KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

On 08/10/2020 at 18:02, johndon said:

Probably more than you'd imagine as the two inner tanks, on the real thing, are lower than the outer two.

John

John

Do you have reliable information on this? I am informed that the GA does not show the tanks so the drawing now transmitted to KRM has the 4 of them alongside one another. Other corrections, some more noticeable externally than these, have been transmitted to KRM by a colleague.

If you, or anyone else, has accurate information about the tanks I would be pleased to receive it and pass on bartlett.paul@tiscali.co.uk

For others to note there are 7 internal vertical battens on each door.

Paul

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

John

Do you have reliable information on this? I am informed that the GA does not show the tanks so the drawing now transmitted to KRM has the 4 of them alongside one another. Other corrections, some more noticeable externally than these, have been transmitted to KRM by a colleague.

I don't have a drawing to back it up but both the Bradwell and Alexander versions of the wagons have the two centre tanks slightly lower and I have anecdotal evidence from an ex railwayman I spoke to a number of years ago.

I have, literally, hundreds of photos of these wagons but any that are low enough down to see under the wagon suffer from shadows that mean that the centre tanks are pretty much hidden.

John

On 09/10/2020 at 13:47, Roy Langridge said:

Point me to a single manufacturer thread where advice and omission and errors have not been pointed out?

It is all part of the process today.

True. But I guess the expectation that errors and omissions would be corrected here is a differentiating factor. Not unique, as noted earlier, but not widespread either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D9001 said:

When KR release the Fell, GT3 and now these hoppers to considerable acclaim and sell them by the shedload, some people on here will be apoplectic with bile and rage. 

Sad. 

I disagree. Just because contributors are surprised at the apparent lack of reasonable research doesn't mean that they hope the project will be any less than a rip roaring success.

Contributors expressing concern should not be misinterpreted as wishing the project or the organisation ill.

I have expressed my concern but if, as I hope, the project is a success, I'll be buying a rake of hoppers. Even though I already have two kit built rakes.

In fact, I may buy rakes in both gauges offered. 

• Like 10

Hi, very excited to hear this news, have you considered doing either a pack of 10 or 1 individual truck as lots of modellers make trains of 10 trucks which causes a problem with only packs of 3,6 and 9 available.

thanks Fred

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, very excited to hear this news, have you considered doing either a pack of 10 or 1 individual truck as lots of modellers make trains of 10 trucks which causes a problem with only packs of 3,6 and 9 available.

thanks Fred

erm, they were only ever in rakes of 9 wagons. Three rakes I think. With all the flack KR Models get these days I can only imagine the uproar if they offered a 10 pack LOL

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

erm, they were only ever in rakes of 9 wagons. Three rakes I think. With all the flack KR Models get these days I can only imagine the uproar if they offered a 10 pack LOL

Until the 9Fs arrived, they ran in rakes of 8. I believe that 30 wagons were built in total. 

john

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Presumably they also ran singly from time to time - to/from works for repair/overhaul?

I apologise for any copyright infringements but the answer is probably, yes.

post-24907-0-44488300-1527077069_thumb.jpg.751729484197ab30d0ca2ba701487f9a.jpg

• Like 6

The one in the photo (taken by Trevor Ermel) that Bob posted has 'Tyne Dock Shops' chalked on the side so it is either going to either Tyne Dock shed or Simonside Wagon Works.  I do have a photo of one wagon off it's bogies inside Tyne Dock shed.

John

Edited by johndon

1 hour ago, johndon said:

The one in the photo (taken by Trevor Ermel) that Bob posted has 'Tyne Dock Shops' chalked on the side so it is either going to either Tyne Dock shed or Simonside Wagon Works.  I do have a photo of one wagon off it's bogies inside Tyne Dock shed.

John

Apologies to Trevor Ermel.

I think you can see that the beginning of the chalked inscription suggests Tyne Dock but I can't make out the last bit. It would be nice to have one so inscribed but although I have evidence of ore trains through Newton Hall Junction, it's unlikely that they would have travelled that way on route to either shed or works.

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So I could justify having a single one of these on a layout not based on Consett or Tyne Dock, albeit not on a GWR single track branch and probably not running it on a daily basis.  I rather like the train formation you've just illustrated.

Two of them made it to Sheerness and were used at the Steelworks internally!

Others survived at Lackenby as iu flats or Bolsters!

• 3 weeks later...