Penmaenpool in 4mm 00 gauge - BR Steam

PMP99

• RMweb Premium

A slight modification was needed to the boat landing stage, as I had forgotten the steps. This has been done and handrails added.

The fence between station building and hotel has also been fitted.

As it is now getting rather too cold to work in the garage I will be turning my attention back to my 7mm layout for a while.

IMG_1821.png

IMG_1820.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The layout is really coming to life now and you have my sympathies about the cold. Part of my income is generated in my garage, so I have a little heater down there. With it being under our flat, at least the rising heat gets used twice.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The layout is really coming to life now and you have my sympathies about the cold. Part of my income is generated in my garage, so I have a little heater down there. With it being under our flat, at least the rising heat gets used twice.

Thanks, yes it’s starting to look more the part now.  I could put a heater on in the garage, but I try to avoid the expense if possible.

There are some things I may be able to progress indoors like the section of toll bridge, which is probably the next thing to build anyway.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back to progressing this layout.

Further plaster bandage scenery has been built up, and teddy bear fur starting to be applied.

177F463F-E255-4D4A-91DC-E3E6DD57AEC9.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Andrew Young said:

The teddy bear fur looks good. I’ve seen it done at an exhibition demo but have no experience of using the stuff myself. 

What are you using to colour the fur Graham, acrylic paint?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes, just various artists acrylic.

The first lot I did at the other end of the layout I made too thick and wet.

This end has worked better with the paint only slightly thinned and more like a ‘dry brushing’ technique used. 
Even that has matted a bit more than I wanted in places, but I’m happier with the end result.

Graham

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

Thanks Graham, noted. 

Think the teddy bear fur makes a very good alternative to static grass. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

It does cover big areas very quickly and pretty economically, although takes a lot of trimming.

I’m going to try and add some static grass to some places fairly soon, as I’ve not experimented with that yet.

Graham 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The station area has been ballasted. Also, the supports for the two platform shelters have been made and installed.

Next is to try applying some static grass near the siding and each side of the main line in places.

98D9252F-B60D-4B3E-9DCA-FC59D97406BB.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First attempts with the static grass.  The piece around the buffer stop, and directly behind the platform supports, was done with a ‘precision’ applicator. 
However, the slightly larger area between siding and road was built up using the bigger sized ‘micro’ applicator as the capacity of the precision one was just too small.

All the bare areas will be treated in due course.

67F7EE06-29AD-4CEF-A795-4947C01A449D.jpeg

93689B76-D1ED-4F47-9097-606F2E77202A.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Coming along nicely Graham, the scenery and platforms transform the model. 

Had our lunch at Penmaenpool on Friday. Sat where the up platform would’ve been. There would’ve been few platforms with a better view. 

9880BD0B-5710-48CA-A124-454F7D058850.jpeg.595699898d91dbcfaa7f6162a82a2849.jpeg

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The last few months have seen the original fiddle yard taken up, as the design of it was not particularly logical, and the points were not motorised, nor did they have live frogs.

The new design is longer, has more roads, points with all live frogs and Seep point motors controlling them.

In addition there are six short storage sidings at one end.

Completion on this has now allowed all the stock to be brought out for the first time, and a programme of some weathering, fitting lamps and adjusting couplings has taken place.

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2892.jpeg

IMG_2894.jpeg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wasn’t entirely happy with the teddy bear fur due to the paint clogging it, and a rather too dark colour in places.

Therefore I have applied a static grass mix over the top.

Need to add more bushes and trees.

IMG_3300.jpeg

IMG_3299.jpeg

• Like 12

• 3 months later...