Penmaenpool in 4mm 00 gauge - BR Steam

PMP99

• RMweb Premium

A couple more pictures of the shed area. The ballast has been toned down a bit with an acrylic wash. A heavily weathered Dapol GWR loco coal wagon is lurking outside the shed.

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The main shell of 'The George (now George III) Hotel' is complete. The walls are Wills plastic sheet. The windows were opened up roughly with a piercing saw then finished a bit more accurately with a sharp knife and a file. A plastic 'plug' was made to fit into the openings to ensure they were all made to a consistent same size.

DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

Edited by PMP99
amend text
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A start has been made on the chimneys.  These need to be sanded where excess filler is still present, then capped and chimney pots fitted.

IMG_0393.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In between progress on the hotel, a start has been made on the signal box. It is being made from thin sheet. This will later be clad where necessary to represent the planking. This will then greatly reinforce the structure.

The piece laying down is the front which will be fitted once the interior has been painted and fitted out.

IMG_0390.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Signal box windows have been made up from plastic strip and await painting and glazing. A 'representative' level frame and a 'wooden' floor have also been constructed for fitting into the interior in due course.

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

Edited by PMP99
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The inside of the signal box has been fitted out with the lever frame and various furniture and instruments.

Penmaenpool was unusual for a GWR box as the frame is along the back of the box.

The roof is removable and is being fitted with an LED for illumination. The wires will run down through a conduit in the back r/h corner of the box, behind the stove. The internal part of the stove chimney is yet to be fitted.

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The signal box is nearly complete.

The close up photos are rather unforgiving and show all the imperfections that are fortunately not noticeable at normal viewing distance.

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Ridge tiles and guttering fitted.  A representation of flashing has been done with strips of painted masking tape.
Drainpipes and balcony to be added next.

IMG_0396.JPG

Edited by PMP99
Amend text
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The George Hotel is finally complete after a correction to include the door onto the balcony!

It is just posed on my 7mm layout for testing the lights.

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Attention has turned to constructing the station building. It is a plasticard shell covered in Redutex brick textured paper. I am aiming to complete this part of the building before adding the lower extension.

C8BE4AC4-F783-4CFD-818D-21E5A29FB9EA.jpeg

EC87D2EC-6193-4749-BEBA-4ED70240F0D3.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The completed station building posed on my O gauge layout just for the pictures. A couple with the lights on too.

I am now turning my attention to the 7mm layout for a while.

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Graham,

Penmaenpool is really coming along. I've really enjoyed looking through your thread. On a family holiday (about 20 years ago now), we stopped at Penmaenpool whilst cycling back from Barmouth to Dolgellau. It brings back lots of lovely memories. 

I look forward to your future work.

All the best,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2021 at 18:10, Brinkly said:

Hello Graham,

Penmaenpool is really coming along. I've really enjoyed looking through your thread. On a family holiday (about 20 years ago now), we stopped at Penmaenpool whilst cycling back from Barmouth to Dolgellau. It brings back lots of lovely memories. 

I look forward to your future work.

All the best,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Thanks, hopefully progress will recommence soon when the garage is a bit warmer.

Yes, even with the railway unfortunately long gone, it is still a super location.

Graham

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally back to working on this layout after spending longer than intended doing things on the 7mm.

However, before I get on with more scenic developments, I took the time to fit LED lighting inside the Foreman’s house, loco shed (inside and above entrance) and also replaced the yard light pole with a working example.

51DBEC26-9C93-4111-A280-C5C4F11C324C.jpeg

4C2DBA3C-2D1F-45D4-92E0-CDCB3A9B64BD.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 11

Despite you mentioning your Penmaenpool layout quite a while ago, this is the first time I’ve found your thread and it’s great to see the progress. Remember visiting the old signal box as a kid on holiday when the RSPB had it as a hide.

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2021 at 22:47, Andrew Young said:

Despite you mentioning your Penmaenpool layout quite a while ago, this is the first time I’ve found your thread and it’s great to see the progress. Remember visiting the old signal box as a kid on holiday when the RSPB had it as a hide.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, hopefully make a bit more progress this summer now if too many other things don't get in the way! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Initial formers of foam board in place for the next stage of hillside construction near the Hotel.

IMG_1420(1).jpg

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Further build up of scenery formers.  Much of this is the course of the road above and behind the hotel.

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...