Freight, departmentals and specials in Sussex

• RMweb Gold

A couple of shots taken at the South Quay aggregates terminal at Newhaven yesterday. Access is more restricted than it used to be, as the boundary fences have been expanded to the east and there are solid prefab walls around much of the storage and loading areas. So the loading view was taken beyond the outer of the two chainlink fences, leaving the inner one and the palisade in the shot. 

DB Cargo 66121 at Newhaven South Quay 31 1 2022.jpg

Loading railway wagons at Newhaven’s South Quay aggregates terminal31 1 2022.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

GBRf working down to Newhaven this morning…thanks to my son who saw it at PMP on the DN and to Railrecord for the gen…

DN working Top and Tail  66741 &  66786  (rear) -   0440 Tonbridge West Yard Gbrf to Newhaven Marine Ag Tml Dbc

then 

UP working                                                                       1050 Newhaven Marine Ag Tml Dbc to Thorney Mill Gbrf

• Informative/Useful 1

In case anyone is interested, according to Railrecord….66741 and 66799 on the GBRf Newhaven working today. 

1050 ex Newhaven Marine Ag Tml Dbc to Thorney Mill GBRf.

Yesterday the DN working was top and tailed and the UP working was double headed. Quite unusual to get DH workings through Lewes. Not sure as to why they need both locos as yesterday’s working was the normal 17 JNAs, easy work for a single loco normally, unless it is for a positioning move perhaps? 

In the interest of being unbiased there is also a DB Cargo, UP working around lunch time. Don’t know the allocation yet but this is the working.

1218 ex Newhaven Day Aggregates to Acton T.C.

These additional workings could be to build up a stock pile of materials out of Newhaven because there is the shut down possession of the route from Saturday 19 to Sunday 27 February, between Three Bridges, Brighton and Lewes. Which means that nothing is likely to run in or out of Newhaven. Especially as the alternative routes are much longer and involve far too much running round or topping and tailing. 

Have a good one all. 

ATB Grizz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is interest and is in the area…just found out that the green Hasting DEMU Thumper is running from Brighton to St Leonard’s Engineering via Haywards Heath and down to Lewes this afternoon.

Working courtesy of Railrecord….sorry for the short notice….sorry it is not freight

2A5271B3-F1BF-4488-B448-64FDA2E3CF02.jpeg.81adbc026f9e346261ff9fa3c16d2589.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaaayyyy we are back on RMWEB..

This was this afternoon's UP working from Newhaven to Acton...

66024 & 66089 double headed passing Hamsey crossing, a fairly rare event in this part of the world, particularly two early EWS liveries machines.

230390151_6602466087atHamsey31stmarch2022A.jpeg.5dc656fd3d75e843f17e95eab064ec9b.jpeg

1688334622_6602466087atHamsey31stmarch2022E.jpeg.82761957a45c81f119fffc14b3f59816.jpeg

954586507_6602466087atHamsey31stmarch2022C.jpg.c995d26e8ae9d56afe2dd28635a25391.jpg

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 4

Morning All...

Just in case anyone is about or interested in seeing some freight today on the Central Division in Sussex today...

There are three freights through Haywards Heath / Wivelsfield / Lewes areas today....yes three!!!! Who would've ever thought it possible in one day! 

The GBRf working, with 66741, from Tonbridge yard to NVN and the Freightliner Heavy Haul working with 59104 have definately worked down this morning, so should work their booked paths back up (listed below). 

66050 is booked power for the DB Cargo working from Crawley New Yard to NVN, it should run so  I've show the down working below. 

The following gen is thanks to the ever helpful Railrecord.. many thanks boys! The train reporting numbers are the obfuscated ones rather than their actual allocated reporting numbers.

66741 on this one.

image.png.fa2051e919e91cff21cc25b019b78564.png

59104 on this one.....

image.png.1dab4afe402da2c4a07b527a8f126cee.png

and 66050 on this one...

image.png.156a56c48e08aa07bdee020a94828708.png

Happy days.....

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing this reminds me to place 'on the record' two 66 sightings returning home from Lewes on Monday, 4th April:

66 741 rumbling Up through Lewes at approx. 11.12.  Set of bogie open wagons, with the green and orange (?) logo.  Sorry - forgot which co. this is.

66 221 waiting to depart northwards from Three Bridges New Yard at approx. 11.55.  Very ropey set of bogie open wagons without a logo.

Both in 'old' E.W.S. livery.  I will let @Grizz hunt down the timings, etc.  Hope of use.

Edited by C126
Direction and load detail.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, C126 said:

Seeing this reminds me to place 'on the record' two 66 sightings returning home from Lewes on Monday, 4th April:

66 741 rumbling Up through Lewes at approx. 11.12.  Set of bogie open wagons, with the green and orange (?) logo.  Sorry - forgot which co. this is.

66 221 waiting to depart northwards from Three Bridges New Yard at approx. 11.55.  Very ropey set of bogie open wagons without a logo.

Both in 'old' E.W.S. livery.  I will let @Grizz hunt down the timings, etc.  Hope of use.

After a bit of digging...

The working with 66741 was this one, although the real train reporting number is different due to obfuscation.

image.png.015a6a734bdef02a90e1cc13a626512d.png

and 66221 was working this... again not the real train reporting number due to obfuscation.

image.png.9a03b9bd5a4984afbd2fc0188f2e2681.png

• Thanks 1

In case anyone is interested, according to Railrecord sightings, 66030 worked down to Newhaven this morning. 

...and allegedly 66050 is booked for the the Acton T.C. to Newhaven Marine Ag Tml Dbc....although there is no movement yet.  

Weirdly the usual return UP path back to Acton T.C. for the early DB working isn't there today. Normally it goes through Lewes around 12:30. No available UP path until 22:57 through Lewes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up...human freight is due to pass through Sussex on Saturday 23rd April, with some fairly rare haulage. Slightly off topic I know but maybe some amongst you would be interested in it. 

The Ore No More railtour will bring top and tail class 50s to such exotic Sussex locations as Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Seaford, Newhaven Marine, Lewes, Brighton (Gotham City) and Haywards Heath. 

From my personal point of view I'm well chuffed that the revised railtour will now see the 50s head up Hamsey bank out of Lewes twice and down the bank once! The weather looks to be ok so far. 

Edited by Grizz
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Just a quick heads up...human freight is due to pass through Sussex on Saturday 23rd April, with some fairly rare haulage. Slightly off topic I know but maybe some amongst you would be interested in it. 

The Ore No More railtour will bring top and tail class 50s to such exotic Sussex locations as Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Seaford, Newhaven Marine, Lewes, Brighton (Gotham City) and Haywards Heath. 

From my personal point of view I'm well chuffed that the revised railtour will now see the 50s head up Hamsey bank out of Lewes twice and down the bank once! The weather looks to be ok so far. 

Thanks for the advanced notice. I have looked at the BLS website and the timings shown only relate to the pick-up and return points at far ends of the tour. Do you have any estimates or WTT details of the times for Lewes, Newhaven or Seaford? Is it actually going into the former Marine sidings?  I know the Seaford 150 tours went there, but that was to pick up water. Would that perhaps be to avoid interfering with scheduled trains?

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

Hoping to catch sight of it somewhere along the South Coast, Barnham/Ford area. 50008 has been confirmed as one of the locos, with another of the SVR stud providing support. It is running down the Arun valley during the early evening - hopefully not too late that the sun sets before it passes.

20 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Thanks for the advanced notice. I have looked at the BLS website and the timings shown only relate to the pick-up and return points at far ends of the tour. Do you have any estimates or WTT details of the times for Lewes, Newhaven or Seaford? Is it actually going into the former Marine sidings?  I know the Seaford 150 tours went there, but that was to pick up water. Would that perhaps be to avoid interfering with scheduled trains?

Sorry Phil I don't have any more info at present. But closer to the time hopefully it'll get put up on Realtime and Railrecord. Also it may not be going to Seaford but it is booked into the Marine.

Its great to see us getting 50s into the heart of Sussex. 

• Thanks 1

• phil_sutters changed the title to Freight, departmentals and specials in Sussex

Real-time now shows several sectors with train describes starting at 1Z38 starting at Eastleigh around 0500 to Portsmouth. The describes go up by two for each additional sector so 1Z40 Portsmouth to Bognor.  1Z42 Bognor to Littlehampton etc. I got as far as 1Z52 Eastbourne to Charing Cross.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The return is the 1Z54 17:52 Cannon Street to Eastleigh, via the Arun Valley. Hopefully it will be running to time, or pretty close to time, as the weather is going to be quite pleasant and I should get a good picture from my favourite location. If it is running late it may pass after the sun has set.

I do not know when the last class 50 was in that part of Sussex. 50008 and 50015 were at the Brighton 150 celebrations, and I recall 50029 and 50030 operating a railtour along the coastway as part of the class finale. That was 30 years ago! 

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have established that the arrival time at Newhaven south aggregate terminal (formerly Marine) is 12.40pm. leaving about ten minutes later, assuming everything runs to time.

I am aiming to be at Newhaven Harbour for the arrival and at the Town level crossing on the way back.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

50007.jpg.62f5ba15af22976c45fc60a4dbcbf31b.jpg

Here is 50007 on the same tour passing through Ford station. More pictures on the 50 thread.

By coincidence I was also at Shoreham, but on the east side of the river. The view of the train crossing the bridge wasn't great so I nipped up to the station and caught it at the level crossing.

• Like 3