GNSR station building

Hi, wondered if anyone had any plans/drawings for the style of GNSR station building seen at Knockando, Knock, Drummuir etc. It would be great if you could help, if not think I might try the GNSRA.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Natalie Graham

The HMRS Journal Vol 17 issue 10 had an excellent article on these buildings and I think (from memory) there was a drawing. There were certainly some very good photos that would be very useful if you were building a model.

Guest Natalie Graham

The GNSRA produced a book in 1997, "Modelling the Great North of Scotland Railway" ISBN 0 902343 08, which contains a drawing of Knockando Station Building.

I knew I could recall seeing one somehwere.

Thanks for the help very useful. Had a look on the GNSRA website for the book but couldn't find it, anyone know if it's still in print?Cheers

Googling the book's title lets you access a GNSRA sales list from 2008, in which the book is listed as a "Bargain".I suspect, if they were attempting to sell off stock, then they weren't terribly good sellers and a reprint isn't planned.

I would suggest, however, that it might be worth contacting them in the off chance that a few spare copies are still around. Failing that, maybe putting up a classified advert on here?

Guest Natalie Graham

It is a very nice little book if you can get a copy. Here's a couple for sale. I have one somewhere but no I don't wish to part with it. According to the BRMNA index of drawings there was a drawing of Ballater station (I can't remember what style that is) in July 1993 Railway Modeller and station plans (possibly track plans rather than building drawings?) of "11 GNSR Stations" in July 1993 Railway Modeller.

It is a very nice little book if you can get a copy. Here's a couple for sale. I have one somewhere but no I don't wish to part with it. According to the BRMNA index of drawings there was a drawing of Ballater station (I can't remember what style that is) in July 1993 Railway Modeller and station plans (possibly track plans rather than building drawings?) of "11 GNSR Stations" in July 1993 Railway Modeller.

A picture says a thousand words:

2141738923_b03e717041.jpg

(Original image, fell free to reuse as you wish - more here, although most are badly framed and rather indiscriminate)

The GNSRA book on the Deeside line includes a good few good photos of the stations on this line. Ballater, the Cambus-o-May Halt and the GNSR-built Braemar Bus Station are similar in style to Knockando, although I'm not sure how useful Ballater is as prototype.

Thanks for all the help, think I will have to buy the book! Have got quite a lot of the other GNSRA publications which are all good reads! The pictures of Ballater are interesting Hammer but not really what I was thinking of.

Thanks again

Hi,

The GNSRA have a series of drawings - buildings, coaches, locos etc available for members to purchase. Knockando station building is amongst them - beautifully drawn by Keith Fenwick.

Some pics of the station when in use as a reception centre by the Tamdhu distillery.

post-3695-127507124741_thumb.jpg

post-3695-127507126324_thumb.jpg

post-3695-127507128494_thumb.jpg

Well worth joining the association for the newsletter and access to the archives but mainly to relive the great days of this fascinating railway.

HTH

Bruce

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Probably somewhat late with this but there is a plan for Urquhart station in Railway Modeller June 2012 in 'martinwales' Kinmundy article.

- Its not the exact same as knockando but as it is drawn to scale you might get some useful measurements as all the buildings appeared to be of a broadly similar constuction style, especially the timber ones.

• 6 years later...

Probably way to late to be of interest to the 45562, but just in case there is someone else following this tril, I am advised that the GNSRA now has "Kits of Great North of Scotland Railway Stations ; goods sheds ; signalboxes and engine sheds" available for sale.  In the words of Des Bryne of that organisation:

The kits are on a CD the price of the cd is £25. This weekend at £20. The buildings on the cd are

Drummuir station , signal boxes,  veranda and goods shed same as many others

Blacksboat station and goods shed

This is the same as many other small granite stations.

Oldmeldrum / Crathes / Milltimber station

Kennethmont  same as 3 others

Macduff Peterhead Fraserburgh Alford engine shed.

St combs / Cairnbulg station plus grounded van shelter.

All are in gnsr paint scheme OO gauge.

• Informative/Useful 2

That's useful, thanks. I'll have to indulge myself. I still have a model I made of Knockando by sizing the drawings in "Modelling the Great North of Scotland Railway" on the office photocopier and pasting them on to mounting board before adding roofing slates and other details. The windows were done by photocopying a set of the plans on to acetate and using the mounting board brown side out - proved remarkably effective.