JM Design CIE 20T Goods Brake Aug 20 update

John M

I just completed the assembly of the prototype build and everything fitted together thanks to the good work of our designer Ben on his first model railway project.

The assembly was a bit of a rush job to make sure that everything fits, I haven't fitted grab irons or couplings (Bachmann tension lock in NEM pocket mount). 

Chassis is designed for OO or 21mm gauge

It was touch and go on whether our printers Clone 3D https://www.clone3d.co.nz/ could get the prototype SLA prints for the model out this week under the Covid restrictions, but did a very good job considering the number of small parts in the design.

I am planning to make a decision on the manufacturing phase of the project during the next 4-6 weeks and expect to be able to make an announcement in connection with whether the brake van will be produced as a rtr model or a kit,  price and expected availability before Mid-October.

We expect to have samples for review/inspection in Ireland from late September onwards.

The lamps and the brakes are non working but we might consider it if we blow the model up to O or Gauge 1.

IMG_5164.JPG.b8cb7953f1485ca800d22c6f560d9949.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG.c4345f12a5c4144fa3f2254c94dd7c90.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG.2bb8fa48beff8b921a54299bdf4f2fa2.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG.47579fb055fdd9bea42902e47282a87a.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG.e6e4703f781e2ea0fad8140f53b3b4cd.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The van does look very good . I was wondering how best to hide the roof join on the balcony ends - If the roof is printed could a slot be made to accommodate the curved roof stick of the canopy and perhaps have a "scale" overhang but with stiffening ribs behind the end roof stick.

Regards

Robert    

On 28/08/2020 at 19:43, Robert Shrives said:

The van does look very good . I was wondering how best to hide the roof join on the balcony ends - If the roof is printed could a slot be made to accommodate the curved roof stick of the canopy and perhaps have a "scale" overhang but with stiffening ribs behind the end roof stick.

Regards

Robert    

The model is a prototype, we are are currently revising the design to address the issues identified during assembly including the appearance of the roof.

Extending the roof at each end in addition to reducing the edge thickness should help.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Received a decorated sample of the brake van, with graphics by SSM & an Auckland based pad printing business, one of the final steps in producing the van as a rtr model.

IMG_6562.JPG.d26695302b300864e265c0ead3d1b312.JPG

IMG_6564.JPG.fa8d494c1ba32e602ae9610251b39e33.JPG

We are planning to produce the van using 3D printing technology as injection moulded plastic and resin casting were not viable options.

We expect to start marketing the van by on-line media and the model press during the first quarter of 2021 for potential release in mid-late 2021.

• Like 7