Heljan announce OO and O Yorkshire Engine's Class 02

AY Mod

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

We know Triang were both very clever, but ultimately compromising in many / most applications, hence my general comments.

YES, I know they're miles different in obvious details, but the general comment remains - I think this is the actual locomotive implied in the Triang / Hornby Dock shunter.

There's no 'verandah' at the back of the Triang one, but the very general shape is really quite similar - with a tad of imagination of course.

Al.

Triang must have had a good crystal ball then.

The Triang "model" came out two years before they were built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3

I wouldn't mind one of these for my small industrial fleet, when the OO model comes out.

I must say I was slightly amused by the advertising hype for the O gauge version: "all-wheel drive and pick up"! For an 0-4-0, I think we would expect that. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dava said:

Looks like a nice model, but I have to ask why?

There have been 3 kits in 7mm scale I can count including the easy to build DJH one. Other BR 0-4-0 shunter types are available as prototypes, some much more numerous and which worked in wider areas such as Scotland. A Barclay 01 or 06, NBL or R&H loco would have been something new. The 20 02s didn’t work much beyond Merseyside.

Dava

Because most railway modellers aren't railway modellers, it's a lot easier to sit on your hands, not learn any new skills, wait for a box to open then find fault with it.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Isn't this essentially the same as the famous Hornby 'Dock Shunter'?

Al.

I think where you may be going wrong is that it’s not the Tri-ang Dock Shunter  that you mean , but the more modern 0-4-0 diesel that uses the “Smokey Joe” chassis , that is a Hornby model . I think that is supposed to be a class 2 , but probably more of an interpretation of the model to get it to fit on an existing chassis .  However this Heljan one will be a scale model and I’m sure will be an accurate model of the class.

So to answer your question not the Dock Shunter but possibly the Hornby 0-4-0 diesel Shunter that dates fro the 80s 

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive been thinking to do the DJM kit for years, 

Unfortunate typo? DJH, surely?

16 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Heljan seem to be developing a niche in small diesel shunters 

Ahhh, so much more positive and diplomatic than my initial thought, which was ‘ploughing the same old furrow’. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, truffy said:

Ahhh, so much more positive and diplomatic than my initial thought, which was ‘ploughing the same old furrow’. 

Heljan have done well with their small shunters, I would be more inclined to the positives in this.

Roy

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I think where you may be going wrong is that it’s not the Tri-ang Dock Shunter  that you mean , but the more modern 0-4-0 diesel that uses the “Smokey Joe” chassis , that is a Hornby model . I think that is supposed to be a class 2 , but probably more of an interpretation of the model to get it to fit on an existing chassis .  However this Heljan one will be a scale model and I’m sure will be an accurate model of the class.

So to answer your question not the Dock Shunter but possibly the Hornby 0-4-0 diesel Shunter that dates fro the 80s 

Hornbys 1980’s 0-4-0 diesel is a very small nod towards a class 06.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Because most railway modellers aren't railway modellers, it's a lot easier to sit on your hands, not learn any new skills, wait for a box to open then find fault with it.

Mike.

These days it takes great skill to extract a model from its packaging, particularly with O gauge.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

FINALLY! 

Yes there have been kits but this is very welcome. 

I just hope it can be P4'd without an engineering faff...

Look at it as a new source material. Yes it will come out of a box but it's the gilding that will bring out the full potential.....

Edited by iak

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye but will the wasp striped locos be the fully industrialised versions? They looked substantially different.

https://flic.kr/p/9LQCha

P

As the other industrial liveries are ex BR were there full wasp stripe versions elsewhere that were ex BR? It looks a fairly easy option for them to tool as it looks like a box that sits on the footplate effectively, although a separation line would be inevitable. 

Edited by PaulRhB

11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

We know Triang were both very clever, but ultimately compromising in many / most applications, hence my general comments.

YES, I know they're miles different in obvious details, but the general comment remains - I think this is the actual locomotive implied in the Triang / Hornby Dock shunter.

There's no 'verandah' at the back of the Triang one, but the very general shape is really quite similar - with a tad of imagination of course.

Al.

I think the general consensus is that the Triang Dock shunter is very loosely based on a Bagnall prototype like this one. 

https://chasewaterrailwaymuseum.blog/tag/diesel-shunters/

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Legend said:

You're thinking of the "Class 06" model there which is not the same thing at all and probably top of my diesel wish-list these days .

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, frobisher said:

You're thinking of the "Class 06" model there which is not the same thing at all and probably top of my diesel wish-list these days .

No I think he means the modern Bagnall derived start set diesel in the middle of this pic ;)

49B26BEA-5A10-43E5-8803-72F3080F25E8.jpeg.c5c05bf250011f011476d99a7d35c76a.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hornbys 1980’s 0-4-0 diesel is a very small nod towards a class 06.

You’re right adb, I got confused , the more recent Hornby Shunter is supposed to be an 06 , not 02 .  

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

You’re right adb, I got confused , the more recent Hornby Shunter is supposed to be an 06 , not 02 .  

The most recent of the "Railroad" shunters is meant to be a Bagnall.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/430480/hornby_r3755_bagnall_diesel_shunter_0_4_0_d9706_in_br_green_railroad_range/stockdetail.aspx

The one from the 1980s is meant to be a 06.

First appeared in 1987.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=1951

I suppose they have four wheels but I don't understand why we are even mentioning them....

Jason

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I suppose they have four wheels but I don't understand why we are even mentioning them....

It's a form of group therapy.  

At least while we're muttering about these, we're not using the F*** word.

• Funny 1

On 16/09/2020 at 23:50, Dava said:

Looks like a nice model, but I have to ask why?

There have been 3 kits in 7mm scale I can count including the easy to build DJH one. Other BR 0-4-0 shunter types are available as prototypes, some much more numerous and which worked in wider areas such as Scotland. A Barclay 01 or 06, NBL or R&H loco would have been something new. The 20 02s didn’t work much beyond Merseyside.

Dava

A few of them got about. I have photos of them at Newton Heath, Oldham (Lees) shed, Reddish, Lostock Hall, Preston, Blackpool North, and a little further afield under repair at Derby Works, and in the roundhouse at Burton, D2859 was allocated there from 31/12/60 until 10/64. D2859 then spent a shot spell up at Newton Heath MPD before transferring to Goole shed (50D) in 07/67, along with D2865 where it stayed until withdrawn 03/70.

So scope for them to appear in a few other places than around the Liverpool area. They got even further afield in industrial service, and if my memory is correct, I seem to remember a reference in a Rly Observer that two of them went on loan from BR to Pennyfordd Cement Works in the late 60's.

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123
Correct spelling mistake.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1