LMS D1746 BTO Underframe Help Needed.

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently building a an LMS Period 1 All-steel Open Brake Third to D1746. These were built by outside contractors, probably to test what was available on the market built in modern styles at the time when in-house construction was still traditional wooden bodies.

The particular one I am working on was from the batch 20 made by Leeds Forge under Lot No. 181 in 1926. These were numbered 9800-9819 in the 1932 renumbering scheme.

Bodywork from Comet sides on an old Airfix BTK  and Dapol  suburban roof was not a problem and it is sitting waiting to be mounted on a chassis.

Now comes my problem:-

The Comet instructions for the underframe don't match up with the only picture I can find which is coach 7670 which became 9816, in Jenkinson and Essery's LMS Coaches , An Illustrated History amongst other books.

The Leeds Forge underframe was truss-less. The side in the picture shows a battery box, but contrary to most LMS stock the other side also looks to have a battery box instead of the small regulator box.  

Does anyone have a photo or drawing which conclusively shows what is in the middle section of the underframe?

Thanks for reading this.

Eric.

12 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I'm currently building a an LMS Period 1 All-steel Open Brake Third to D1746. These were built by outside contractors, probably to test what was available on the market built in modern styles at the time when in-house construction was still traditional wooden bodies.

The particular one I am working on was from the batch 20 made by Leeds Forge under Lot No. 181 in 1926. These were numbered 9800-9819 in the 1932 renumbering scheme.

Bodywork from Comet sides on an old Airfix BTK  and Dapol  suburban roof was not a problem and it is sitting waiting to be mounted on a chassis.

Now comes my problem:-

The Comet instructions for the underframe don't match up with the only picture I can find which is coach 7670 which became 9816, in Jenkinson and Essery's LMS Coaches , An Illustrated History amongst other books.

The Leeds Forge underframe was truss-less. The side in the picture shows a battery box, but contrary to most LMS stock the other side also looks to have a battery box instead of the small regulator box.  

Does anyone have a photo or drawing which conclusively shows what is in the middle section of the underframe?

Thanks for reading this.

Eric.

While I can't personally help you might be better asking in the LMS coaching stock special interest group 

• Thanks 1

Hi Eric,

Volume 2 of the three volume set "The Illustrated History of LMS Standard Coaching Stock" has a detailed line drawing (taken from the trade press at the time the vehicles were introduced) of a D1746 BTO from which it would appear there were two "battery boxes", one either side.

There was also a drawing done for the January 1966 edition of the MRC featuring D1745 TO and D1746 BTO carriages but in common with a lot of these drawings, under frame detailing is not done with any great resolution. However there is an 3/4 image of D1745 TO No. 5296 (7926) which supports that two under frame boxes were fitted (it's printed on a horrible brown card/paper but the two boxes can be made out).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

6 hours ago, SP Steve said:

Volume 2 of the three volume set "The Illustrated History of LMS Standard Coaching Stock" has a detailed line drawing (taken from the trade press at the time the vehicles were introduced) of a D1746 BTO from which it would appear there were two "battery boxes", one either side.

Just the hint I needed to put 2 and 2 together. The updated version of 'Historic Carriage Drawings' which I had forgotten about has  drawing of half a side each of the Leeds Forge and Cammell Laird versions showing a battery box. It is looking from the other side to the Leeds Forge photo, so boxes on both sides it must be. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer