Kernow Model Rail Centre announce Class 50 GBRF Pack in N gauge

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

The Kernow Model Rail Centre have today announced they have commissioned Dapol to produce the GBRf Class 50s in N Gauge.

1222057873_GBRfclass50.png.fb62f0dedd1dd0d5926a290b60b30bfe.png

50 007 “Hercules” and 50 049 “Defiance” were unveiled on 20th March 2019 at Eastleigh following their repainting into GBRf colours.  50 007 was revealed to have 50 014 “Warspite” on one side, much to the delight of Tim Shoveller and Darren Ward who unveiled the change of identity!  The Kernow Model Rail Centre model will reflect this dual-identity, as well as faithfully re-creating the small but important differences between the livery of the two locomotives.

GBRf worked closely with the Class 50 Alliance, the owners of 50 007 and 50 049, in enabling a return to the mainline for their locomotives in 2017 and subsequently through a programme of railtours during 2018 as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Class 50s.

The decision to repaint the locomotives into the striking new livery was a recognition of the developing relationship between the two organisations and marked a new chapter in the story of the Class 50s.  Over the past couple of years, GBRf has invested in a programme of driver training to enable Class 50 operation over most of the UK rail network.

The repaints were carried out by Arlington Fleet Services at Eastleigh. The first outing for the GBRf-liveried Class 50s was on Saturday 23rd March when they worked Pathfinder Tours’ Teminator-Phoenixed railtour from London Paddington to Penzance and return to Waterloo.  This marked 25th years since the final BR operated Class 50 railtour over the same route, The Terminator, which was also promoted by Pathfinder.

Following the repaints, the locomotives have been available to operate selected GBRf trains on a ‘spot-hire’ basis. This work includes movement of locomotives between heritage railway gala events, and future railtours. The locomotives will continue to be based at the Severn Valley Railway, but will have easy access to the national network, thanks to the 24-hour connection at Kidderminster,

Expected in mid 2021, the price for the pack [Edit 12/05/22 the pack is supplied with one powered and one unpowered locomotive] will be £249.99 for DCC Ready, £299.99 for DCC Fitted and £449.99 for DCC Sound Fitted.

For more details and pre-ordering check the Kernow Model Rail Centre website here

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68678/2D-002-KM1-Dapol-Class-50-GBRf-Twin-Pack-Defiance-and-Hercules

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68705/2D-002-KM1D-Dapol-Class-50-GBRf-Twin-Pack-Defiance-and-Hercules

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68706/2D-002-KM1S-Dapol-Class-50-GBRf-Twin-Pack-Defiance-and-Hercules

Edited by Kernow MRC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Tried to order but it says orders over £200 free but then wants to charge £14. so will wait until that glitch is sorted but looks to be a good offer  so thanks to Kernow for taking the plunge! 

Mate says nice picture looks like his from the same day I guess there was a row of lucky folk for the day.  He says railtour to Penzance was a blast !

Robert   

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Tried to order but it says orders over £200 free but then wants to charge £14. so will wait until that glitch is sorted but looks to be a good offer  so thanks to Kernow for taking the plunge! 

Mate says nice picture looks like his from the same day I guess there was a row of lucky folk for the day.  He says railtour to Penzance was a blast !

Robert   

Not a glitch.  It is the way their cyber till works I believe.  In addition to which with the product not being available within 28 days you will be charged upon ordering and refunded within 2-3 days (this validates your card) then re-charged when the item becomes available.  It sounds fussy.  You only pay the correct price and the shipping fee is refunded for orders over the appropriate value.  

Having just logged onto the KMRC web site to place a dummy order I see that Royal Mail is £14.99 but all other delivery options are £0.00 which gives "over £200 free".  Select the option you prefer.  

Edited by Gwiwer

Oh good! Dapol and KMRC have made up? I remember that very public statement from Dapol stating they are terminating all limited edition commissions with KMRC around the time the Thumper went from Dapol to Bachmann... 

Perhaps opens the possibly again for some OO commissions? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2020 at 21:34, Gwiwer said:

Having just logged onto the KMRC web site to place a dummy order I see that Royal Mail is £14.99 but all other delivery options are £0.00 which gives "over £200 free".  Select the option you prefer.  

Ha ,there is the rub only Royal mail offer a service that I can manage where I live in Birmingham - courier based and likes of DPD/ UPS consistently have failed to deliver and local depot for Brum can be near Wolverhapton or Tamwoth (no bus to this depot!)  Herpes are and continue to be a joke - but know others have differing views on all carriers ...  

Robert   

• 1 year later...
On 15/08/2020 at 21:34, Gwiwer said:

Not a glitch.  It is the way their cyber till works I believe.  In addition to which with the product not being available within 28 days you will be charged upon ordering and refunded within 2-3 days (this validates your card) then re-charged when the item becomes available.  It sounds fussy.  You only pay the correct price and the shipping fee is refunded for orders over the appropriate value.  

And thats why I don't use Kernow any more. being overseas I get hit with Currency fluctuations and lose cash with this mucking about.

Nice 50's though! Ouch on the QC!

Edited by Georgeconna

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

And thats why I don't use Kernow any more. being overseas I get hit with Currency fluctuations and lose cash with this mucking about.

You can place any pre-orders by phone and your card will only be charged at despatch.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

53 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

You can place any pre-orders by phone and your card will only be charged at despatch.

Exactly as I did.  Or even by email.  No charge applied and no funds lost.  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Kernow are one of those companies that if you are not happy, a quick chat resolves the issue far more often than not.

Roy

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Gang,

Just picked up my pair from the Guildford shop today, and got them home eager to test them and see if all is ok. I noted that the couplings were not fitted, so I popped one on each to get them going. 
50049 ran nicely straight out of the box and 50007/014 sat there looking pretty with just lights.

On looking inside, there is no motor or driveshafts fitted to 50007, just the bogies (complete with pick ups), pcb, dummy chips, and nothing else. 

If you go back to the first post, it does state that both locos are motorised.

I rang the Guildford shop and one of the guys had a look at another one and that is the same, so he has promised to look into it and get back to me. In the interim, they do run nicely as a pair top and tailing the EFE JIAs which fell into my basket at the same time.

I’ll update you all when I get more news….

Later,

Stu from EGVN

EDIT: The paperwork included with 50007/014 states that is without a motor and some adjustments to DCC chip settings may be necessary. So it seems like a planned move to provide 1 powered and 1 dummy. But I am just a bit grumpy as it was advertised as two powered models and this reduces their flexibility somewhat…

Edited by Stu from EGDL

We apologise that an error in the description in some initial communications was made and confirm that the pack comprises of one powered and one unpowered (however both with directional lighting and or decoders  or sound fitted where appropriate).

We will accept return of the whole pack for a refund should any customers so wish.

• RMweb Premium

That is pretty disappointing. It’s not “some initial communications”, it’s every single press release and bit of information previously posted. There was nothing (prior to this afternoon with the sneaky update) on the website to make anyone think otherwise. Feels a bit underhand to now say “oh, seems some of you may be mistaken”. Well… yes. Because we were misled. 

They're lovely models, and I’ll keep mine because I want them, but slightly reluctantly given I’m paying well over £100 for a dummy, unexpectedly. Certainly takes the shine off them. 

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well they didn’t, they explicitly said that they were both powered in all the literature. It appears the first anyone knew of it was when people started questioning it upon delivery!

• RMweb Premium

Er, what…..?! I was definitely led to believe that both were powered - no confusion in my mind.

Also, in years gone by, when Dapol stopped doing dummy locos, they claimed it was because the cost of a dummy is only about £5 less, as it is literally just the cost of the motor…. I’ve had other manufacturers make the same assertion to me too, so I’m willing to believe that….

…. so on that basis, why in God’s name aren’t they just charging me a fiver more for the second loco to be powered; I’d much rather pay £255 for two powered instead of £250 for powered+dummy…. plus a function-only decoder is basically the same cost as a standard decoder, so it wouldn’t add much more in that regards either.

Feel a little bit let down by this - I would bet this has come about due to poor communication from the Dapol side…. look at all the special commissions Kernow arrange - they are not unfamiliar with commissioning and I find it hard to believe this mistake would have happened on ‘their side of the fence’…. Dapol on the other hand have a steady track record of screw-ups, especially in N gauge….