Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

I think the thing to remember here is that we don't know what the agreement is between Cavalex and the factory and I expect that information is kind of sensitive. 

As I've said already, I think they've made one hell of a decision here and one I really think should increase their reputation. I'm therefore sure Cav and Alex will make the best decision they can regarding what to do with this stock of HAA's for the betterment of their business, etc. I'm sure all options will be taken into consideration :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

To the guys at Cavalex.

For what its worth, i would advertise them as incorrectly assembled and at a discounted price. If they are to be 'written off' it would be such a shame for them to end up simply being thrown away or packed away in a dark corner of a warehouse. I am sure that good use would be made of them by modelers in general and as always, everyone loves a bargain.

Its worth consideration

I'd say that would reduce sales of the corrected ones, so would be a bad idea, but then it's not my business. Maybe after the corrected ones have sold through.

• Agree 2

While it is "disappointing" that we will have to wait longer for our wagons (truly, a first world problem), I have to echo other people in this thread to say: a massive boost in respect to Cavalex for this move. It would be so easy for them to just push ahead with the models as they are, but they want to provide models of the best quality, and that excites me.

I said it before in this thread, but having two successful, high-quality, and still reasonably priced manufacturers producing the kinds of "modern" wagons I'm interested in can only be a good thing. This move makes me more excited to see what Cavalex will come out with in the future, because you know it will be of the best possible quality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

To the guys at Cavalex.

For what its worth, i would advertise them as incorrectly assembled and at a discounted price. If they are to be 'written off' it would be such a shame for them to end up simply being thrown away or packed away in a dark corner of a warehouse. I am sure that good use would be made of them by modelers in general and as always, everyone loves a bargain.

Its worth consideration

It is not that simple though is it?

Firstly, who is paying for the replacement models? If it is the factory, financial impacts on Cavalex may not be big. Secondly, if Cavalex are not paying for replacements, who actually owns the models in question? Thirdly, what will the impact be on orders of the corrected model? Will people cancel? I am sure there are more questions.

I don't suggest that I know the answers to any of this and I don't expect answers. Just highlighting what must be factored into the decision.

Looking forward to my 36 when they are corrected and delivered. My only slight regret is that I was a good and paid for them when asked last week rather than waiting!

Roy

• Agree 1

Well I can’t wait for these.  It’s a shame Cavalex and the two retailers have got this set back but having handled the samples at Alexandra Palace I am confident they’ll be worth the wait.  Being a hair shirt wearing P4 modeller it was great to see first hand what’ll be needed for conversion (fair easier than a Hornby model!).  And look at that CDA! The cover is beautifully rendered.

49F31C9F-3FA3-42D3-8A88-234FE7C389B5.jpeg

490B19CE-FF0E-48E7-8AFC-3F511981240D.jpeg

D6F4DA81-93A1-4660-92CF-B6729023E1E2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2022 at 11:48, Roy Langridge said:

It is not that simple though is it?

Firstly, who is paying for the replacement models? If it is the factory, financial impacts on Cavalex may not be big. Secondly, if Cavalex are not paying for replacements, who actually owns the models in question? Thirdly, what will the impact be on orders of the corrected model? Will people cancel? I am sure there are more questions.

I don't suggest that I know the answers to any of this and I don't expect answers. Just highlighting what must be factored into the decision.

Looking forward to my 36 when they are corrected and delivered. My only slight regret is that I was a good and paid for them when asked last week rather than waiting!

Roy

Depending on where the fault is, some parts may be recycled for the correct batch - wheels, coupling, cradle etc., if the factory are funding it.

With the other model being released, it's  not a very good time , to sell faulty wagons of this type....

P.S. on the sample in post above, cradle looks a more railfreight red/orange than the other offering, unless it is just the light?

Edited by Torbay Express
Addition

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

P.S. on the sample in post above, cradle looks a more railfreight red/orange than the other offering, unless it is just the light?

The real wagons 'red' cradles were painted in the standard Railfreight Red/Orange as is ours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RBE said:

The real wagons 'red' cradles were painted in the standard Railfreight Red/Orange as is ours.

Cav,that is what I were saying, it looks a very good ex-works 1980's Railfreight, compared to my pack from somewhere else that looks a little too pinky orange. 

Will be ok if/when I ever get round to weathering them (seen some dirty ones with this sort of colour/with this fade on Paul Bartlett's site), unless it is just the loft lighting......

Edited by Torbay Express
Clarity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, RBE said:

Being old enough to remember these when first repainted into Railfreight Red, I think the colour in the photo above looks about right.

It also has to be kept in mind that what that red colour stands against changes what it looks like at as well. Look at an ex-works Railfreight 58, the red looks different under the grey compared to under the yellow.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if this has been listed somewhere else in the thread, but do you have wagon numbers for the different packs, particularly of the CDAs? I want to run a mixed rake of the ECC ones you're making and Accurascale's EWS ones, so would rather avoid clashing numbers. 

2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Sorry if this has been listed somewhere else in the thread, but do you have wagon numbers for the different packs, particularly of the CDAs? I want to run a mixed rake of the ECC ones you're making and Accurascale's EWS ones, so would rather avoid clashing numbers. 

Maybe best to ask Trains4U or KMS -are they having different individual wagon numbers like with the HAA.

• 1 month later...

How close are the First and Last HAAs to reaching these shores?  I thought I read somewhere that although the first part of the main production had errors and were being reworked, this would not affect the production of the models for Locomotion.

Edited by Bishdurham

On 03/07/2022 at 13:53, Bishdurham said:

How close are the First and Last HAAs to reaching these shores?  I thought I read somewhere that although the first part of the main production had errors and were being reworked, this would not affect the production of the models for Locomotion.

Hi Bishdurham,

We are just waiting to hear from the factory on when they will be on their way.
The first and last for Locomotion Models are due to be shipped with the next batch but we are awaiting further information.
We will provide updates as and when we know more.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 11:43, 47007stratford said:

Hi,

it has been a while since the orginal batches of the HAA were found to have a production issue, Is there any update as to when the new batches will be delivered

Hi 47007stratford,

Sadly, the models have had to be completely remade from scratch which as I am sure you can understand takes time for the factory to complete. Unfortunately, this has also had an impact on production for the whole project.
The factory is hoping to have the first batch of Models ready for shipping at the end of the month. We apologise for the delay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Surprised that this hasn’t appeared on here yet.  I got an email on Thursday from Trains4U saying a number of the original batch of wagons had been reassembled properly and weathered and are now available only to these who pre-ordered the original wagons.

I ordered 3 packs of the “shunter bands” weathered version (there are also uniformly weathered ones available) and was told that these shunter band wagons have been very popular, so don’t hang about!

CA5D9042-599D-4815-8EBE-6B6D0C0AFB74.jpeg

• Like 4

We are working through the wagons and it is taking time!

We now have sufficient to supply both ourselves and KMS with a batch to sell.  

Given that our  pre-order customers have been waiting patiently for rectified models, we all felt it would be best to give them first refusal, and at no additional cost.

The initial delivery contained varying quantities of each version.  We thought the fairest way to handle this is for the batch to be split evenly down the middle between Trains4U and KMS Railtech and we each have evenly split quantities of all 12 different packs.

This means that we have some KMS branded packs, and KMS have some Trains4U branded packs, but this only applies to the weathered versions.

We are planning to release the wagons generally in a week or so, once we have contacted our preorder customers.

The weathered packs will be available in two versions 

A version - evenly weathered

2F2FB0DB-F454-4462-9AC6-67D116A6CE06.jpeg.c3063cc488eb067361e58147bab205d5.jpeg

B version - with tyre shunter marks

BFADF2F2-244A-43D9-BDAB-910CC8B8B3CE.jpeg.657760d0f28eabccf9a417c92fad4c7f.jpeg

On general release, the weathered packs will be available at £99.95 per pack of three.

We are still working through them (there are a lot) so there may be a short wait whilst we complete subsequent batches of weathering.

Meanwhile, the remanufactured clean wagons are getting close to being shipped and we look forward to making them available soon.

These will be available at £89.95 per pack.

Thanks again

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jack97m said:

I’ve ordered from KMS but haven’t heard from them yet will I get contacted next week or will i have to contact them. 

Sorry, yes, we’re working through emails just now. The models arrived with us yesterday and we’ll be getting them out from tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My rake from Trains4U arrived today too, with the overall weathering and no shunter bands.

Fine work by Trains4U and Cavalex, and very nice models overall. Personally, though, I'm finding the weathering a bit too heavy on almost all of them, most being almost black (like the middle one of the three pictured). But that's my personal taste so others' may vary, of course

20220817_185932.jpg

20220817_190213.jpg

20220817_210334.jpg

20220817_210339.jpg

20220817_210355.jpg

Edited by Dragonfly
More photos
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 19:32, Dragonfly said:

My rake from Trains4U arrived today too, with the overall weathering and no shunter bands.

Fine work by Trains4U and Cavalex, and very nice models overall. Personally, though, I'm finding the weathering a bit too heavy on almost all of them, most being almost black (like the middle one of the three pictured). But that's my personal taste so others' may vary, of course

If the weathering is too heavy and you are not satisfied with them, we will be happy to supply a rake with lighter weathering, or exchange them for pristine wagons which are due soon.

our weathering has been carried out using photographs for reference, and we have tried to replicate in-service condition, but I can understand that the weathering may be a bit heavy for some tastes.

We are trying a lighter touch with the next batch to see how they work out, and we have opportunity to try a “lightly weathered option”

The weathered wagons are now available from ourselves and KMS in limited numbers at £99.95 per pack of three, with twelve different packs available.

http://www.trains4u.com/c/656/Cavalex

9 hours ago, Trains4U said:

our weathering has been carried out using photographs for reference, and we have tried to replicate in-service condition, but I can understand that the weathering may be a bit heavy for some tastes.

Certainly looks like how I remember them in their later years, some looked pretty dark. All depends on the era being modelled etc.