Penmaenpool in 4mm 00 gauge - BR Steam

PMP99

• RMweb Premium

Back around late 2008 I set out with the intention of building a model of Penmaenpool in 4mm 00.

This would cover the area from immediately east of the station to the loco shed at the west end.

With a certain amount of compression I figured that I could make a reasonable representation on a scenic section of 17 feet x 2 feet, with a four feet fiddle yard at each end.

The original intention was to build it as an exhibition layout and after a considerable period of research construction began.

However in 2012 we moved, ironically to a just a few miles from Penmaenpool, as part of a total career change. Unfortunately the nature of our business meant that very little progress was made for the next six years until we sold up and retired to the house we had inherited from my Parents.

After a further delay whilst this house was completely redecorated and refurbished attention turned again to progressing the layout.

By this time it was clear that building it as an exhibition layout was no longer realistic for a number of reasons.

Firstly by the time it was ever finished I would probably not feel like hiring a van that it would need to move it and secondly, two house moves had shown that my attempts to keep weight down were not really effective, and it was far too heavy and cumbersome.

Therefore a decision was made to install the layout in the garage and rebuild it as a continuous run.

This thread will be gradually updated with pictures of the construction so far and the future build, as it slowly progresses!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Construction commenced in my original garage where up to three of the baseboards could be put up at any one time (just!)

These views show the split level baseboard to allow for the river at the lower level. The fascia boards and intended lighting supports are now dispensed with.

DSCF1489.JPG

DSCF1493v2.jpg

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

An early task was to cut holes for the inspection pits outside the loco shed.  The rough holes have been concealed with plastic sheet with the pit openings cut more accuratley.

Here track is being laid towards the loco shed, although I omitted the trap point to enable that part to be slightly compressed in length.

The mass of holes visible was the result of the rather futile attempt to reduce the weight.

A temporary switch panel is visible in the first photo, made to enable testing of the point motors as they were installed.

DSCF2481v2.jpg

DSCF2482v2.jpg

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After the baseboards were painted a basic brown colour and the track sprayed in 'Sleeper Grime' a start was made on 'paving' the area around the loco shed pits. At the far end the track laying into the station area had been commenced.

DSCF2721v2.jpg

DSCF2726v2.jpg

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

All the signals required were constructed some years ago as a batch job, principally using parts from Model Signal Engineering.

DSCF2730v2.jpg

DSCF2731v2.jpg

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

A trial fitting of the loco shed some years ago. This is constructed principally from Wills plastic sheets, with limewood cladding on the ends.

Since construction additional vents have been fitted in the roof towards the rear of the shed, as per the front. The roofs of the rectangular extracts on the ridge have also been improved.

The original exit to the end F/Y can been seen. The track has now been altered to curve round for the continous run needed in the current location.

Installation of some signals had also commenced at this stage.

DSCF3114v2.jpg

DSCF3116v2.jpg

DSCF3118v2.jpg

DSCF3120v2.jpg

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 12

Just seen this.  You'll have to pop down to the Ebeneezer Chapel in Dolgellau to see the former Liverpool MRC model of Penmaenpool and Dolgellau, c1960, which a small group of us open up on occasions (not this year, obviously) as part of a Town Heritage exhibition.  It's permanently installed in the basement vestry of the chapel.  A couple of our supporters actually worked the line and one in particular did work Penmaenpool shed up to closure as a fireman.

I'll be interested to see progress.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Just seen this.  You'll have to pop down to the Ebeneezer Chapel in Dolgellau to see the former Liverpool MRC model of Penmaenpool and Dolgellau, c1960, which a small group of us open up on occasions (not this year, obviously) as part of a Town Heritage exhibition.  It's permanently installed in the basement vestry of the chapel.  A couple of our supporters actually worked the line and one in particular did work Penmaenpool shed up to closure as a fireman.

I'll be interested to see progress.

Hi, I've seen it a couple of times when it was still owned by Liverpool MRC, including once when it made a visit to Dolgellau before you took over ownership. I'm trying to remember where it was exhibited - Ty Siamas possibly?  

I never got round to seeing it again since it has been in the Chapel although I was living in Dol until two and a half years ago.

I will try and make it some time in the future when we are back to normality!

• RMweb Premium

All the previous pictures were from the early stage of the build some years ago.

These pictures start to show the layout installed in the garage at our current house.

The first picture is looking 'east' across the station area.

Some modification to the baseboards was required, including a curved cornet fillet being provided to carry the line around the curve at the higher level. (Originally it would have continued in a straight line out into the F/Y.)

Access to/from the utility room (and also through the main garage up and over door) is through a hinged gate section on the layout.

The scenic section will continue across the gate exiting through the whole in the backscene.

Some further pictures of this gated section will follow.

Dummy point rodding, using the Wills kits, is now complete along the whole layout although it awaits some weathering.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The hinged gate at the utility room end. To allow maximum width access throuh the doorway this was made quite long, so as the doorway is completely clear when folded back.

Unfortunately, this meant that the breaks in the rails are on a curve at each end which makes alignment critical.

The cut rails are soldered to brass screws at the baseboard edges.

At the non-hinged end, alignment is provided by a sliding bolt to control lateral movement, and a removable 'U' bolt to control longitudinal movement, due to slight free play in the hinges

As purchased the sliding bolt had too much free play, so the bolt itself was sleeved with thin brass tube to be a tight fit in the socket.

Electrical continuity is by means of a flying lead.

The weight at the end away from the hinges is carried on 100mm swizel castor wheels.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0185a.JPG

IMG_0185b.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The opposite side of the garage provides space for a through road, 8 storage loops and a further four sidings.  This still permits access to the work bench on that side and plenty of storage under the fiddle yard.

The F/Y is laid in Peco Code 100, rather than the Code 75 used on the scenic part of the layout.

IMG_0186.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photo
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some views of the other opening gate at the main gararage door end. 

Scenic development is in progress from this end of the layout.

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Between the engine shed site and the end of the opening section I have incorporated a bridge over a stream. 

This is fictional in this location but is there to provide additional scenic interest, and I fancied trying to model a stream setting!

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The track curves around to pass the Loco shed and the Foreman's house - the latter is still extant.  The actual line passed through a bit of a cutting immediately west of the house and I have created a similar, albeit probably deeper, feature here to disguise the sharp curve.

As the loco shed location was set before the layout was modified to be a continuous run, I have needed to angle the house round a little otherwise it would be too far from the track.

Behind the house I have created a garden consisting principally of a vegetable plot. Unfortunately, this is now largely hidden from view from the front of the layout.

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A start has been made on the embankment wall along the river. At least half the depth of the wall will be obscured by the river bank itself in due course.  Wills sheet is being used. The joins between sheets will be disguised as much as possible with fine filler.

IMG_0307.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

To get an idea of size and location a thin card mock up of the George Hotel has been constructed.  This will assist in planning the next part of the scenery that will run up to and behind the hotel building.

It has also proved useful in making a 'cutting list' for the actual hotel model to be made out of Wills sheet materials.

IMG_0308.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

That'll be a lot of sheets!

Yes, I've made a start on the shell of the building and I did go through quite a lot of packs, with quite a lot of joins!  I will post some photos of the Hotel build in due course.

• Like 1