the Hattons preowned yesterday and went straight away. So there must still be demand for them. £95 to £100 each and both had a bit of damage with loose handrails and such.

NCB Blue and Royal Engineer if anyone is wondering.

Jason

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Try again

DJ version chassis problems.

Funny, none of my nine have ever run like that.  Within our club there must be another dozen, and nobody has reported cogging like that.  You must have had a bad one.

Within those score of locos we have had two blanking plates go smelly and have had to put lead into the smokeboxes of most.  EFE are using different blanking plates- not stated but a next18 blanking plate can't be the same as  6-pin one :) - and I'll find out when 68043 arrives if the lead plug is needed.

Les

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

4.jpg

I had a chat with @PMP yesterday to establish what parameters had induced the cogging so I could replicate it as closely as possible.

It’s very interesting to read that the cogging isn’t showing it’s head with the tests that have taken place. The DJM version I felt was ok, (apart from the cogging obvs!), but fell short of the hype that surrounded its release. I can think of a reason why this motor could improve the running, I might take a punt on an EFE version to do a back to back with my original, currently on the shelf of doom awaiting me to build an RT chassis for it!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Funny, none of my nine have ever run like that.  Within our club there must be another dozen, and nobody has reported cogging like that.  You must have had a bad one.

Les

Just to emphasise I’m referring to the DJM model not this remotored version. 

Funny, I had six through at time of release all exhibiting cogging. I subsequently had two more including an RMw edition, and three friends with at least one of each showed the same issues, descending under load. 

When others made mention theirs weren’t cogging on load, descending, no video evidence ever appeared, despite several requests. I often wondered why. Any chance of a video this time of asking ? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipy7Zn4N5kY

Edited by PMP
Predicted text guff

Mine don't run on gradients as I have none, nor are there any on the club layout except for a newly installed coal platform that is yet to be wired in.  Most of the club members locos are DCC fitted.  I've watched them down to one or two speed steps, where they manage to find dirty track rather than show cogging.

I did put a video of one of my sound fitted ones on the club layout running at 2 speed steps on dirty track when they first came out. You will find it somewhere in the DJM WD thread. 

My main beef isn't movement but the fact that the front end is too light and with finer flanges than the Hornby they derail much easier on my industrial track than Hornby ones do.  However the same track killed off a Bachmann 16xx (too rigid wheelbase) and isn't much liked by  quite a lot of other small locos of different makes.  That is what you get for trying to make it look like the prototype...   I run the DJM WDs on the better track of the preservation line on NO PLACE and the Hornby and Dapol ones in the colliery.

It will be interesting to see if 68043 when it arrives will cope with the colliery.

Addition- 65 when new and not fully run in slow running on the club layout fiddle yard.

Les

Edited by Les1952
found a vid